PDA

View Full Version : Help build this character

CeriPendragon
2018-05-19, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone!

I just started playin in a new campaign after being in the DM’s chair for the last year or so. We have a large group this time so I’m not sure what to play that will keep to the rough backstory I have for my character.

First the party composition so far is:
Fighter
Barbarian
Wizard
Wild Sorc
2x Ranger

We’re all at level 1 having done a session 0 game. PHB+1 rules, point buy for stats, and able to change our characters up until level 5 (basically AL rules with a little wiggle room on things like spell components).

So the short version of the story for my PC is that she was part of a crime gang in Neverwinter, but has since been forced to flee following a division within the gang.

I’ve tentivly built her as a level 1 Half Elf Paladin right now as we had no healing or support, but I really don’t care for Paladins. I don’t mind doing support or healing, but I’d like to stay up close or at least mid-range while doing so.

Does anyone have any tips for melee support?

I looked at a College of Swords bard but the spell list didn’t really impress me. Someone at the table mentioned the conquest paladin might appeal to me. Has anyone played that and care to share the experience? Especially ideas on how to roleplay the oath?

jaappleton
2018-05-19, 03:38 PM
I have two build suggestions:

1. Paladin. I actually recommend Oath of Devotion. Before you possibly scoff at being a goody two shoes, remember: Good is NOT nice. Batman is good and he punches the **** out of people. Devotion gets a solid amount of bonuses and buffs. At lv6, your allies will adore you for the +Cha Mod to saving throws to provide everyone within 10ft of you. Assuming the Fighter and at least one Ranger are melee oriented, plus the Barbarian, that means a lot of Fireballs are likely to be thrown your way because your group is kinda frontline heavy. This means staying alive. Plus, at lv7, your allies within that same range are also immune to Charms. So your deadly bag of hit points ally named Barbarian isn't getting Dominated by any enemy mages. How does Paladin fit with your backstory? Pretty easy, take the Urchin (you left the city with nothing and had to scrape by for awhile) or Criminal background. You sought to atone for your criminal past, and found shelter and purpose with an Order.

2. Cleric. Fortunately, Clerics are very background independent. They have a pretty good spell list and are amazing at buffing people. Domains like Light can turn you into a blaster, while domains like Knowledge allow you to deal with problems blasters typically can't solve (Seriously, Suggestion is an amazing spell, don't underestimate it). And with Medium (or possibly Heavy) armor and a Shield, you can certainly get into melee range. Even if you're not a weapon user, using things like Word of Radiance with Spirit Guardians means 3d8+2d6 Radiant damage at level 5 to all enemies (and ONLY enemies, its ally friendly) around you is pretty darn good. 21 damage to every enemy in close range to you at lv5? Yeah, you'll be just fine.

CTurbo
2018-05-19, 04:17 PM
Tempest Cleric all the way. Plate +Shield is 20 AC so you'll be comfortable in melee. Of course you won't start with Plate but you'd still be able to start with 18 AC with Chain Mail.

Variant Human and start with either Heavy Armor Mastery(if you want to be EXTRA tough) or Resilient(Con - if you want to start with Con saves). Either one you'd start with 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Wis. Alternatively, you COULD start 16 Dex instead and give up heavy armor. You're only losing 1 AC by going Medium armor but your Dex saves and Initiative will be a lot better. You'd probably want to start Res(Con) in this case.

I don't know how familiar with Tempest Clerics you are, but they can literally do everything. They can buff, heal, support, control, debuff, melee, and last but certainly not least, BLAST. Their ability to max any Thunder or Lightning spell damage is just awesome.

Definitely my favorite 5e class.

opaopajr
2018-05-20, 03:01 AM
Variant Human with Healer feat, Criminal or Urchin background, then play whatever Class you want. :smallsmile:

-alternate-

Cleric class, Criminal or Urchin background, then play whatever Race you want. :smallsmile:

But what is it that you really want to play? :smallcool: Follow that first.

CeriPendragon
2018-05-20, 07:53 AM
Variant Human with Healer feat, Criminal or Urchin background, then play whatever Class you want. :smallsmile:

-alternate-

Cleric class, Criminal or Urchin background, then play whatever Race you want. :smallsmile:

But what is it that you really want to play? :smallcool: Follow that first.

I’m not really sure what I want to play which is part of problem.

I like being up close for melee, but I also like having spells. Bard seems like it would be perfect, I just don’t care for a lot of the spell list. I’d rather have more buffs and fewer illusions/charms.

Paladin would also be fun I think, I just have a hard time with making the oaths work.

KRSW
2018-05-20, 08:38 AM
I think the "best" class to play in that specific group is probably a full caster that has buffs/debuffs/control and also healing.

So, if I were you and I wanted to have the most mechanical synergy with the other players I would play either a Lord Bard or a Light Cleric. Lore Bard has no great option for being up close to the enemy, but some of their good spells are also short range like Dissonant Whispers. If you do choose cleric I only recommended Light because it can prevent a lot of incoming damage with warding flare and it also has Faerie Fire, but so does Bard.

However, it depends if you want to entirely support or support but still want that one moment every few encounters to really shine. Light Cleric is pretty much entirely support, Tempest will allow you to shine a bit more often.

If you go with Lore Bard I would use your first magical secrets on Aura of Vitality(3rd Level) and something else of your choice.

