PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Found two cool feats from third party books that work well for gish builds .

Dragon_Bane
2018-05-19, 07:53 PM
The books Legends & Lairs - Path of Magic and The Complete Book Of Eldritch Might have two interesting feats for a gish bilde if the dm is welling to use 3.0 and 3.5 with third party books the first feat is from The Complete Book Of Eldritch Might and the other is from The books Legends & Lairs - Path of Magic.

Battle Touch [General]
Your touch attack spells last longer, giving them more use
in combat.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15
Benefit:When you cast a touch spell (not ranged touch),
it remains in effect for a full round after you discharge it,
allowing you to try to touch more than one target in a
round if you have multiple attacks. If you cast a touch attack
spell and have multiple attacks due to high level, you can
attempt all your touch attacks as though using a full attack
action.

Arcane strike [special]
you deliver a touch spell via a melee attack with any weapon
Prerequisites: Spellcaster 1+
Benefit: You may imbue any normal or magic weapon with one spell you have prepared. The spell remains active for up to one round per level, after which time it dissipates harmlessly. If you hit a target with a successful melee attack with the weapon while it is charged, the spell is discharged in addition to normal damage. Only masterwork weapons weapons may be so imbue, and a magical weapon can hold up to one spell per point of enchantment bonus. All spells stored in a single weapon are discharged upon the first successful melee strike. Only the character that cast the spell can cause the weapon to discharge in combat: the weapon functions normally for all other characters.

from my understanding arcane strike feat makes any spell imbued to count as a touch attack spell so they work to great effect that or use battle touch to not need 13lv of duskblade to have a full round attack of a touch spell at the least.

theblasblas
2018-05-20, 03:01 AM
Hmm, I don't think it works like that. Arcane strike specifies that you deliver a "touch spell", and the wording used in the Benefits portion is "a spell" not "any spell"

Edit:

To clarify the issue is that it say "You deliver a touch spell VIA a melee attack" meaning you're delivering a touch spell using a melee attack, rather than delivering any spell as a touch spell. It even means that the "touch spell" ceases to become a touch spell and is required to hit Armor AC

Bavarian itP
2018-05-20, 03:16 AM
A gish "bilde"? Seriously?

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-20, 08:30 AM
Yay for badly-written third-party feats! Storing one spell per point of enhancement bonus is a bit much, even if it lasts for 1 round/level, but that's the small problem. On a successful melee attack, the "spell is discharged", but the effect isn't limited to the creature hit, meaning that if you store five flame strikes into your +5 poison ring, you can blow yourself up very efficiently. Or, you know, store shapechange/bite of the werebear/divine power/favour of the martyr/empyreal ecstacy and buff your target*? Or buff yourself?

But yeah, the feats work together, though not all spells become touch spells just because they're channeled.

*Pre-emptively saying that we're dealing with a Spellguard of Silverymoon, who can cast personal spells as touch spells. But I can't be bothered to look if all the spells work by RAW. N.B. The "touch spell only" restriction should really be under the Benefit section, not in the flavour text.

theblasblas
2018-05-20, 09:21 AM
On a successful melee attack, the "spell is discharged", but the effect isn't limited to the creature hit, meaning that if you store five flame strikes into your +5 poison ring, you can blow yourself up very efficiently.[/SIZE]

Flame strike won't work since the Arcane Strike feat specifies that it "delivers a touch spell via a melee attack", it doesn't turn normal spells into touch spells, just lets you discharge it through a melee attack.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-20, 11:18 AM
Flame strike won't work since the Arcane Strike feat specifies that it "delivers a touch spell via a melee attack", it doesn't turn normal spells into touch spells, just lets you discharge it through a melee attack.
I know, I know, see the footnote, I just couldn't be bothered to find a good example (having a lazy day). There's other multi-target touch spells (plane shift for one), and at least one touch aoe (erupt).