PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Glaive vs Eldritch Claws? Noob here...

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-20, 07:34 PM
I have a lvl 5 Warforged Warlock. I'm pretty new, so I'm trying to understand how they work. Btw, my DM has ruled that Glaive does add the Strength x1.5 bonus to damage. Also, I'm going to use my feats for the Fey heritage line instead of dedicating to melee. The whole group is pretty new and I'm not trying to min/max.

-Glaive:
With my BAB being only 3, is there any reason to use Glaive (besides the extra strength damage)? Without the extra attack from a higher BAB, and no cleric or anyone to buff for extra attacks, what's the point? Just possible AoO? Seems like just blasting would be as good.

Can I move 10 feet and still attack? Can I attack first and then move 10 feet?

-Claws:
Is it 2 attacks regardless of BAB? Is it still a touch attack, or is it now AC? Can I move and attack as normal?

Overall, is there some times when Glaive or Claw is the "right" choice over the other, and is it worth it to have both? Is there any feat that is absolutely essential for a melee warlock?

Thanks!

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-20, 08:01 PM
Eldritch Glaive is a melee touch attack with reach that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, plus it also allows you to make attacks of opportunity.

Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability ranged touch attack that does not threaten any squares nor does it allow you to make attacks of opportunity. At high levels Eldritch Glaive also allows multiple attacks.

Eldritch Claws are a pair of natural melee weapons that make melee (not touch) attacks that do not provoke attacks of opportunity, plus they allow you to make attacks of opportunity. You get to add your unarmed strike damage to eldritch claws plus you can make two primary attacks with the claws.

So each has advantages and disadvantages.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-20, 08:08 PM
you can make two primary attacks with the claws.

Always, regardless of BAB?

Solaris
2018-05-20, 08:12 PM

Correct. The extra attacks from certain types of natural weapons are a separate thing from the extra attacks from having a high base attack bonus, which are called iterative attacks. These natural weapons always state how many attacks you get with them (typically something along the lines of "two claws as primary, one bite as secondary").

You do not get iterative attacks with natural weapons, but you do with manufactured weapons and unarmed strikes.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-20, 08:13 PM

"Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons."SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons)

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-20, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much for the fast answers!

What about movement? Can I move greater than 5 feet and attack with Glaive in the same round?

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-20, 08:25 PM
Thanks so much for the fast answers!

What about movement? Can I move greater than 5 feet and attack with Glaive in the same round?

"As a full-round action, you can make a single melee touch attack as it wielding a reach weapon...If your base attack bonus is +6 or higher, you can (as part of the full-round action) make as many attacks with your eldritch glaive as your base attack bonus allows."DM p82

So attacking with the Glaive is always a full round action. If you have a way to gain additional actions (i.e. belt of battle), then you can move and use the glaive. But normally you will only be able to take your 5 foot step.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-20, 08:34 PM
Ok. So it seems as though the Glaive isn't too useful until I get iterative attacks, but can be a good debuffer at that time.

Can the debuffer invocations (essences) be applied to the claws?

Necroticplague
2018-05-20, 08:42 PM
-Glaive:
With my BAB being only 3, is there any reason to use Glaive (besides the extra strength damage)? Without the extra attack from a higher BAB, and no cleric or anyone to buff for extra attacks, what's the point? Just possible AoO? Seems like just blasting would be as good.
Eventually, you'll get those seconds attacks, though. Plus an extra possible attack from AoO.

Can I move 10 feet and still attack? Can I attack first and then move 10 feet? Technically, yes, but saying so is probably misleading to you if you have to ask. Eldritch Glaive is a full-round action. That means it eats up your Standard and Move actions both. For a standard PC, this makes the answer 'no', just like how you can't move and full-attack on the same turn. However, if you have some method of moving as a non-move-or-standard action, then you can make use of it. Such as Sudden Leap, 5 foot steps and Abrupt Juant

-Claws:
Is it 2 attacks regardless of BAB? Is it still a touch attack, or is it now AC? Can I move and attack as normal?

The claws are absolutely normal claw attacks. The only unusual property about them is their damage dice. They're not an invocation, not an eldritch blast. Just a normal set of claws with some wierd damage.

