PDA

View Full Version : Food: What drives you at roleplaying?

PMDM
2007-09-05, 06:14 PM
My group of players like to think that we are a cut above the regualr D&D group. We make silly fart jokes, and banter all the time. However, each of us knows how to cook. I don't think my game would still be running today if we didn't eat dinner at the same time we played. We don't order pizza, or takeout. Instead, one of us always cooks. It usually works out great, so long as the food is easy to like. Anything exotic usually leads to a bad session. I'm curious as to how everyone else handles food at the table?

ocato
2007-09-05, 06:25 PM
Usually pizza, but I haven't played regularly since high school. :smallfrown: I'm learning to cook, and the idea of having to get up from the session to stir stuff seems like a mild inconvenience if any. In fact, I like this idea. Maybe if I find a new group, I'll try it.

Hefty Lefty
2007-09-05, 06:28 PM
My DMs mom usually makes a really good nacho 7-layer dip, whether or not we ask for it:smallbiggrin: . When it comes time for dinner, we all just pitch in for a pizza. Whatever we eat though, we always pour way too much Dave's Insanity Sauce on it (which is like 2 drops) (our DMs Dad is a hot sauce enthusiast).

BCOVertigo
2007-09-05, 06:58 PM
I bake on occasion, in addition to ordering out or making a 'Walmart run'. Cookies and brownies are a favorite but one time I made a batch of ghirardelli chocolate brownies and added peanut butter and powdered sugar in some sublimely perfect ratio. This mixture essentially put the DM out of commission and he was literally staring at the ceiling in a sugar high, stupefied it seemed. This was a bit annoying as he turned retarded mid-battle and we were trying in vain to get him to focus. He later crashed and after some coaxing we began playing again.

I'm sure several of you are thinking that I drugged the DM (funny though it would have been) but I will rest secure in the knowledge that I can make masterwork brownies without resorting to such a crutch.

horseboy
2007-09-05, 07:04 PM
Hmm, back when I had a group that we'd eat together, (Everybody moved away) we'd generally bring stuff over. One person would bring sodas, another like pasta, a third ground beef. Rae would make sauce and somebody would bring garlic bread. Then, while eating, we'd decide what we wanted to eat next week, that way we'd all know what to bring.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-05, 07:04 PM
I'm sure several of you are thinking that I drugged the DM (funny though it would have been) but I will rest secure in the knowledge that I can make masterwork brownies without resorting to such a crutch.

This is called "rolling a natural 20."

Ashtar
2007-09-05, 07:12 PM
Well when we played at my old flat (which was the most central), everyone would arrive before the game and we would have lunch together. Usually it was tuna sandwiches with tomato, cucumber and iceberg salad. Then during the game, we would have fruit usually or sometimes some crackers.

I love making desserts so I would make something for tea time: buns, scones, lemon curd, uncooked chocolate cakes (family recipe), chocolate mousse, "gāteau au chocolat et petit beurres" (chocolate cake with biscuits inside, also a family special).

And if it was a special occasion, for one of our all nights, we would prepare things like stews, Sheppard's pie, home made lasagne. Things that can be put in the oven and forgotten about while you play. And the dessert for that would be either vanilla ice cream with melted chocolate on top or apple crumble or even minced pies with brandy butter.

But since I moved, my flat is too far away to be the meeting point (300km, ~3h train) and where we meet is currently a "No Cooking" area, so we starve there. :smallfrown:

Beleriphon
2007-09-05, 08:09 PM
We're fans of ordering in. Usually pizza although we've done everything at one point or another.

We've also done a potluck cook all. Each person brings two items and we all make something out of what was brought to the session. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. Either way its always fun.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-05, 08:12 PM
Hrm. Well, for me, I go to play in a shop in a shopping center, so theres all sorts of foods. Foodlion is near the shop, so I usually get chicken, but theres also places like Subway, a chinese place, and an italian place, so people usually have good food to eat.

Indon
2007-09-05, 08:17 PM
We get pizza, or eat out, usually. Sometimes we just eat stuff.

Hawriel
2007-09-05, 08:29 PM
Beer. its all about the beer. I play a dwarf, so it helps.

I usualy stop at the store and pick somthing up. family size stofers, pizza, chips, ice cream. If one of my friends are actualy cooking somthing I get what ever he may need at the store. oh and beer.

Machete
2007-09-05, 09:48 PM
Bread, chicken stew, carrots, and watered down Mad Dog.

Yeah, I'm a PbPer alright.

starwoof
2007-09-05, 09:52 PM
It really depends on where we have our session.

