PDA

View Full Version : What is the best attack cantrip for a Bard to snag?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-19, 10:28 PM
Not even sure I'm gonna ever snag this with a Magical Secrets this but for theory.

Eldritch Blast comes to mind for me. It seems to scale well, 4 D10 attacks by Level 17 and a 120 foot range.

E.B. seems pretty reasonable as it scales, is going to out damage even a strong magical bow like the Oath Bow.

What are your favorites or what else should I consider as the game's best attack cantrips?

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-19, 10:32 PM
Eldritch Blast or Toll the Dead if looking for pure damage. Chill Touch or Frostbite for debuffs.

For melee, Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade if you have a good melee stat, Shocking Grasp, Sword Burst, or Thunderclap if you don't.

Greywander
2018-05-20, 12:03 AM
I'd recommend Vicious Mockery over Frostbite, for a couple of reason. Yes, Vicious Mockery does less damage (1d4 vs. 1d6), but the damage is of a much less resisted type (psychic vs. cold), the saving throw is also a less commonly resisted one (WIS vs. CON, lots of monsters have high CON), and the rider effect gives disadvantage on any attack roll, vs. Frostbite only giving disadvantage on weapon attack rolls.

EB is a solid pure-damage cantrip (as are Chill Touch, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, and even Fire Bolt, although fire damage is often resisted), and would probably be nice to have as a backup, but don't underestimate the rider effect of Vicious Mockery. If you can turn a hit into a miss, you've effectively healed your ally (or yourself!) from the damage they would have taken, without using up a spell slot. It's a solid support spell when you have nothing better to do. Leave the damage dealing to those that are more specialized for it.

If you're looking specifically for something that requires an attack roll (e.g. if you plan on getting Spell Sniper) then EB or Chill Touch would be my recommendations. Chill Touch also has a rider effect, and although it's rare that it will come up, when it does it will really save your butt.

If you want something for melee, I second Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade. As a bard, you only get one attack (unless Valor or Swords), so you might as well enhance it. Sword Burst can be effective if you get surrounded, but you're probably better off casting Misty Step or Dimension Door to get out of dodge before you get slaughtered.

Personally, I like having more than just pure damage (unless I'm specifically building a damage dealer), so I'd probably take Vicious Mockery first, then Chill Touch. If I needed something for melee, either Shocking Grasp or Booming Blade.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-20, 10:51 AM
I'd recommend Vicious Mockery over Frostbite, for a couple of reason. Yes, Vicious Mockery does less damage (1d4 vs. 1d6), but the damage is of a much less resisted type (psychic vs. cold), the saving throw is also a less commonly resisted one (WIS vs. CON, lots of monsters have high CON), and the rider effect gives disadvantage on any attack roll, vs. Frostbite only giving disadvantage on weapon attack rolls.

EB is a solid pure-damage cantrip (as are Chill Touch, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, and even Fire Bolt, although fire damage is often resisted), and would probably be nice to have as a backup, but don't underestimate the rider effect of Vicious Mockery. If you can turn a hit into a miss, you've effectively healed your ally (or yourself!) from the damage they would have taken, without using up a spell slot. It's a solid support spell when you have nothing better to do. Leave the damage dealing to those that are more specialized for it.

If you're looking specifically for something that requires an attack roll (e.g. if you plan on getting Spell Sniper) then EB or Chill Touch would be my recommendations. Chill Touch also has a rider effect, and although it's rare that it will come up, when it does it will really save your butt.

If you want something for melee, I second Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade. As a bard, you only get one attack (unless Valor or Swords), so you might as well enhance it. Sword Burst can be effective if you get surrounded, but you're probably better off casting Misty Step or Dimension Door to get out of dodge before you get slaughtered.

Personally, I like having more than just pure damage (unless I'm specifically building a damage dealer), so I'd probably take Vicious Mockery first, then Chill Touch. If I needed something for melee, either Shocking Grasp or Booming Blade.

You are totally right about Viscous Mockery. I have it and don't even use it enough. Maybe because our DM asks me what I say lol. Next thing I'll have to play the Lute when I want to use Song of Rest lol.

Spore
2018-05-20, 11:16 AM
You are totally right about Viscous Mockery.Next thing I'll have to play the Lute

You mean lube, don't you? With all your viscosity and all. :smallamused:

Citan
2018-05-20, 11:34 AM
Not even sure I'm gonna ever snag this with a Magical Secrets this but for theory.

Eldritch Blast comes to mind for me. It seems to scale well, 4 D10 attacks by Level 17 and a 120 foot range.

E.B. seems pretty reasonable as it scales, is going to out damage even a strong magical bow like the Oath Bow.

