PDA

View Full Version : Aasimar? Why I don't see them more often?

Aleister VII
2018-05-19, 06:55 PM
As the title says.

I get an idea for an awesome Aasimar warlock that gravitates between good and neutrality with a slight tendency to chaos in the freedom sense.

But that's just me, what do you think of this race and their subraces? The one I'm gonna use is the protector just because it gives new temporary wings and fly at level 3, I know I don't last long but the awesomeness factor of summoning a set of wings is too much to say no, the light cantrip and stuffs are okay I dunno... it also gives me a +2 to my main stat and +1 wisdom is always good for perception.

BTW, I only has the PHB, is protector from the DMG? Or from Xgte or scag?

the secret fire
2018-05-19, 06:56 PM
Because they are lame, dude.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-19, 06:57 PM
As the title says.

I get an idea for an awesome Aasimar warlock that gravitates between good and neutrality with a slight tendency to chaos in the freedom sense.

But that's just me, what do you think of this race and their subraces? The one I'm gonna use is the protector just because it gives new temporary wings and fly at level 3, I know I don't last long but the awesomeness factor of summoning a set of wings is too much to say no, the light cantrip and stuffs are okay I dunno... it also gives me a +2 to my main stat and +1 wisdom is always good for perception.

BTW, I only has the PHB, is protector from the DMG? Or from Xgte or scag?

I think they are dope and that extra radiant damage per turn looks broken.

Protector Aasimar are from Volo's I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Volo's Page 105

Angelalex242
2018-05-19, 07:19 PM
I liked them in 3.5.

In this edition, though, the extra feat of humanity just seems...more useful.

I mean, starting with Charisma 17 means I'm stuck taking the acting feat unless I've got another odd numbered stat somewhere.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-19, 07:20 PM
The fluff on them is pretty strong. So unless you're going to pull it back or ignore it, you're a bit pigeonholed as to the character types you can use with it.

I'm trying out a new (to me) class in a current pbp and originally wanted to use aasimar, but when I started thinking about the implications - the angelic guardian, the "must destroy evil" fluff of one subtype or the ultra edginess of another - I chose half-elf instead. I think you could make some awesome characters out of them, don't get me wrong, but you have to want to play a certain type of character, whereas half-elf, elf, human, halfling, seem to be more fluid in what kind of person they can be.

MaxWilson
2018-05-19, 07:20 PM
As the title says.

Because variant human. (And the fact that Aasimar abilities have a mediocre action economy probably doesn't help.)

Armored Walrus
2018-05-19, 07:22 PM
I mean, starting with Charisma 17 means I'm stuck taking the acting feat unless I've got another odd numbered stat somewhere.

You could just start with Charisma 16 and use a full ASI on it, too. If going standard array, you can put your 14 in Cha, put your 15 in Con, for example, and start with 16 in both stats if you go Scourge, for example.

Aleister VII
2018-05-19, 07:24 PM
From Volo's, huh? I should look for a pdf of that next time I got to use a computer x.x

Also... is that extra damage broken? I completely overlooked it as the wings catches all of my attention but I guess that if a shoot an eldritch blast at level 20 that radiant damage would be an extra 10 to each of the beams... I'm not an expert in balance but that sounds powerful x.x

EDIT: @Armoredwalruss: I'm choosing it for the fluff and flavor over their possible optimization, so far the idea is that his/her angelic guide is more "protect the innocent" than "destroy the evil" with a little "be nice to everyone, don't kill without a reason..." and so on, the juicy thing is that I'm planning to make it a Hexblade warlock and his/her Hexblade patron often talks to him/her and entices to be pragmatic and do some evil things like: "if it feels good, do it" and "you can easily get away with that." So that leaves PC in neutrality most of times.
And being a Hexblade makes me CHA my main stat leaving DEX for the AC and CON for the HP and WIS just because I love to have a high perception so INT and STR don't get any love.

Half elf is awesome and works for most builds but I wanted something angelic for this PC, the other option is making a Tiefling divine sorcerer that as far as I know is kinda okay but since I also wanted to be able of going melee I choose Aasimar Hexblade.

ZorroGames
2018-05-19, 07:25 PM
Because they are lame, dude.

Gee that detailed answer was helpful.

Too lazy to use blue type.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-19, 07:30 PM
From Volo's, huh? I should look for a pdf of that next time I got to use a computer x.x

Also... is that extra damage broken? I completely overlooked it as the wings catches all of my attention but I guess that if a shoot an eldritch blast at level 20 that radiant damage would be an extra 10 to each of the beams... I'm not an expert in balance but that sounds powerful x.x

I've seen a few Scourge Aasimar in play. That aura doesn't get used a ton. Action to enable, the damage is fairly low, it's once a day, it also damages the user (although half damage because Aasimar are resistant to radiant) you're rarely surrounded by only enemies and friends don't like you burning them. I don't think it's broken at all. If it were, no one would be playing half-elf or vhuman hexblades. ;)

Maelynn
2018-05-19, 07:31 PM
As a player, they feel a bit too Mary-Sue to me. And the fallen version is an emo Mary-Sue.