So, as per the normal rules for natural weapons: Yes;standard AC; yes, but you'd be limited to just one attack during your standard action attack as normal, you'd need to use a full-round attack (making you immobile) to use both.

Can the debuffer invocations (essences) be applied to the claws?
No. The Claws aren't an eldritch blast. They're just claws. This makes as much sense as asking if you can apply blast essences to a lizardman's racial claws.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-20, 09:11 PM
No. The Claws aren't an eldritch blast. They're just claws. This makes as much sense as asking if you can apply blast essences to a lizardman's racial claws.
This part doesn't make sense to me. They're not actual claws... "you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws" reads very similar to "Your eldritch blast takes on physical substance, appearing similar to a glaive".

So what is the difference?

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-20, 09:17 PM
Most people prefer the glaive because if you are going to move and attack it is just as easy to move and shoot as move and make a melee attack.

The claws are useful in the odd monk/warlock build for unarmed damage.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-20, 10:45 PM
This part doesn't make sense to me. They're not actual claws... "you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws" reads very similar to "Your eldritch blast takes on physical substance, appearing similar to a glaive".

Eldritch Glaive states "If you hit, your target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast (including any eldritch essence applied to the blast)."

Eldritch Claws states "On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage."

Note that the claws only reference the eldritch blast damage but not any essence.

skunk3
2018-05-21, 12:55 AM
I have always ruled that you can use blast essences with the claws because while it doesn't explicitly state that you can or cannot anywhere, it just seems to make sense because of the fact that every other battle ability allows you to do so (hideous blow, eldritch glaive, hideous shot, etc.) and you also need to take a feat just to be able to use the claws anyway, which I personally think is stupid. I think it should be an invocation rather than a feat... Perhaps not a least invocation, but an invocation nonetheless.

If you turn your eldritch blast energy into a set of claws, why on earth wouldn't you be able to add a blast essence to them? The same kind of people who argue against this are those who argue against warlocks being able to add shapes or essences to hellfire blasts.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 12:59 AM
I see.

Now, my Warforged also has a slam attack. Does this interact with the Claws or Glaive in any way? Do I use the slam 1d4 when finding the damage done by the claw attacks?

At lvl 5, my Claw damage should be 3d6 (EB) + 1D4 (slam) + Str bonus for each hit, correct?

Troacctid
2018-05-21, 01:35 AM
I see.

Now, my Warforged also has a slam attack. Does this interact with the Claws or Glaive in any way? Do I use the slam 1d4 when finding the damage done by the claw attacks?

At lvl 5, my Claw damage should be 3d6 (EB) + 1D4 (slam) + Str bonus for each hit, correct?
The claws use the normal rules for making a full attack with natural weapons. So you can use a standard action to attack with a single claw or slam, but if you make a full attack, you can attack with both claws as well as any other natural weapons you have that don't conflict with them. That's one of the advantages of Eldritch Claws—it's possible to stack it with other natural weapons.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-21, 01:37 AM
I see.

You don't add the slam damage to claws, so it would just be EB+Str. However, you have one slam and two claws so you can make three attacks total which is actually better if all of them hit

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 01:53 AM
So a full attack with Eldritch Claws would be:
Str:16 BAB:3
Claw +6/ Claw +6/ Slam +1
And damage if all hit:
3D6+3/ 3D6+3/ 1D4+3

Wow... If that's right, that's pretty awesome at level 5!

emeraldstreak
2018-05-21, 04:23 AM
I have a lvl 5 Warforged Warlock. I'm pretty new, so I'm trying to understand how they work. Btw, my DM has ruled that Glaive does add the Strength x1.5 bonus to damage. Also, I'm going to use my feats for the Fey heritage line instead of dedicating to melee. The whole group is pretty new and I'm not trying to min/max.

-Glaive:

Can I move 10 feet and still attack? Can I attack first and then move 10 feet?

-Claws:

Overall, is there some times when Glaive or Claw is the "right" choice over the other, and is it worth it to have both? Is there any feat that is absolutely essential for a melee warlock?

Thanks!

