PDA

View Full Version : How Many Races are there In D&D 5e and Which are best

Angelmaker
2018-05-21, 03:46 AM
"Best" depends on what the purpose is. While a goliath is extremely welll suited for warrior, etc. It's lesss interesting for fullcaster thanks to their bonus in con and str.

Arracokra are widely accepted to be OP thanks to their natural flight ability.

Other non playable races might be better, but since theya re non playable it does not matter to me.

Nifft
2018-05-21, 04:00 AM
I am just confusing what are the best D&D 5th edition races and why those only

The best race is whatever I'm currently playing.

RazorChain
2018-05-21, 05:34 AM
The best race is whatever I'm currently playing.

So what are you playing currently? I want to know what the best race is.

2D8HP
2018-05-21, 07:11 AM
I am just confusing what are the best D&D 5th edition races and why those only

In preparation for a newbie game, I set out to collect all of 5e's various subclasses and races from their scattered books and Unearthed Arcana articles. And write brief descriptions. And then I did more... so anyway, I think this is a complete list of all of the 5e player options? I present it for the community to reference, and also so that anyone can point out things I missed.

All of 5e (https://drive.google.com/open?id=12aLWT9Jt3dXgzpYUqeJETO_rGvMk2wms4VBFcewLy Qs)

6/18/16-- Updated with Plane Shift: Zendikar material and an actual list of sources

12/7/17-- Volo's, Xanathar's, and missing UA added.

And since then more have been added with Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

I'm partial to humans and Wood Elves myself, but for "best"?

Halflings.

'cause lucky (seems as good a reason as any other).

RossN
2018-05-21, 07:22 AM
General wisdom seems to run with variant humans (if allowed) but IMO Half-Elves are very good, unless you are making Charisma an outright dump stat.

Anonymouswizard
2018-05-21, 07:42 AM
IIRC there's something like twenty that have been officially published, closer to forty if you include UA.

As for best? In my mind lizardfolk and dragonborn, because lizard prior are cool.