PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Crusader...?

TimeWizard
2007-09-05, 08:36 PM
This is my first attempt at questioning what makes some feats very, very good, so please be kind and patient.

Supernatural Crusader gives you plus one to hit and plus one damage against "a creature with a supernatural ability". It's from the Tome of Magic, in the binder section. I take it that it was meant to be used against binders, but don't a lot of classes and monsters have supernatural abilities? Is this feat considered very powerful because of that?

Anxe
2007-09-05, 09:29 PM
Does it have any requirements? It's not super-overpowered, but yes it is pretty good. That gives the PC a +1 against pretty much everything, but it's still only a +1.

Thinker
2007-09-05, 09:34 PM
+1 to hit and damage is pretty weak. Even if everything in the game had a supernatural ability, this would by no means be a must have.

TimeWizard
2007-09-05, 09:34 PM
Knowledge: Arcana, 2 ranks. Attainable at first level by everyone not a 8 or less INT fighter.

Ninja: next post.

TimeWizard
2007-09-05, 09:38 PM
+1 to hit and damage is pretty weak. Even if everything in the game had a supernatural ability, this would by no means be a must have.

I would like that clarified, as this seems to be a +3 damage bonus to Power Attack. Why is +1 to hit and damage pretty weak for a first level feat? Seems like its on par with Weapon Focus (the trade being the security of any weapon in hand vs. the security of every enemy).

Kizara
2007-09-05, 09:42 PM
Its overpowered but not amazingly so.

If you changed it to "outsiders" it would be alot more reasonable.

The_Snark
2007-09-05, 10:48 PM
It... isn't really overpowered. Looking at NPCs, five of the core classes have supernatural abilities (monk, cleric, druid, bard, paladin). None of the core races possess supernatural abilities. Many spellcasting classes don't have any, and many mundane classes don't have any. (Note carefully the difference between supernatural and spell-like abilities.)

As for monsters, it is true that most monsters at higher level possess supernatural abilities. But by the time you've gotten to high levels, +1 to attack and damage doesn't matter all that much. And at low levels, there are plenty of monsters without supernatural abilities.

It's not that great a feat.

Kizara
2007-09-06, 01:47 AM
It... isn't really overpowered. Looking at NPCs, five of the core classes have supernatural abilities (monk, cleric, druid, bard, paladin). None of the core races possess supernatural abilities. Many spellcasting classes don't have any, and many mundane classes don't have any. (Note carefully the difference between supernatural and spell-like abilities.)

As for monsters, it is true that most monsters at higher level possess supernatural abilities. But by the time you've gotten to high levels, +1 to attack and damage doesn't matter all that much. And at low levels, there are plenty of monsters without supernatural abilities.

It's not that great a feat.

Spellcasting or spell-like abilities don't count for the purposes of this feat?

It's more reasonable then, I'll lower my statment to 'pretty good'.

But you should note that you need to look at the feat in context to what you generally fight in DnD: the monsters, not the PC classes.

Thinker
2007-09-06, 10:54 AM
I would like that clarified, as this seems to be a +3 damage bonus to Power Attack. What +1 to hit and damage pretty weak for a first level feat? Seems like its on par with Weapon Focus (the trade being the security of any weapon in hand vs. the security of every enemy).

It is about on par with Weapon Focus, which isn't a very good feat. Its usefulness is quickly outlived.

Its overpowered but not amazingly so.
No way. There are a million better feats out there. Weapon Focus (and its ilk) are only useful for meeting prereqs of PrCs.

TimeWizard
2007-09-06, 03:50 PM
Eh, some battles you win, and some battles you lose. Thanks for the info.