Popular items allowing some move&full round include chronocharm of the horizon walker, anklets of translocation, the belt mentioned above. If you want even more move&attack, consider multiclassing for Travel Devotion (or pounce if the action is a regular full-round attack).

Claws can do really high damage on the right character.

Nifft
2018-05-21, 04:44 AM
Claws are high-investment, high-damage.

Glaive is a one-and-done way to cover all your melee needs, and Reach is really nice for people who didn't want to be in melee in the first place.

Necroticplague
2018-05-21, 04:50 AM

One is a Blast Shape invocation. The other is a feat. Thus, barring any text otherwise, the former can have Blast Essence applied to it (as it's an Eldritch Blast, just shaped funny), while the latter cannot (it's not an Eldritch Blast).

And yes, they are actual claws.

I see.

The glaive is a normal touch attack that applies Eldritch Blast on hit, and a Claw is a normal natural weapon attack. These are entirely seperate from your slam attacks. Again, to use my earlier lizardman analogy, this makes as much sense as getting your bite damage on your Chocking Grasp spell (for the former) or your claw attacks (for the latter).

The Beast Strike feat, however, does let you do something approaching this, which is why it's a recomended feat for clawlocks. You do add the damage from your UAS to your claws, after all.

Nifft
2018-05-21, 04:56 AM
The glaive is a normal touch attack that applies Eldritch Blast on hit, and a Claw is a normal touch attack. I think the glaive is a touch attack, but the claws are not.

your Chocking Grasp spell Kinky.

Necroticplague
2018-05-21, 05:24 AM
I think the glaive is a touch attack, but the claws are not.

Correct, that’s what I get for. Not checking closely after I copy-paste. Edited to be more correct now.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 08:25 AM
So a full attack with Eldritch Claws would be:
Str:16 BAB:3
And damage if all hit:
3D6+3/ 3D6+3/ 1D4+3

Wow... If that's right, that's pretty awesome at level 5!

Can someone confirm this for me?

Also, if I take a move action greater than 5 feet and attack I would only make one claw attack and no slam attack, is this right?

SethFahad
2018-05-21, 08:33 AM
"So attacking with the Glaive is always a full round action. If you have a way to gain additional actions (i.e. belt of battle), then you can move and use the glaive. But normally you will only be able to take your 5 foot step.

...Or Travel Devotion... :)
(Move as a swift action)

zergling.exe
2018-05-21, 09:22 AM
Can someone confirm this for me?

Also, if I take a move action greater than 5 feet and attack I would only make one claw attack and no slam attack, is this right?

The Slam would be a secondary natural attack when paired with the claws, so it'd only get half-rounded-down Str modifier damage.

If you attack as a standard action you may only make 1 attack in the absence of abilities like Double Hit (name may not be accurate). This applies to natural weapons as much as manufactured weapons.

Note that making a 5-foot step is NOT a move action, it consumes your ENTIRE movement to move 5 feet while not provoking AoOs and being able to be used during a full attack. You can still use your move action to do something else if you take a 5-foor step, just not movement.

Necroticplague
2018-05-21, 09:23 AM
Can someone confirm this for me? Depends on the damage of your Unarmed Strike. Can’t determine without more info.

Also, I beleive the slam is a primary natural weapon, so it would be +6 across the board.

Assuming you only have one move action, correct.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 09:59 AM
The Slam would be a secondary natural attack when paired with the claws,

Also, I beleive the slam is a primary natural weapon, so it would be +6 across the board.

???

Depends on the damage of your Unarmed Strike. Can’t determine without more info.
Wow, this is so complicated!
As a medium creature, he would have 1D3 non-lethal, correct? Why would unarmed strike be involved? I'm attacking with natural weapons, which is different from unarmed strikes, isn't it?

Could someone give me a sample equation for a full attack with Eldritch Claws and a slam?

Nifft
2018-05-21, 10:22 AM
Even if a Slam can be primary, you'd never have two types of primary natural weapon during a single full attack.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons

I recommend designating the eldritch claws as primary.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-21, 10:33 AM
So yeah. You get 1 primary natural attack. Think of this like your main hand in TWFing.

On thay weapon you make the listed number of attacks at the listed qty. You add the listed str mod.

For you this is 2 claw attacks with +str to damage.

