PDA

View Full Version : party finds an efferti bottle and we roll a 95 when we open it, now what to wish for.

Davrix
2018-05-20, 09:56 PM
Basically cliffhanger at the end of my last game with long running table. We found the bottle, decided to open it and got the three wishes. So to avoid utter chaos we broke for the week and have been debating on what to wish for.

Now we are not trying to "screw" the DM but its 3 wishes so we sort of want to have fun and see what we can get out of this.

At least on my end my dragonborn character comes from a dragon empire and while wishing to be a dragon would be fun that's not going to end well. So I was thinking along the lines of wishing for the power to cast the shapechange spell once per day as it would still give a hard limit based on my level of what CR I could go up to.

Another friend was thinking of just wishing for the staff of the Magi because he really wants it but i warned him that wishes like this could simply take the item from something more powerful then us and it will come looking for its property. (depending on our DM)

So any fun suggestions that are not THAT silly but just a little silly :)

Ryblackadder
2018-05-20, 10:15 PM
Along the lines of becoming a dragon, maybe wishing to become a half dragon could prove interesting. You’d gain immunity to your element instead of resistance, greater breath weapon, and a tail. However this also might be too powerful in which case you could ask for something your DM will appreciate... Knowing a secret about the main villain. This is vague enough that your DM Can have fun with what he shares but who knows... that secret could be what’s used to bring him down.

Trask
2018-05-20, 10:21 PM
I wouldnt worry too much about "screwing" your DM. Its a wish, this is the THE time to dream big if there ever was one. He wouldn't (or shouldnt) have let the possibility for a efreeti into your possession if he wasnt willing to deal with big boy wishes.

If I were you I'd wish to become a king, or for armor that makes me invincible, for eternal life, or maybe for the hand of the most beautiful woman in the entire world. Yeah that last one caused the trojan war but thats what LEGENDS are made of. You guys got a freaking wish, its time to change history.

Good luck, im jealous :smallbiggrin:

Lord8Ball
2018-05-20, 11:15 PM
Well, Effereti is known to more sadistic when granting wishes. So why don't you do something to troll or make someone suffer so that it indirectly works towards your goals? The evil genie will probably go along with it and maybe even add improvements as long as you don't give him to the context of whatever your true goals are. Here are some silly ideas of what you can do.

Book of misfortune:
I wish whomever's name I write upon this book's pages, with the exception of my own, is cursed with minor inconveniences.
Ex. (insert name) will have a migraine in the morning.
Uses: Troll your enemies from a distance.

Creating prophecies:
Come up with a cool rhyme to describe a future event.
EX. When the dragons get slain by humans, A new golden era of (insert country) comes, For the glory of the light, they will try to banish the night, they will create a second sun, that will wither the ground.
Uses: Surprise your Dm and shape the history of the world for generations to come.

Learning infernal arts:
I wish that within the next decade on this plane's time that I will learn the art of creating and using soul binding contracts, from a devil.

Also make sure to give the Efritti your wish in writing with appropriate grammer to decrease margain for error or tampering.

lxion
2018-05-21, 06:37 AM
If your party has certain enemies that are annoying, wish that they'll be turned into sheep.
You can also wish to have all the collected knowledge of ancient beings (eg Aboleths). Or just go for silliness and ask all sizes to be in reverse (tiny becomes gargantuan etc).

RossN
2018-05-21, 06:51 AM
If your party has certain enemies that are annoying, wish that they'll be turned into sheep.

Better yet turn them into Pseudodragons. Davrix's character will have both increased the number of dragons in the game world and had revenge!

Angelalex242
2018-05-21, 07:19 AM
In previous editions, wishes could grant stat boosts.

So whatever your primary stat is, wish for more of it 3 times.

Alternatively, in an adventure league tier 4 adventure, there's 'Efreeti Chain', which gives you +3 Chain mail, immunity to fire, lava walk, and speak/read/understand primordial. You could wish for a copy of that.

Or, to be REALLY clever, wish for the Efreet's true name. Then he's stuck answering your summon spells every time you call him. If you can't naturally summon him, wish for the means to do so, like a ring or whatever.

M Placeholder
2018-05-21, 08:54 AM
If I were you I'd wish to become a king, or for armor that makes me invincible, for eternal life, or maybe for the hand of the most beautiful woman in the entire world.
Good luck, im jealous :smallbiggrin:

Wish to become a King? Transports you to a Kingdom that has been overrun by a peasant revolt and they are getting that guillotine blade nice and sharp.

Armour that makes you invincible? You get transported to the crypt of a legendary king whose bones have turned to dust, and are now sealed in his coffin.

Eternal life? You get turned into a living statue.

Hand of the most beautiful woman in the entire world? A Cleric of Tyr slices her hand off in veneration to her god, and you hold her hand in yours.

