PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Designing Odin [as a character]

Legimus
2018-05-19, 03:31 PM
So I enjoy making characters just for fun, without any specific campaigns in mind, and I thought it would be fun to build Odin. I'm on a bit of a kick designing gods disguised as mortals. I'm not sure if I'd play him or use him as a DM somewhere down the road for now, though. My idea is him essentially being trapped in mortal form, robbed of his full power by a giant's curse (and traveling under an alias, of course). I originally thought that he'd fit for a wizard, but I've actually settled that a Lore bard would be more fitting. He's a god of poetry, knowledge, battle, magic, and wisdom, and I think that diversity makes the role of a bard suit him much better. Here's what I've got for now:

Bard 1 / Warlock 1 (Raven Queen UA) / Bard X (Lore)
Variant Human
Feat: Magic Initiate – Wizard (find familiar)

He'd have a wide spread of skills, befitting his vast knowledge and wisdom. Then I'd play him as a support/control character, to emphasize his shrewd, controlling nature and magical prowess. To top it off, he'd have the Sentinel Raven from his warlock level and a raven familiar to serve as his two ravens from folklore, Hugin and Munin.

There are a lot of ways to take Odin, of course, since he's traditionally a bit of everything. He's a powerful chief, a keeper of secrets, a mighty warrior, and a master of magic. But I think that this would be the most true to his nature from Norse and German mythology. I'd appreciate any feedback or additional thoughts! This is a first draft and I'd love to flesh it out even more (like what sort of spells he'd favor).

Zonugal
2018-05-19, 04:36 PM
That all looks good!

I don't know how but I feel like a single level in Knowledge Cleric would be useful?

Legimus
2018-05-19, 05:07 PM
Hmm, that could be fun. It'd really emphasize his all-knowing nature, and one level gets him identify and command, which also suit him well. I'll tinker around with that.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-19, 06:06 PM
That's a pretty brilliant build, honestly. Thematic, highly effective, and in full swing after only two levels. I don't think Knowledge Cleric adds much; as a Lore Bard you'll already be swimming in skills, and it's probably not worth diluting the build anymore. Another Warlock level might not hurt, though; Eyes of the Rune Keeper and Mask of Many Faces both seem extremely fitting.

Legimus
2018-05-20, 01:24 AM
Another Warlock level might not hurt, though; Eyes of the Rune Keeper and Mask of Many Faces both seem extremely fitting.

Oh, that sounds like enormous fun, actually. You're right, those would be extremely fitting for Odin. I've never been that interested in being the party's skill monkey, but this build is getting me excited about the prospect.