PDA

View Full Version : Teleport vs Dimension Door

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-20, 11:04 PM
I'm curious if Teleport obsoletes Dimension Door when it becomes available.

Dimension Door Positives:
- Lower Level Spell, them 7th level slots might all be used up by the time you need to vacate
- A mean DM might decide you are unfamiliar with the area 500 feet on the other side of the wall and give Teleport some weird effect

Teleport Benefits:
- You can move the whole party
- It is useful for across the world moves, no 500 feet at a time thing. If you really want to escape the dragon is 500ft meaningful?

What do you all have to ad or correct me on.

Sigreid
2018-05-21, 12:35 PM
They each have their place. I'm not going to burn a teleport if dimension door will do the job.

solidork
2018-05-21, 01:23 PM
Dimension Door goes from good to great as soon as you can cast it twice; once to get in, once to get out.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-21, 02:32 PM
What I'm hearing is that I should take Dimension Door when I can and then maybe, maybe consider swapping to Teleport when that becomes available?

20 sessions later lol

Dyndrilliac
2018-05-21, 03:35 PM
IMHO Teleport is best used by a Diviner Wizard in an offensive manner (as opposed to retreat). Each day for a week, every 8 hours pop Scrying on the BBEG and force it to fail its Wisdom save. Doing this repeatedly and consistently over a decent length of time should bump you from "Viewed Once" to "Seen Casually" on the teleport table. Then you rally your party and ambush the BBEG by teleporting directly into his lair and attacking in force.

Otherwise, you're better served by Dimension Door as a "GTFO because fecal matter has hit the fan" spell. For more practical long-distance teleportation, the 5th level Teleportation Circle spell is what you want. Set up a permanent Teleportation Circle in your various hideouts (you are establishing guilds, creating businesses, and utilizing safe houses operated by allied factions right!?) throughout the game world.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-22, 09:32 AM
Teleportation Circle is interesting. I'm missing something obvious. Is it best used in combination with another spell for a get out of Dodge effect? T. Circle has a one minute casting time so to me it seems more like a ritual spell in use.

Dyndrilliac
2018-05-22, 06:47 PM
Teleportation Circle is interesting. I'm missing something obvious. Is it best used in combination with another spell for a get out of Dodge effect? T. Circle has a one minute casting time so to me it seems more like a ritual spell in use.

Teleportation Circle is for economical general-purpose long-distance transportation. Dimension Door is for emergencies where you urgently need to get away from something that's seconds away from laying the hurt on you. Teleport is for launching full scale surprise assaults on a BBEG lair with the whole party SEAL team six style.

bc56
2018-05-22, 10:06 PM
Teleport is used for long-range travel, while DD is for precision work over short distances.

1) teleport has a chance of being off-course or dealing damage to the traveling party, making it less feasible to jump somewhere where a small error leads to large problems. (Especially into enclosed spaces at short range, you could materialize in a wall)

2) teleport has unlimited range. As long as you're on the same plane, you can get to anywhere you've already been.

3) teleport can carry more people. DD maxes at 2, but TP can get many more (8, I think, but I didn't look it up)

4) dimension door lets you go places you haven't been. You can't teleport into a locked vault if you haven't seen the inside.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-23, 09:26 AM
In you all's experience how strict are DM's with the Dimension Door's distance? We have the fellow in each of the games I'm in who will us trig to calculate the blind spots around castles so I'm sure if that player was DM he'd make us measure the 398 feet necessary to actually get into chamber "A" and how if you jumped 413 out of it you'd be placed in the middle of that oak tree you were standing next to.

FWIW, I both like and dislike the above example. It both limits the awesome power of the spell and takes away some fun.