PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf Multiclassing Mix (long) updated

ZorroGames
2018-05-19, 08:13 AM
Suggestions to achieve this goal welcome. 🧐 Carping from the usual sources expected. 🤫. Time to start focusing on what characters I want to play long term. 🤨

As a minor aside to my Mountain Dwarf addiction and my fascination with gold (bad color choice for my vision/screen background) and sky blue (worse, use dark green,) level MC mixes I want to keep My “Order of the Stars” MC stable of characters as compact as possible (like no more than 10 and ideally only 6 to 8 Mountain Dwarf characters.)

*(though only 3 of my current seven characters - experimented with others - are Mountain Dwarf)*

So as a first Draft I put down on paper this goal of PC class/Dip mixes:

Fighter X/Barbarian 4. Character name Rurik.

Bard X/Paladin 2 or 4 or 6. Final Paladin level dependent on Bard subclass chosen. Character name Riswynn.

Cleric X/Ranger 5. Characters are my test character (still Tier 1) Joli, expendable Variant Human Gloomstalker 3 and her intended replacement Oskar.

Monk (Kensai) X/ Ranger (Hunter) 4 name undecided. Ranger class duplication a concern.

Rogue TBD - see #2 below.

Sorcerer X/Paladin 2. Character Dagnal.

Warlock X/Fighter 1. Character Finellen. Repeat Fighter class concern. But a Starting level of Fighter seems so flavorful.

Wizard TBD - see #1 below.

Issues with TBD characters are

1). Wizards really only seem to benefit noticeably from dips to F/1 or Cleric /2 before losing a lot (too much?) of steam as Wizards. Fighter and Cleric also duplicate classes above.

2). Given that I really like Rogue dip Fighter and Rogue dip Ranger flavor perspective but trying to avoid too many overlaps, nothing other than Mountain Dwarf has been decided.

May just skip Rogue and Wizard for now.

Current other characters are

Wizard 2/Fighter 1 V. Human early Wizard class experiment Marcon.
Cleric 2 dip Fighter 1 Traubonn. Forge Cleric rebuild from Life.
Earth Genasi Fighter 5 experiment Clay, the “magic item magnet” of my characters.
Open Hand Mountain Dwarf Monk 5 Flint. First character played in 5e. See below.
Forest Gnome Fighter 4 (EK) Burgell, victim of Wild Elf Genocide on his village. Another experiment that stuck around,
And an “in consideration” Ranger 5+/Fighter 4 Taklinn, double class duplication issues.

It has been suggested that Flint take a 1-2 level dip in Cleric for support spells to concentrate on but holding off on that decision for now.

ZorroGames
2018-05-19, 09:39 AM
Updated Draft after some research and online advice.

Fighter X/Barbarian 4. BM? Champion?

Bard X/Warlock Hexblade 2. Bard subclass TBD.

Sorcerer X/Pal 2 shadow Sorc?

Cleric X/Ranger 5 (Hunter or Gloomstalker)

Monk Shadow 8+/Rogue Swashbuckler 5+

And....

The last aka leftovers...

Wait for it...

Yes I know how crazy it seems...

Rated Black, I know...

Wizard (Conjurer 14)/Shepherd Druid 6

Druid and Wizard were left and I just put them together. Summon stuff and react to what develops.

Better, I hope.

Tikkun
2018-05-19, 07:31 PM
I will suggest a couple for your entertainment purposes:

(1) A Mountain Dwarf monk of the Way of the Long Death 14/ Life Cleric 6

On the path down from their mountain home to sell some of the valuable gems they had uncovered, Devont's family was ambushed by bandits/ogres/orcs (your call). Though putting up a staunch defense, and taking 2 of the miscreants down, Devont took a blow to the head and tumbled off the path and down the slope. Hours later, he dragged his bruised and cut body up the slope to find his family massacred and their property stolen/taken/destroyed. Despite the grievous, and mortal wounds, sustained by his parents and siblings, Devont spent the night with bandages, potions and slim medical skill trying to coach the life spark back to his family with no success. Cursing his lack of knowledge, Devont vowed to study death until he could become it's master. His steps took him to the mountain retreat of a small monastery that studies death in all it's manifestations. Years of study and intense martial arts training took him to the very pinnacle of accomplished practitioners. The abbot of the monastery called him in and revealed to him the most important secret possessed by the Monks of the Long Death. "We study death to learn from it," said the abbot, "but we also are priests of Life. Because Life and Death are the opposite sides of the coin of Existence." So began a decade of study of the Gods of Life and mastering the powers of both Life and Death. Devont leaves the monastery for revenge/to gain new knowledge/to preach the duality of existence.

