PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hexblade Multiclass help

Redeyes033
2018-05-20, 08:21 AM
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here on GitP, as most of the time I come here to find an answer to a question on character builds and the like, but I decided I would finally post something I've been thinking about for a while.

I have a character, Dark Elf, who I have been playing in this campaign with friends. Currently he's a Lvl 4 Hexblade Warlock who I have been playing as a power-driven, uncompassionate, reluctant hero character who I eventually would like to have end up as a sort of Force of Nature villain by the end of the campaign. Due to this, I feel a Multiclass would be a greater option on how I would better flesh out this character development. I have been tinkering with the idea of going to lvl 5 Hexblade and then at Character lvl 6, multi-classing into either a Fighter (Samurai archetype) or a Sorcerer (Shadow Sorcerer) as this character is also built to maximize on the Eldritch Smite invocation.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on which option you think would make the best sense in terms of the build. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer them. Thanks in advance guys

Speely
2018-05-20, 01:00 PM
Hi, fellow Hexy!

Initial take: maximizing Eldritch Smite while stopping at 5 Warlock seems like a bad idea. The damage scales with Warlock spell level and requires Warlock spell slots. The only way to make this sustainable is to get to spell level 5 (+6d8) since you only get 1-3 smites per short rest. So level 9 is kinda baseline there. Depending on how far the campaign goes, I would prolly suggest level 12 Warlock for ASI/feat balance and Lifedrinker, which is a big damage increase.

If you want to maximize Eldritch Smite, I like Samurai better. As an elf, you have access to Elven Accuracy, and a Samurai can create their own advantage. Sure, Shadow Sorcs can do this w Darkness, but it's less-sustainable. This is a resource-less way to crit fish, which is important because you have so few resources. Reliable tri-vantage makes up for that.

What I mean by that is that, unlike Paladins, Hexblades cannot use the spell slots of other classes to use their smite. Has to be a Warlock spell slot. This means that the best use of those precious few smites is waiting for a crit. By increasing your chances of this, you can more reliably land bigger (if less bountiful) smites between short rests.

Long term: 12 Hex, 8 Samurai. Loses no ASIs and breaks off at a fitting point. Ofc, most campaigns don't go past 15, but I pretty much live in a daydream, so that's my fantasy for you ;)

djreynolds
2018-05-20, 02:46 PM
I think battle master could be a better choice. The trip maneuver can use your strength or dexterity as the DC. And the maneuvers replenish on a short rest just as your spells do.
The progression depends on where your extra attack will come from, fighter or warlock.

bid
2018-05-20, 04:32 PM
Initial take: maximizing Eldritch Blast Smite while stopping at 5 Warlock seems like a bad idea. The damage scales with Warlock spell level and requires Warlock spell slots.
FTFY.:smallwink:

Speely
2018-05-20, 07:58 PM
FTFY.:smallwink:

Hehe yeah thanks. I got caught up in my lil rant. :)