As a DM, I'm too much of a rookie to comfortably play the role of the guiding Deva alongside my other responsibilities.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-19, 07:37 PM
As a DM, I'm too much of a rookie to comfortably play the role of the guiding Deva alongside my other responsibilities.

Hmm, on the other hand, that's a hell of a plot hook delivery system.

Maelynn
2018-05-19, 07:45 PM

True that, but from what I read so far it can be quite daunting to not turn it into railroading. A Deva guiding the player towards a certain goal can feel pushy, leave the player with the dilemma of doing what the DM/Deva told them or going their own way.

I'm sure more experienced DM's can put this to great use, but I'm not among them yet. Hence my statement about my own abilities specifically. :)

Aleister VII
2018-05-19, 07:46 PM

In fact I'm gonna abuse of that to hook PC to any campaign I may come across.

Guiding deva says: "You should travel with these adventurers" and so PC travelled with them and embarks on an epic adventure xD

Edit: remember that the player can also choose or role a d6 to determine the guide nature, I'm taking "Kind and parental" so it's advises aren't too pushy,the "Compassionate and hopeful" nature may also work or so o think.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-19, 07:55 PM
True that, but from what I read so far it can be quite daunting to not turn it into railroading. A Deva guiding the player towards a certain goal can feel pushy, leave the player with the dilemma of doing what the DM/Deva told them or going their own way.

I'm sure more experienced DM's can put this to great use, but I'm not among them yet. Hence my statement about my own abilities specifically. :)

Makes sense. Don't use that as a reason to steer a player away from it if you ever get one that wants to play it, though. You only get good by practicing. ;)

Naanomi
2018-05-19, 07:58 PM
Mechanically Fallen Aasimar make superb conquest Paladins, and celestial-pact Warlocks can do cute tricks with Eldritch blasts and the racial bonus

Angelalex242
2018-05-19, 08:07 PM
You could just start with Charisma 16 and use a full ASI on it, too. If going standard array, you can put your 14 in Cha, put your 15 in Con, for example, and start with 16 in both stats if you go Scourge, for example.

Except I was always Aasimar Paladin, so I need 16 STR. Somehow. Though I suppose 15 Str/17 Cha makes good use of a +1/+1

Laserlight
2018-05-19, 08:50 PM
I've been thinking of using an assist as the starting point for the 5e version of an Exalted character.

Unoriginal
2018-05-20, 05:12 AM
Also... is that extra damage broken?

In 5e, the answer to "is X broken" is either "no" or "it would if it worked like that, but it doesn't work", as far as offivial published material goes (aside from some Wish shenanigans, arguably).

Lombra
2018-05-20, 05:28 AM
I really like them, I plan on playing a zealot scourge aasimar at some point.

Contrast
2018-05-20, 05:31 AM
From Volo's, huh?

Honestly I'd guess this is a large portion of the reason why you don't see a lot of them. Of the people I know who play D&D I don't think anyone else owns a copy of Volos.

As a player, they feel a bit too Mary-Sue to me. And the fallen version is an emo Mary-Sue.

And that's why I've never played one either. :smalltongue:

DracoKnight
2018-05-20, 05:33 AM
Except I was always Aasimar Paladin, so I need 16 STR. Somehow. Though I suppose 15 Str/17 Cha makes good use of a +1/+1

Fallen Aasimar gives +1 STR. So you could have 16 STR and CHA.

Millstone85
2018-05-20, 07:02 AM
For those who would hesitate to play a paladin, the aasimar might feel too much like that class was made into a playable race.

Notably, the aasimar has falling mechanics.
With your DM's consent, you can change your character's subrace to fallen aasimar if your protector/scourge aasimar turns to evil. To do so, replace your subrace benefits, including the ability score increase, with those of a fallen aasimar.
Similarly, if your fallen aasimar turns to good, your DM might allow you to become a protector or scourge aasimar.

The sidebar assumes it will be the player's idea to have their aasimar fall. This is in contrast with paladin falling mechanics, where...
At the DM's discretion, an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another, or perhaps to take the Oathbreaker paladin option that appears in the Dungeon Master's Guide. but I doubt most tables will care for that subtlety.

If you do in fact make an aasimar paladin, it is not so bothersome. You are likely to break you oath long before you turn to evil, unless you go full oathbreaker.

That being said, I think the aasimar's true calling is to be a warlock of the Celestial, as their angelic guide can double as their patron.

Knaight
2018-05-20, 08:25 AM
I suspect a lot of it is just a matter of them not being particularly central to the implicit setting of D&D, while also not having a fanbase built up from any specific setting. Tieflings were given more weight in 4e, Thrikeen and similar have the backing of certain settings (Dark Sun for Thrikeen), and of course the PHB races that have been there from the beginning have a comparatively deep rooting in the underlying literature, even if it has only been decades.

