PDA

View Full Version : Level 17 Bard Spell List

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-19, 09:58 PM
Just spitballing the future here. Naturally it involves a chart. What spells or type of damage especially at higher levels am I forgetting about or would you grab?

Lets see how this pastes.

20 Spell Slots Not counting L3 Magical Secrets

Magical Secrets 1 (3rd lvl)

Magical Secrets 2 (5th lvl)

Magical Secrets 3 (7th lvl)

Magic Initiate

Cantrips
True Strike
Vicious Mockery

Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

L1
Dissonant Whispers
Healing Word
Thunderwave

Hellish Rebuke

L2
Heat Metal
Phantasmal Force
Shatter
Silence

L3
Fear
Dispel Magic
Sending

Counterspell
Fly

L4
Polymorph
Dimension Door

L5
Geas
Animate Object

Seeming
Reincarnate

L6
Mass Suggestion

L7
Teleport

Simulcrum

L8
Feeblemind

L9

kebusmaximus
2018-05-19, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure the table is entirely as you want it, but I get the gist.

Right off the bat, why did you want magic initiate? Eldritch blast isn't the best cantrip without agonizing blast, and I'm not sure hellish rebuke is worth the feat, especially since it won't scale.

Also, I must advise against taking true strike. Two attacks are better than one with advantage, and true strike requires an action. In both my experience and what I've seen online, it's not worth taking.

Other than that, I think your spell list looks pretty good. You target a few different saves, and have good mix of roles covered.

My last nitpicks are that you have a bit of redundancy: shatter and thunderwave; counterspell and dispel magic; and mass suggestion and geas are pretty similar. My recommendation is to pick the first one of each pair.

Finally, you should consider getting wish. It is, to put it mildly, a good, flexible, spell.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-20, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure the table is entirely as you want it, but I get the gist.

Right off the bat, why did you want magic initiate? Eldritch blast isn't the best cantrip without agonizing blast, and I'm not sure hellish rebuke is worth the feat, especially since it won't scale.

Also, I must advise against taking true strike. Two attacks are better than one with advantage, and true strike requires an action. In both my experience and what I've seen online, it's not worth taking.

Other than that, I think your spell list looks pretty good. You target a few different saves, and have good mix of roles covered.

My last nitpicks are that you have a bit of redundancy: shatter and thunderwave; counterspell and dispel magic; and mass suggestion and geas are pretty similar. My recommendation is to pick the first one of each pair.

Finally, you should consider getting wish. It is, to put it mildly, a good, flexible, spell.

Thats right about Hellish Rebuke. Earlier I had it planned for a Magical Secrets grab then I added Magic Initiate.

I think I need to wait for that Level 18 Magical Secrets to grab Wish.

True Strike I have a new theory on using right before combat starts or somewhat socially. I probably should try it out first and see how useful that seems.

Angelalex242
2018-05-20, 08:20 PM
Thats right about Hellish Rebuke. Earlier I had it planned for a Magical Secrets grab then I added Magic Initiate.

I think I need to wait for that Level 18 Magical Secrets to grab Wish.

True Strike I have a new theory on using right before combat starts or somewhat socially. I probably should try it out first and see how useful that seems.

True Strike is the worst designed spell ever. It's not even worth it as a prefight spell, because there's so much better you can cast. Like, say, shield of faith. If you're going to take magic initiate, get shield. It'll save your life someday. For cantrips, use common sense stuff like prestidigitation.

GoodmanDL
2018-05-20, 09:10 PM
At level 17, the 9th level spell you probably want is Foresight

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-20, 10:49 PM
At level 17, the 9th level spell you probably want is Foresight

Foresight, interesting. Not immediately the flashiest thing in the world but advantage to them and disadvantage to those attacking might just save a life. I had to think of the effect of a couple party members having it to really realize that.

Very "Bardie" also.