Devont gains temp hp's when he kills a mob, can cause those who fail a saving throw to run in fear from him, can prevent his own death, heal himself, heal others and eventually heal himself when he heals others.

(2) Warlock2/Abjurer Wizard 18 Mountain Dwarf

Devont in his anguish calls upon all that is holy and unholy to assist him in his quest for revenge/enlightenment. The pact is made (choose any of the assorted patrons though I am partial to Celestial for the heals). Two levels of Warlock for the invocations, one of which is Armor of Shadows (at will mage armor). Take Armor of Agathys as a first level spell. Then 18 levels of wizard majoring in Abjuration school. Congrats!! You have a ward that can replenish with the casting of abjuration spells--mage armor and AoA are both abjuration spells. You want to upcast AoA as you gain your wizard levels. Both the ward and AoA protect your concentration and AoA causes damage--and gives you temp hp's--when you are struck. You are not invulnerable but can take a hit or 2 while controlling the battlefield for your allies.

Enjoy!

ZorroGames
2018-05-19, 07:39 PM
I will suggest a couple for your entertainment purposes:

(1) A Mountain Dwarf monk of the Way of the Long Death 14/ Life Cleric 6

On the path down from their mountain home to sell some of the valuable gems they had uncovered, Devont's family was ambushed by bandits/ogres/orcs (your call). Though putting up a staunch defense, and taking 2 of the miscreants down, Devont took a blow to the head and tumbled off the path and down the slope. Hours later, he dragged his bruised and cut body up the slope to find his family massacred and their property stolen/taken/destroyed. Despite the grievous, and mortal wounds, sustained by his parents and siblings, Devont spent the night with bandages, potions and slim medical skill trying to coach the life spark back to his family with no success. Cursing his lack of knowledge, Devont vowed to study death until he could become it's master. His steps took him to the mountain retreat of a small monastery that studies death in all it's manifestations. Years of study and intense martial arts training took him to the very pinnacle of accomplished practitioners. The abbot of the monastery called him in and revealed to him the most important secret possessed by the Monks of the Long Death. "We study death to learn from it," said the abbot, "but we also are priests of Life. Because Life and Death are the opposite sides of the coin of Existence." So began a decade of study of the Gods of Life and mastering the powers of both Life and Death. Devont leaves the monastery for revenge/to gain new knowledge/to preach the duality of existence.

Devont gains temp hp's when he kills a mob, can cause those who fail a saving throw to run in fear from him, can prevent his own death, heal himself, heal others and eventually heal himself when he heals others.

(2) Warlock2/Abjurer Wizard 18 Mountain Dwarf

Devont in his anguish calls upon all that is holy and unholy to assist him in his quest for revenge/enlightenment. The pact is made (choose any of the assorted patrons though I am partial to Celestial for the heals). Two levels of Warlock for the invocations, one of which is Armor of Shadows (at will mage armor). Take Armor of Agathys as a first level spell. Then 18 levels of wizard majoring in Abjuration school. Congrats!! You have a ward that can replenish with the casting of abjuration spells--mage armor and AoA are both abjuration spells. You want to upcast AoA as you gain your wizard levels. Both the ward and AoA protect your concentration and AoA causes damage--and gives you temp hp's--when you are struck. You are not invulnerable but can take a hit or 2 while controlling the battlefield for your allies.

Enjoy!

Thank you, two nice background stories that play to flavor and mechanics. Brilliant!

ZorroGames
2018-05-21, 11:54 AM
Druid and less so Wizard were bothering me as I looked at this project - Mountain Dwarf Multiclass Order of the Stars.

So I started with classes with least incentive to Multi-class. “X” means top Tier2/low Tier 3. Yet to see an AL Tier 4 game.

Non-Moon Druid “X” dip Cleric 1-2.

Wizard “X” dip Fighter 1 (then 2 after Wizard 5.)

Barbarian 2+ Dip Rogue 5+ Progression flexible.

Monk Kensei 5+ dip Ranger 4.

Swords Bard 6 dip Hexblade Warlock 4+.

Sorc 5+ dip Paladin 2.

PHB+1 TBD for some builds.