An easy way of doing this with a guiding NPC of some sort (albeit one that would get stale if you had to do it a lot) is just to have them be really dumb. They might have some useful information, they might be able to articulate goals worth pursuing, but any actual plan they put forward is deeply suspect.

MrWesson22
2018-05-20, 09:46 AM
I plan to play a protector aasimar devotion paladin/divine soul sorcerer as my next character when I am done DMing. He won't be the edgy emo crap one of my players always makes, but he won't be the lawful stupid paladin trope either.

OutOfThyme
2018-05-20, 10:24 AM
I'm playing an Oath of Vengeance Scourge Aasimar in a campaign (who isn't an edgelord - at least I think so), and I've never used the radiant damage aura ability. I might use it for the first time next session, but having to burn an action on it is ridiculous when I already have so many other options to do as a Paladin.

Plus, this DM likes to chuck one or two powerful creatures at us per combat, so it's less useful against a single enemy.

Sariel Vailo
2018-05-20, 10:29 AM
Ive been dying to play a fallen aasimar paladin path of the crown. No dm has let me say **** the gods go mortals go.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-20, 10:48 AM
The fallen aasimar is an obvious use for paladins, but any of them work if you plan to play a more defesne, S&B paladin. You'll have a 16 str and 18 cha at level 4, which is quite strong, especially if you plan on MCing into a bard/sorc/warlock after level 6. On the flip side, great weapon paladins need every str point they can get along with GWM to be optimal.

I played a cleric/sorcerer Scourge Aasimar. It worked quite well. I would stand in the middle of the enemies with spirit guardians and my aura burning. The aura isn't a lot of damage, but combined with the consistent AoE of Spirit Guardians, it is just more goodness. The fact that it takes an action to activate doesn't hurt so much on a cleric as they can pop it the same turn they cast Spiritual Weapon, meaning the aura activation is just replacing a cantrip. Between starting sorcerer for con saves and a high con, holding onto Spirit Guardians was rarely an issue, despite hitting myself every round. With a good AC and shield spell, I was a walking totem of death for the enemies.

Specter
2018-05-20, 11:04 AM
I liked the DMG version of them; simple, maybe underpowered, but elegant. Volo's Aasimars just feels like Paladin Demo Version.

Aleister VII
2018-05-20, 02:44 PM
That being said, I think the aasimar's true calling is to be a warlock of the Celestial, as their angelic guide can double as their patron.

That actually sound very nice but I guess that you would change deva for Planetar or other high ranked celestial but in any case I prefer Warlock over Paladin.

Grim Portent
2018-05-20, 03:23 PM
Personally any time I come up with a concept for an Aasimar I always wind up thinking 'but I could be a Tiefling instead,' they both do basically the same stuff, can represent the same basic concept as a Fallen Aasimar and Tieflings have so many options for tweaking them to fit the role.

Even if I wanted to do something like an angelic knight I'd pick Tiefling over Aasimar because Tieflings can have wings and Aasimar can't, at least not for long anyway, and what king of angel doesn't have wings?

Millstone85
2018-05-20, 03:56 PM
I guess that you would change deva for Planetar or other high ranked celestialI wouldn't.

The celestials mentioned in XGtE as potential patrons are:
* empyrean (CR 23)
* solar (CR 21)
* ki-rin (CR 12)
* unicorn (CR 5)

It is quite the broad range, and the deva (CR 10) is within it.

Also, a solar or planetar would probably communicate with you through a deva anyway. Devas are messengers, and known to sometimes live for years under a mortal guise. I imagine they are the only angels who would bother to tutor, or bargain with, a humanoid.

Angelalex242
2018-05-20, 05:07 PM
I like Solars as patrons.

"Yeah, I've got this super ultra badass who wings down from heaven once in a while and tells me to go SAVE THE WORLD."

"Well, yes, he could save the world himself, but then I wouldn't learn anything."

Xihirli
2018-05-20, 05:20 PM
Both of my IRL groups have an Aasimar - one wizard and one Celestial Warlock.

ProseBeforeHos
2018-05-20, 09:04 PM
Aasimar are a fine race from both a mechanical and roleplay point of view.

Post XGTE there are lots of good options for them. Protector works well with celestial warlocks (adding extra radiant damage to their Radiant Soul), Scourge make great front line hexblades (+1 con/+2 cha and the AOE damage aura are fantastic for a melee warlock, remember, you have resistance to your own radiant damage), and Fallen is edgy as hell, but woks fantastically well with Conquest Paladin's aura.

McSkrag
2018-05-21, 02:08 AM
From a powergaming perspective there are more optimized races so those kinds of players don't choose them.

The Aasimar fluff from Volo's makes them out to be all "touched by an angel" and goodie goodie. Kinda boring if you play them straight up.

But that actually opens up interesting backstory and RP possibilities if you give them a twist with a personal conflict, tragedy, or curse to play them against type.

An Aasimar Fiendlock sounds pretty fun to me.