If its at my house, its a known fact that there is no food. We have to order it if we have anything at all. If we weren't all jobless teenagers we'd probably have more food. :smallyuk:

At our secondary DMs house theres always like 50 cokes and tons of pizza and chips. Thats the preferred place of DnD. ^_^

Jannex
2007-09-05, 11:32 PM
I like to bake for gaming sessions. It was often joked among my old group that I had the (Ex) ability: Brownies, 2/day. I could just whip up a batch of chocolate-chip brownies (from scratch) either shortly before or during a game session. I've been known to cook for my gaming groups, as well--spaghetti sauce is my "big group" meal of choice, especially since I can leave it to do its thing for extended periods, only having to stir it periodically.

That said, pizza's always a good plan. My local gaming store (before it moved) used to be right across the street from an amazing pizzeria...

Kurald Galain
2007-09-06, 02:18 AM
Either pizza or stirfry. We have a lovely stirfry-while-you-wait restaurant around here.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-06, 03:44 AM
Coffee & Popcorn.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-06, 05:12 AM
It's great if someone volunteers to supply food, but the fallback is to keep some rising crust dough pizzas in the freezer. 25 minutes from the time you pop them in the oven, without preheating. That's faster (and where I live, better quality) than delivery pizza.

Lots of Dr Pepper.

earlblue
2007-09-06, 05:24 AM
While two of us in the group cook, we don't do any during the game. We just buy in any snacks and drinks we fancy and go for a meal after the game.

OBeQuiet UWannaBe

Chineselegolas
2007-09-06, 05:24 AM
Clinkers.

They are this sweet. We tend to go through about 2 packs a night. Only takes half an hour out of the 4 hours we are playing to finish them though...

Prustan
2007-09-06, 06:28 AM
On the rare occasions I've managed to get a group over and play, we ate the staples - chips (crisps for Americans), biscuits and lemonade (or something similar). Probably would get more interesting food if I had the opportunity to play more often, or if I wasn't worried about the food stains on the character sheets...

cheesecake
2007-09-06, 06:36 AM
there is usually a Keg in the fridge, complete with some classy Steins to drink out of. Lots of Pizza and junk food. My D&D group is all extra large 300+ lbs so we tend to pack it in with a large pizza each.

daggaz
2007-09-06, 09:03 AM
Everyone drinks coffee, and I have a sixpack. (Im a dwarf). Thats all the food we ever need. Yes, beer is food!

Roderick_BR
2007-09-06, 02:37 PM
Cookies and Coke. Classic.
When we used to play all afternoon and into the night, we would stop playing, getting some snacks (sandwiches, usually), do something else (play videogames, watch movies, go outside), then back to game, and stopping again at night to make some quick dinner, usually something with pasta.

Arbitrarity
2007-09-06, 02:45 PM
Whatever we eat though, we always pour way too much Dave's Insanity Sauce on it (which is like 2 drops) (our DMs Dad is a hot sauce enthusiast).

Awesome, we have some of that stuff too. Mind you, we all fear it, and the bottle is pretty ancient. 80% of the missing sauce was used up when someone though it "wasn't that hot", and put it on a hot dog. Like ketchup.

:smalleek:

Eating? We don't eat. We play :smallbiggrin: . Cookies, sometimes, chips, but that's about it.

The J Pizzel
2007-09-06, 02:49 PM
Usually were all sitting around the living room waiting for X (the last person) to show up so we can get on with it. Then someone says "damn, I'm kinda hungry". "Me too" comes a reply. "Man, so am I" comes the third. Then I (the DM) says, "fine, someone go get some food while we wait on X to get here". Then the food-runner says "where yall want me to go". And then like an angelic chorus the answer comes, all in unison, "McDonalds .99 cent double cheeseburgers". "I'll have two". "Nah, I'll just take one." "HA, screw that you wussies, I'll take three and a large coke (and a clogged artery on the side)". At which point I put in my humble request for a large sweet tea. And just as the food-runner drives out the of parking lot, player X shows up. And whats the first damn thing he says..."man, I'm hungry. Since "food-runner" just left can I go get some food real quick".

Yes, that Players character always seems to drop in the negatives that session. It's puretly coincidental, I swear.

Ravyn
2007-09-06, 03:47 PM
My group during the school year lives off of one part pizza (lunch, provided by our resident graduate) and one part cafeteria food (dinner and sometimes lunch, I pay for those who don't have meal plans because I eat like a bird.) For the group I play with during breaks, generally food is provided (my DMs have such nice parents!) and if not we hit one of the local taco spots or order pizza, though I've been known to provide little things--gravlax when I could make it, my variant of gorp (or rather goce--good old cranberries and edamame), whatever else I could come up with--when I have the prep time and brains.

Saucy_Ninja
2007-09-06, 04:09 PM
Two words: gourmet ramen.

RTGoodman
2007-09-06, 10:22 PM
I think the most popular place by far for mid-gaming meals is a place called Wings Over Greenville.

I think every time we order, we end up buying like 6 pounds of boneless wings (a.k.a. chicken tenders with barbecue or hot sauce), a ton of french fries, and the like. And by the end of the evening, it's usually all gone. Mind you, there are usually only like 4 or 5 of us...