You can also make AS MANY SECONDARY NATURAL ATTACKS AS YOU HAVE NATURAL WEAPONS.

In this case you have 1 slam. Secondary natural attacks are ALWAYS +.5 str to damage and at -5 to hit. The exception beeing the multiattack and improved multiattack feats reducing and then removing the attack penalty.

If you make a full attack with a manufactured weapon or unarmed strike you make ALL natural weapon attacks as secondary attacks.

A clawlock (a warlock using eldrich claws) tend to want to pick up the beast strike, multiattack and improved multiattack feats and wear a monk's belt. Then you start looking for things like a fang mask that give extra natural attacks.

Beaststrike adds your claw damage to your unarmed strike damage. You get itterative attacks with unarmed strikes. This more or less gives you itterative attacks AND your 2 claw attacks each round as a full attack.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 10:38 AM
Ok, so let me try this again.

My level 5 Warforged Warlock has a Strength of 16, a BAB of 3, the Eldritch Claws feat, Eldricht Blast damage of 3d6, and a natural Slam attack of 1D4.

A full attack should look like this:

And damage if all hit:
3D6+3/ 3D6+3/ 1D4+1

Is this correct?

animewatcha
2018-05-21, 10:39 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that Warlock is d6 hitpoint die. So it would be glass cannon melee. You wanna make sure that your melee attacks don't wind up with you being on the receiving end of anything.

Remuko
2018-05-21, 10:47 AM
Depends on the damage of your Unarmed Strike. Can’t determine without more info.

You seem to be confusing with Pathfinder where things are locked into primary or secondary. The slam is primary if he uses it as a primary weapon then claws are secondary, but if he uses the claws as his primary then the slam automatically becomes a secondary attack taking all associated penalties in 3.5

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-21, 10:53 AM
Ok, so let me try this again.

My level 5 Warforged Warlock has a Strength of 16, a BAB of 3, the Eldritch Claws feat, Eldricht Blast damage of 3d6, and a natural Slam attack of 1D4.

And damage if all hit:
3D6+3/ 3D6+3/ 1D4+1

Is this correct?

Yes. This is correct.

Alternativly you could do
1d4+4 Slam at +6/2 x 3d6+1 claws at +1

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 11:11 AM
Yes. This is correct.

Alternativly you could do
1d4+4 Slam at +6/2 x 3d6+1 claws at +1
Awesome. Thanks so much everyone for helping me understand this, it's been an adventure lol

Necroticplague
2018-05-21, 11:32 AM
Wow, this is so complicated!
As a medium creature, he would have 1D3 non-lethal, correct? Why would unarmed strike be involved? I'm attacking with natural weapons, which is different from unarmed strikes, isn't it?

Um, because Eldritch Claws clearly says it is?

As a free action, you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws extending almost an entire foot from your hands. While your eldritch claws exist you may make up to two claw attacks as natural weapons. You are automatically proficient with your eldritch claws. On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage. Once you form your eldritch claws they remain until just before the beginning of your next turn. You cannot use your normal eldritch blast ability while your eldritch claws exist. A monk may not use eldritch claws as part of her flurry of blows.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 11:40 AM
Um, because Eldritch Claws clearly says it is?

Ok, so then it should look like this?

My level 5 Warforged Warlock has a Strength of 16, a BAB of 3, the Eldritch Claws feat, Eldricht Blast damage of 3d6, a natural Slam attack, and an unarmed strike damage of 1d3.

And damage if all hit:
3D6+1D3+3/ 3D6+1D3+3/ 1D4+1

Is this correct?

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-21, 11:56 AM
Again, another good reason to consider a monks belt and posibly a fang ring. The pair work together to turn that 1d4 into 2d6 damage.

The you get beaststrike and do eldrich damage + unarmed strike x2(4d6) with your unarmed strikes.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 12:01 PM
Again, another good reason to consider a monks belt and posibly a fang ring. The pair work together to turn that 1d4 into 2d6 damage.

The you get beaststrike and do eldrich damage + unarmed strike x2(4d6) with your unarmed strikes.
Right, but I just want to know the basics before I start upgrading. Does Necroticplague have it right?