Remember what you are dealing with.

Angelalex242
2018-05-21, 05:31 PM
Wish to become a King? Transports you to a Kingdom that has been overrun by a peasant revolt and they are getting that guillotine blade nice and sharp.

Armour that makes you invincible? You get transported to the crypt of a legendary king whose bones have turned to dust, and are now sealed in his coffin.

Hand of the most beautiful woman in the entire world? A Cleric of Tyr slices her hand off in veneration to her god, and you hold her hand in yours.

Hence, above:

Step 1: Wish for his True Name
Step 2: Wish for the means to summon him as often as you want.
Step 3: Save that third wish for when you really need it.

Trask
2018-05-21, 06:05 PM

Ok well hopefully OP could phrase it more tightly than my simple spitballing :smalltongue:

But still, my point was that if I were him, I would wish big and not think about keeping the "balance" of the game or annoying my DM. Thats what wishes are for!

Davrix
2018-05-21, 06:46 PM
I actually like the idea of wishing for his true name. And then a ring to summon him to my aid.

That being said, there is a main villain that has been bugging the party for years the thought of having them summoned before us inside a anti-magic zone (Its a caster) and just murdering the hell out of it sounds like a good use of a wish to me as well.

Also as a side note this wasn't planned. We sort of hit a grab bag treasure horde and for fun the DM let us roll random loot on the DMG tables for once and this cropped up. We all sort of laughed and then laughed even harder when the 95 came up when we tested the bottle. So its just one of those holy crap the dice moments.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-21, 07:02 PM
Your character wants to be a Dragon? Then have them wish to be able to become a Dragon (Or something close). Honestly, if you and your DM can find a balanced way to make your character’s dream come true, have them not be horribly mutilated/cursed, and still be a PC, it could be really fun for you. Just ask your DM if you can be a Dragon with a CR equivalent to the average party’s level. Shouldn’t be too strong, right?

Davrix
2018-05-21, 07:08 PM
Your character wants to be a Dragon? Then have them wish to be able to become a Dragon (Or something close). Honestly, if you and your DM can find a balanced way to make your character’s dream come true, have them not be horribly mutilated/cursed, and still be a PC, it could be really fun for you. Just ask your DM if you can be a Dragon with a CR equivalent to the average party’s level. Shouldn’t be too strong, right?

To many problems and not possible to balance and you either have to loose your class to do it or make it something that is just to silly to be realistic and will just annoy any sane DM with the idea of it. Which was why I suggested a once per day shape-change ability. Its still Powerful as hell but you have an auto CR break point built in and I would say make it a minute instead of an hour. Something like that can be managed better at least for such a transformation. But mainly I threw it in there as an obvious silly choice. There are much more fun things to do.

Trask
2018-05-21, 07:27 PM
To many problems and not possible to balance and you either have to loose your class to do it or make it something that is just to silly to be realistic and will just annoy any sane DM with the idea of it. Which was why I suggested a once per day shape-change ability. Its still Powerful as hell but you have an auto CR break point built in and I would say make it a minute instead of an hour. Something like that can be managed better at least for such a transformation. But mainly I threw it in there as an obvious silly choice. There are much more fun things to do.

I would just ask to play a dragon, like give the actual dragon stat block from the MM and I'll play that. You can "level up" at levels where proficiency goes up and I can add to my proficiency, and add more HD or maybe reroll all my HD. Could also add a few of your old class abilities, like a fighter could bring second wind, and action surge, a wizard could bring a number of spells.

Maybe your DM will be amendable, you never know. If you really wish to be a dragon I say go for it, shapechange is cool too if thats what you prefer but speaking as a mostly DM, dont give up just because you dont want to bother him.

Angelalex242
2018-05-21, 10:08 PM

In my game, it was easier to have my high level paladin fall in love with a Silver Dragon then it is to play one. After all, if she's my lover, she can simply not be included in missions where the DM isn't planning for her, but she can be included on any mission the DM wants her to be included on.

Lunali
2018-05-21, 10:30 PM
If it were me, I would probably wish for a blessing of some sort as the effect could be small enough for it not to get twisted too badly, while still being something that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to obtain.

As for the dragon wish, I would avoid wishes that are likely to end with your character becoming an NPC.

Unoriginal
2018-05-22, 03:32 AM
My advice is to wish for things that benefit the Efreeti too.

Like "I wish for me, my group and the Efreeti to be safely transported to the harbor the closest to [X important place] as the beneficiaries of an all-paid-for luxury cruise" or "I wish me, my group and the Efreeti to be made immune to X" or other things like that.

Efreet have far less reasons to screw a wish up when they're included in the benefits. Their problem is with servitude, but they know self-interest.

Might even make them appreciate you to an extant, rape dông on the individual Genie.