What are your favorites or what else should I consider as the game's best attack cantrips?
Hi!

Well, I won't be representative of majority here but... Thorns Whip. :)

Although 30 feet range means you won't be that far away from frontline, making it more suited for Bards with decent AC, it's a melee spell attack that lets you help allies in different ways.

Otherwise, my favorites are Eldricht Blast (several rolls so you will deal some damage) or Ray of Frost (interesting rider) for any Bard, and Booming Blade for Bards geared towards gishiness.

Speely
2018-05-20, 01:08 PM
A bit off-topic, but stealing from Shakespeare is a good source of Vicious Mockery quotes. ;)

Contrast
2018-05-20, 01:17 PM
You are totally right about Viscous Mockery. I have it and don't even use it enough. Maybe because our DM asks me what I say lol. Next thing I'll have to play the Lute when I want to use Song of Rest lol.

Definitely the worst thing about the cantrip is everyone expecting you to come up with funny quips every round of every combat forever. Good thing I was already playing my bard as a pompous idiot or some of the things he's insulted people with would make him seem even more of an idiot.

I've actually found it much less effective than I initially hoped though I may just be getting unlucky on the saves. I've been hitting much less than half with a DC13/14.

Rubbish cantrips aside, it'd be an uphill struggle to convince me its worth spending a magical secret on a better one though.

Ventruenox
2018-05-20, 08:34 PM
Definitely the worst thing about the cantrip is everyone expecting you to come up with funny quips every round of every combat forever.

I printed out 3 pages of one liners to use if I don't have any insults readily handy. I feel like I unlocked an achievement when a mook committed suicide in response to "How does it feel to know you are not worth casting a decent spell on?" I'll just leave this (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3k7qpl/100_bard_insults_for_vicious_mockery/) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508339-Your-Best-Vicious-Mockery-Cutting-Words-Insults!) here.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-20, 08:51 PM
I printed out 3 pages of one liners to use if I don't have any insults readily handy. I feel like I unlocked an achievement when a mook committed suicide in response to "How does it feel to know you are not worth casting a decent spell on?" I'll just leave this (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3k7qpl/100_bard_insults_for_vicious_mockery/) and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508339-Your-Best-Vicious-Mockery-Cutting-Words-Insults!) here.

"08 You are the feces that is created when shame eats too much stupidly!"

Thats pretty funny.

ProseBeforeHos
2018-05-20, 08:52 PM
Vicious mockery from within your class spell list. Toll the dead from without.

Only go eldritch blast if you're multi-classing 2 levels for the invocation, otherwise TTD is gonna be better (I don't recommend this h/w, as it is cheesy as hell).

Foxhound438
2018-05-21, 01:03 AM
Rubbish cantrips aside, it'd be an uphill struggle to convince me its worth spending a magical secret on a better one though.

I would agree with this. Assuming you aren't a blade or valor bard (why would you want an offensive cantrip if you were), after you max charisma you can take magic initiate: sorcerer or warlock for some decent options, getting two cantrips without sacrificing magical secrets. Plus an extra L1 spell, which might be decent depending on what you choose.

Specific things that I like are eldritch blast, toll the dead (others mentioned those above), acid splash for multi-target goodness, ray of frost for the speed down, or create bonfire if you have enough melee allies to get on opposite corners of your target since it repeats damage EOT.

Contrast
2018-05-21, 06:15 AM
Vicious mockery from within your class spell list. Toll the dead from without.

Only go eldritch blast if you're multi-classing 2 levels for the invocation, otherwise TTD is gonna be better (I don't recommend this h/w, as it is cheesy as hell).

I'm not sure I fully agree with this.

Force is much better than necrotic. And the spell description says it involves bells ringing (ymmv on how your DM rules the relative sneakiness of eldritch blast of course).

Obv there's wisdom save vs AC but as I said, I haven't been having great luck landing vicious mockery, nor have I done a comprehensive review of typical enemies encountered to form a meaningful opinion on which of those is better.

I'd be inclined to give the tie breaker to eldritch blast on the basis that it leaves open the option at a later stage of dipping warlock for whatever reason as you say. I wouldn't argue there was much in it either way though.

Vogie
2018-05-21, 07:45 AM
To be fair, if you think you may be grabbing 2 levels in warlock down the way to pick up Agonizing Blast invocation... you're not going to be wasting your Magical Secret on Eldritch Blast.

By the same token, if you plan on grabbing a single level in Death Cleric, you're not going to waste your MS on necromancy cantrips.

Since you're a Bard, thus have access to Bestow Curse, picking up a d12-based cantrip like Toll the Dead or Poison Spray would be wise, as you can make sure your target has disadvantage on their saving throws.