If you do go Paladin, I would play Oath of Conquest however I myself have never played it but I want to, a lot. Depending on how your Barbarian and Fighter build, if one or both take Great Weapon Master, the Shield Master feat would be great, because if they are frightened of you(that's the subclass's whole thing) and are knocked prone from the bonus action thing, they cannot standup once you get Aura of Conquest at level 7. Conquest Paladin is a great support character if you build it like one, but your DM may start throwing monsters with immunity to the frightened condition and then it's a bit less fun, but you are still a paladin with smites and give your teammates immune to fear and +cha all saves.

That being said, even though your party is 7 players, the Inspiring Leader feat has no restriction on how many times you can use it per day. So, even if a bit cheesy, you COULD inspire the other 6 members of your party and then also yourself in 20 minutes. If your DM doesn't like that(I wouldn't) just don't give it to the barbarian because he probably needs it the least.

Role play wise, if you go cleric you can use that as a way to atone for being a criminal, conquest paladin can be used as a way to embrace her past as a criminal and bard can be used as kind of an in-between. Vague ideas but I hope my post helped.

CeriPendragon
2018-05-20, 09:20 AM
I think the "best" class to play in that specific group is probably a full caster that has buffs/debuffs/control and also healing.

So, if I were you and I wanted to have the most mechanical synergy with the other players I would play either a Lord Bard or a Light Cleric. Lore Bard has no great option for being up close to the enemy, but some of their good spells are also short range like Dissonant Whispers. If you do choose cleric I only recommended Light because it can prevent a lot of incoming damage with warding flare and it also has Faerie Fire, but so does Bard.

However, it depends if you want to entirely support or support but still want that one moment every few encounters to really shine. Light Cleric is pretty much entirely support, Tempest will allow you to shine a bit more often.

If you go with Lore Bard I would use your first magical secrets on Aura of Vitality(3rd Level) and something else of your choice.

If you do go Paladin, I would play Oath of Conquest however I myself have never played it but I want to, a lot. Depending on how your Barbarian and Fighter build, if one or both take Great Weapon Master, the Shield Master feat would be great, because if they are frightened of you(that's the subclass's whole thing) and are knocked prone from the bonus action thing, they cannot standup once you get Aura of Conquest at level 7. Conquest Paladin is a great support character if you build it like one, but your DM may start throwing monsters with immunity to the frightened condition and then it's a bit less fun, but you are still a paladin with smites and give your teammates immune to fear and +cha all saves.

That being said, even though your party is 7 players, the Inspiring Leader feat has no restriction on how many times you can use it per day. So, even if a bit cheesy, you COULD inspire the other 6 members of your party and then also yourself in 20 minutes. If your DM doesn't like that(I wouldn't) just don't give it to the barbarian because he probably needs it the least.

Role play wise, if you go cleric you can use that as a way to atone for being a criminal, conquest paladin can be used as a way to embrace her past as a criminal and bard can be used as kind of an in-between. Vague ideas but I hope my post helped.

Everything helps right now! Even vague ideas can help me narrow down these possibilities and settle on something.

Specter
2018-05-20, 01:18 PM
What your group will need is healing, so make sure you include that no mattet what.

Speely
2018-05-20, 01:34 PM
Given your party:

Mechanically, I would roll a Life Cleric. A great support role that can be versatile with some choices.

For fun (and interesting moments) I would roll a Mastermind Rogue. Less optimal than the obvious benefits of the cleric, but the party gains a skill monkey with support features, and it's more in line with your backstory.

opaopajr
2018-05-21, 02:29 AM
Well, Clerics can melee and fling spells right out of the gate, often buffing spells. And Life Clerics are really good at being in melee, flinging spells, holding up buffs, and huge "undo" mass healing.

Paladins most often are focused on Smite with their spell slots, and their Lay on Hands healing is best to bounce-back unconscious PCs taking death saves.

A Life Cleric with Criminal or Urchin could be very strong. The next question is what Race? You can still do Variant Human and grab an early feat.

I still think randomized inspiration or other methods to follow a vision os more fun than worrying about party gaps. A lot of party gaps becomes part of the fun on how to work together and laterally solve problems! :smallsmile:

halarin
2018-05-21, 02:37 AM
In keeping with your backstory, I would recommend trickery domain cleric. It will not be the most powerful melee wise, but a cleric is a cleric you know. You still have the full cleric spell list for your buffing and healing needs and you some extra stuff useful for out of combat situations and to keep yourself safe. The only downside to trickery cleric is the fact the extra damage you get from divine strike is poison damage so you have to worry about resists.

McSkrag
2018-05-21, 02:53 AM
What your group will need is healing, so make sure you include that no mattet what.

I think Specter is spot on with this point.

Your party is short on healing and restorations. A melee cleric like Tempest or War would turn your party into a juggernaut. Or you could go with any of the Paladins.

All of those would be very strong characters and really fun to play with lots of different abilities and spells.

CeriPendragon
2018-05-21, 04:47 AM
Thank you all for your ideas!

I think I’m going to give my original bard idea a chance and try to make the most of their spell list and magical secrets.

I’ll be making a cleric as back up though based on everyone’s replies. Just in case

Spore
2018-05-21, 06:55 AM
I'd say Bard or Druid. Both are great at healing. You don't have to force a cleric if you have other options and dislike the cleric.