PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Where to go from here?

jaappleton
2018-05-19, 09:14 AM
So I play Friday nights. I needed a new character for last nights session, and after wracking my brain all week, I had nothing. Over 6 different possible builds in my head, and they all worked quite well, but the CHARACTER never seemed appealing.

I showed up to the table last night empty handed. The DM and I discussed things a little. It’s a small party, two people and three characters. Myself, with one character, and the other player with two. I don’t want to do the two character thing myself, so the DM softens the edges of certain things for us due to party composition.

The other two party members are a Gunslinger and a modified Vengeance Paladin.

I knew I needed to have a connection to the character in order to care about it. Wanted it to be more than stats on paper. So how can I do that? I needed something to bite into, RP wise, and immerse myself in.

So my character bumps into the Paladin on the street and recognizes a symbol etched into her armor. It’s the symbol of her Order.

My DM absolutely adores Eladrin, and so do I. With the new version just appearing in Mord’s Tome, I went for that as my Race.

And lo and behold, that her Paladin was trained in how to be a fighter, but doesn’t know what it means to be a Paladin. To be the beacon of hope for the commoner, to be the eternal flame when darkness envelops the world. She doesn’t know what that means, and how important it is.

So... Spur on the moment, I’m a Paladin, too. Far from the best thing for party composition, but... We’re here now.

She was never trained to completion before her mentor was killed, and she took up his armor. This is something I can care about, this is development for myself and her. I have an apprentice, she learns what it all means. Yes!

After talking with the DM, in the interest of us being different, I am allowed a Finesse Sunblade Greatsword. So I have a 2H sword keying off Dex. The other Paladin is Sword n Board.

So my questions are:

1. What Oath makes sense? The story so far involved hunting down a Vampire Clan, that’s on deck. Being the one to teach her about being the Light, I think Devotion works well. However, seemingly pretty much everything on Devotion's spell list is also on the vanilla Paladin list. This brings me to question 2.

2. The DM is willing to let me exchange bonus spell lists with another Paladin Archetype. What would you recommend? We’re lacking a pure caster, but each of our single target damage is fairly high. Maybe take the Ancients list? Not sure. Redemption gets Counterspell...

3. Any feats or anything you’d recommend? I’m eyeballing GWM in tandem with Elven Accuracy right now.

Unoriginal
2018-05-19, 09:42 AM
Your character is an Eladrin, and nothing you wrote say that she rejected her people's value, so Oath of the Ancient makes the most sense.

She's just doing what her culture think is right through the Paladin lens.

jaappleton
2018-05-21, 11:27 AM
I just realized that the unique sword I have would also work with Defensive Duelist... Possibly worth it?

I am level 10, for what that’s worth.

solidork
2018-05-21, 12:29 PM
The values that you've describe most closely match the Oath of the Ancients. You've actually accidentally quoted one of their main tenets.(Be the light)

I wouldn't go for Elven Accuracy unless you have a reliable way to give yourself advantage.(Ensnaring Strike from the Ancients spell list is one such way) I definitely wouldn't go for Defensive Duelist. I'd personally be tempted by Ritual Caster: Cleric, because Commune is very good at our table, but divinations are one of those things that vary based on the DM.

jaappleton
2018-05-21, 03:49 PM
The values that you've describe most closely match the Oath of the Ancients. You've actually accidentally quoted one of their main tenets.(Be the light)

I wouldn't go for Elven Accuracy unless you have a reliable way to give yourself advantage.(Ensnaring Strike from the Ancients spell list is one such way) I definitely wouldn't go for Defensive Duelist. I'd personally be tempted by Ritual Caster: Cleric, because Commune is very good at our table, but divinations are one of those things that vary based on the DM.

The other Paladin has Shield Master, so I was thinking if she knocks them down, I take them out.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-05-21, 05:44 PM
I’d say make your own. I think you have a strong enough group and understanding of the game to make a tailor to character made oath and spell lists.

But ancients is fine if you don’t want to do all the work there

Edit: honestly I’d rather you multiclass into monk for a Jedi feel.

jaappleton
2018-05-22, 08:04 AM
I’d say make your own. I think you have a strong enough group and understanding of the game to make a tailor to character made oath and spell lists.

This may be the nicest thing someone on this forum has said to me.

FabulousFizban
2018-05-22, 11:44 AM
play an awakened chicken.

ErHo
2018-05-22, 12:24 PM
play an awakened chicken.

Eladrin, not Aasimar!

Mortis_Elrod
2018-05-22, 02:24 PM
This may be the nicest thing someone on this forum has said to me.

nobody said that you knew your sh*t before me? That's crazy.