PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Anything comparable to the 3.0 wounding special ability in 3.5?

mabriss lethe
2018-05-20, 09:23 PM
I was browsing through some old 3.0 material, and came across that version of the Wounding special property in the DMG. I'd forgotten that it was massively overhauled in 3.5. (short version for those who don't remember: 3.0 wounding ability dealt a continuous damage over time effect equal to the number of times the creature had been dealt damage by the weapon, In 3.5 it was overhauled to simply do a point of Con damage every hit.)

Is there anything in the 3.5 catalogue of weapon abilities, feats, spells, and so on, that works in a similar fashion to 3.0 Wounding? (I'm drawing a blank, personally.)

PhantasyPen
2018-05-20, 09:53 PM
I believe anything that causes "bleed" damage is what you're looking for, if I recall correctly some of the shifter feats in eberron do this exact thing actually.

Vaern
2018-05-20, 09:57 PM
There's an "implacable" enchantment in MIC that causes the subject to bleed for 2 damage each round for 5 rounds, and the effect stacks with itself each time the subject takes damage from it. I don't know if the old wounding effect had a limited duration on it, but this effect looks pretty close.

ViperMagnum357
2018-05-20, 09:57 PM
The Bearded Devil from MM1 has the Infernal Wound ability, inflicting a bleeding status like the old 3.0 Wounding quality.

mabriss lethe
2018-05-20, 11:20 PM
There's an "implacable" enchantment in MIC that causes the subject to bleed for 2 damage each round for 5 rounds, and the effect stacks with itself each time the subject takes damage from it. I don't know if the old wounding effect had a limited duration on it, but this effect looks pretty close.

I think this is what,specifically, I was thinking of. I knew I'd seen something, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was/where.

Darrin
2018-05-21, 09:00 AM
The Wind and Fire feat (Secrets of Sarlona) allows you to do bleed damage with cutting wheels.

The Viscount
2018-05-21, 01:33 PM
Arterial Strike will also do it, and a small number of monsters retain the old wounding ability, like the Nycaloth and bat swarm.