Red Fel
2018-05-21, 12:34 PM
Ok, so then it should look like this?

My level 5 Warforged Warlock has a Strength of 16, a BAB of 3, the Eldritch Claws feat, Eldricht Blast damage of 3d6, a natural Slam attack, and an unarmed strike damage of 1d3.

And damage if all hit:
3D6+1D3+3/ 3D6+1D3+3/ 1D4+1

Is this correct?

You skipped a step.

As has been mentioned, on a full attack, you can attack with your iterative attack cycle (usually, but not always, manufactured weapons) as well as any natural attacks as secondaries.

So, while your above sequence is correct if you are omitting your iteratives, it could also be:

Unarmed +6 / Claw +1 / Claw +1 / Slam +1

Dealing

1d3+3 / 3d6+1d3+1/ 3d6+1d3+1/ 1d4+1

It's not a lot, at first, but once your BAB picks up, you'll have multiple iterative attacks before you get to your claw/claw/slam combo.

Now, the Beast Strike feat has been mentioned. It requires Improved Unarmed Strike, which you'll want anyway if you're using unarmed strikes. It lets you add your claw damage to your unarmed strikes. Right now, your unarmed strikes are the least impressive part of this combo, adding a measly 1d3+3 of nonlethal damage (as compared to your 3d6+1d3+3 from each claw). What Beast Strike does is allow you to add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strikes. And since your claw damage3 includes 1d3 from your unarmed strike already, that's basically doubling your unarmed damage, before adding Blast damage.

By way of example, an unarmed strike would deal 1d3 + 3d6 + 1d3 + 3. Per hit. The first 1d3 comes from the unarmed strike itself, the 3d6 and second 1d3 are collectively your "claw damage," and the +3 is your STR modifier bonus.

So, yeah. That's some math, there, but the gist is:
1. If you're not using unarmed strikes, your claw/claw/slam calculation is correct.
2. If you are using unarmed strikes, those become your primary (+6); everything else is secondary (+1), and you add your 1d3+3 unarmed damage on the front end.
3. If you eventually add on Beast Strike, that damage will scale up significantly.

Red Fel
2018-05-21, 12:48 PM
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but how would you do unarmed strike x2 with your unarmed strike?

That's what the Beast Strike feat is for. You add your Eldritch Claws damage to your unarmed strike. Since your Eldritch Claws already deal damage that includes your unarmed strike damage, adding that to your unarmed strikes effectively doubles your unarmed strike damage. While also adding Eldritch Blast damage.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 12:53 PM
You skipped a step.

As has been mentioned, on a full attack, you can attack with your iterative attack cycle (usually, but not always, manufactured weapons) as well as any natural attacks as secondaries.

So, while your above sequence is correct if you are omitting your iteratives, it could also be:

Unarmed +6 / Claw +1 / Claw +1 / Slam +1

Dealing

1d3+3 / 3d6+1d3+1/ 3d6+1d3+1/ 1d4+1

It's not a lot, at first, but once your BAB picks up, you'll have multiple iterative attacks before you get to your claw/claw/slam combo.

So, yeah. That's some math, there, but the gist is:
1. If you're not using unarmed strikes, your claw/claw/slam calculation is correct.
2. If you are using unarmed strikes, those become your primary (+6); everything else is secondary (+1), and you add your 1d3+3 unarmed damage on the front end.

Wow. This keeps getting crazier.

But, for my unarmed attack to be lethal damage, it would be at a -4 to hit, wouldn't it? Making it:
To hit
Unarmed +2/ Claw +1/ Claw +1/ Slam +1
Damage
1D3+3/ 3D6+1D3+1/ 3D6+1D3+1/ 1D4+1

That seems pretty nuts for level 5 and not optimized at all with any extra feats or equipment. But honestly I would probably skip the Unarmed strike to get the +6 on the claws in most cases, at least at this level.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-21, 01:15 PM
Wow. This keeps getting crazier.

