PDA

View Full Version : Initiative knight (Pathfinder and D&D)

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-05-19, 06:56 AM
So I've had this idea for a while, a tanky knight build that has a high initiative.

I haven't quite figured out base race, but using the dunesage template from Pathfinder, it gives intelligence as a bonus to initiative, and gives +2 con and Cha and a +4 to int, -2 Dex. It also grants a DR 5/-, so that's pretty useful.
Obviously feat wise taking (or possobly getting it racially) improved initiative, and using the reationary Pathfinder trait. With all that it should be easy enough to get around a +10 initiative or higher.
This is mostly so the knight can charge forward and use test of mettle before the enemy has a chance of going after any other allies.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-05-19, 07:01 PM
If you're going to be charging, you might want to take feats like Shock Trooper and Leap Attack.

AnimeTheCat
2018-05-19, 07:25 PM
Because you're talking about "Tank" and throwing Knight out there, I'm going to assume you're in a low to mid OP game.

So, if you're not overly concerned with damage output and you're focusing primarily on Test of Mettle, consider leaving strength at 12 or even 10 and focusing primarily on Dex. Start with 18 dex a chain shirt and a heavy shield and have a 20 AC. Play as a human or strongheart Halfling and pick up shield Specialization and shield ward to get 21 AC and 17 touch AC (22 and 18 if halfling).

This works well in conjunction with the knights shield block class ability as well. Since your focus is not on damage output, rather test of mettle, put the points you would have dumped in to strength into charisma. When you get the chance pick up gauntlets of heartfelt blows to add your Cha mod to dmg.

A dip in marshal gives you a minor aura keyed off your charisma giving you a bit of support ability with minimal investment. A 2 level dip in paladin may not be bad either for charisma to saves for a little padding there.

Last thing you may want to consider if you're not focusing exclusively on damage and more on surviving incoming attacks, combat expertise and the broadblade shortsword. When you combat defensively or use combat expertise to trade 2 points of BAB you get an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC. Good thing about dodge bonuses is that they add to your weakest AC (touch).