But, for my unarmed attack to be lethal damage, it would be at a -4 to hit, wouldn't it? Making it:
To hit
Unarmed +2/ Claw +1/ Claw +1/ Slam +1
Damage
1D3+3/ 3D6+1D3+1/ 3D6+1D3+1/ 1D4+1

That seems pretty nuts for level 5 and not optimized at all with any extra feats or equipment. But honestly I would probably skip the Unarmed strike to get the +6 on the claws in most cases, at least at this level.
Yeah, for now focus on the claw side. At 9th level beaststrike should come online (a fang rings grants improved unarmed strike, don't take the feat)

Wear a gauntlet and your unarmed strikes are lethal for free.

You can enchant the gauntlet as a weapon as well.

And gauntlets are weapons, not armor. No acf or anything like that.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 01:35 PM
Yeah, for now focus on the claw side. At 9th level beaststrike should come online (a fang rings grants improved unarmed strike, don't take the feat)

Wear a gauntlet and your unarmed strikes are lethal for free.

You can enchant the gauntlet as a weapon as well.

And gauntlets are weapons, not armor. No acf or anything like that.

Can a Warforged wear a gauntlet? I've already taken the mithril body feat, he's kinda walking armor already!

Remuko
2018-05-21, 01:43 PM
Can a Warforged wear a gauntlet? I've already taken the mithril body feat, he's kinda walking armor already!

its not armor so yes. hell theres a special weapon specifically for warforged (iirc) called the Warforged Cestus (i think thats it?)

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-21, 01:45 PM
And you can take a battlefist to up your slam AND unarmed strike damage 1 size, and add the weapon properties to both.

RAW you just need 1, but your DM may require you to get one for each hand. Do it. Have big clawed gorrila arms.

Red Fel
2018-05-21, 01:49 PM

Pretty sure he can. Only part of the body Mithril Body blocks is the torso, if memory serves; nothing stops him, for example, from wearing a helmet or holding a shield.

I don't see this interaction at all and I've read them a couple of times each now. Is there some updated version of these feats or so?

Okay, let me try this. According to the Beast Strike feat:

When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strike or grapple damage.
Emphasis mine. So, according to Beast Strike, your damage on unarmed strikes is Unarmed Strike Damage + Claw Damage. With me so far?

So, what exactly is your "Claw Damage?" Well, according to Eldritch Claws:

On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage.
Again, emphasis mine. So, according to Eldritch Claws, your Eldritch Claw (EC) damage is the sum of your Unarmed Strike Damage (US) and your Eldritch Blast Damage (EB) - or, to put it differently, EC = US + EB.

Here's how we put them together. As we previously covered, Beast Strike adds your Claw damage to your US damage. That means that, according to Beast Strike, your unarmed strikes deal US + Claw. Now, your Claw = EC, so your unarmed strikes deal US + EC. Your EC deals US + EB, so your unarmed strikes deal US + (EC) = US + (US + EB) = 2xUS + EB, or twice your unarmed damage, plus Eldritch Blast.

That's the math.

Nifft
2018-05-21, 02:16 PM
Eldritch Claws (Dragon Mag)
Improved Unarmed Strike
Superior Unarmed Strike (ToB)
Beast Strike (Dragon Mag)

... it's a lot of feats to invest, and that's before Improved Natural Attack or Snap Kick (ToB).

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-21, 02:20 PM
There is another way to look at it though, and a DM would be justified in considering this alternative view.

When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strike or grapple damage.

On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage.

When you make an unarmed strike and hit, you are making a successful attack with an unarmed strike, not with an eldritch claw. You get to add claw damage into the strike, but the effect of the eldritch claw isn't triggered as you didn't make a successful attack with the claw. Whether this means you don't do any damage (since the eldritch claw doesn't state a base damage like a normal claw) or your eldritch blast damage (which might be considered your base damage in this case) or your eldritch blast plus unarmed strike damage is going to depend upon how the DM reads this.

Deaconjunglist
2018-05-21, 06:20 PM
Since the Glaive is a full attack, would the natural slam attack trigger?

For example there's an enemy at 10' and another at 5'. Could I Glaive one and Slam the other? If so, what would the math be on that?

Edit: I think I found my answer. It's not really a full attack, so no.

The use of eldritch glaive is a full-round invocation (last until just before the start of your next turn). Not a full round attack. As such any action that requires an attack action can't be combined with the eldritch glaive invocation.