PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds - Maximizing Pack Tactics

Theodoxus
2018-05-21, 12:23 AM
I started a kobold rogue in an AL game, planning on going AT with it. The essentially always on advantage through pact tactics has made an archery build amazing - but since it's AL, I'm stuck with only PHB archetypes, and I have a visceral hatred towards the assassin.

Anyway, my primary question is, beyond sneak attack, what classes would maximize the pact tactic trait. I was thinking warlock, with specializing in EB, since you'd get multiple attacks, all at advantage, provided there was an ally next to any foe you were attacking. Would that be better than a single shot cantrip, like Firebolt?

A crit fishing build could be pretty interesting too - though probably not with a barbarian, given the native -2 to Str kobolds suffer. It'd be possible with rolling, but PB would max at 13... that'd be problematic. But a crit fishing champion archer would be pretty dope. Could even conceivably use a longbow, as long as pack tactics applied, as it would negate the disad - though I'd probably stick with a light crossbow (especially if grabbing XBX).

Any other fun ways to maximize pack tactics?

apepi
2018-05-21, 12:38 AM
You could go Moon Druid and your str does not matter. Or could try dex Barb, someone had a kobold Barbarian guide somewhere....

Though I like archery the best, either Ranger/Rogue/Fighter and get Sharpshooter.

CTurbo
2018-05-21, 12:40 AM
Ranger Beastmaster with Wolf Companion and Mounted Combat feat

Dex Paladin

Hexblade

Hexblade Paladin

Crgaston
2018-05-21, 12:56 AM
Longbow would be a terrible idea. The larger damage die won't make up for the loss of advantage. If you're taking XBX, go hand crossbow for the bonus attack.

And yes, EB warlock would also be good, since you could add your Cha to each shot vs not at all for most other cantrips. Also, with Warlock you could have Booming Blade on tap for when you have to melee to make sure they pay for leaving the "pack." But Warlock would actually make you MADder since you'd want both Dex for AC and Cha for damage with EB.

And since you already have SA dice, a cantrip won't add those, either. Fighter for the Archery style would have even bigger impact with advantage, then try to find some Bracers of Archery and you'll be a damage machine.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-05-21, 01:57 AM
AT is a PHB archetype, just as much as the Assassin is. Nothing prevents you from taking it, even in AL.

Quoz
2018-05-21, 06:58 AM
With only access to PUB and Volos, I would probably say a Dex based paladin. Find Steed means always having advantage, and always having advantage means more critical Smites.

Outside of those restrictions a kobold hexblade focused on the lance as a dark knight type would be a blast to play. Especially if you can find a centaur teammate to ride since that's a thing now.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-21, 08:05 AM
With only access to PUB and Volos, I would probably say a Dex based paladin. Find Steed means always having advantage, and always having advantage means more critical Smites.

Outside of those restrictions a kobold hexblade focused on the lance as a dark knight type would be a blast to play. Especially if you can find a centaur teammate to ride since that's a thing now.

Centaurs aren’t a thing in AL.

At any rate the obvious choices for kobolds are either crit fishing or Sharpshooter (since GWM is out). Hand crossbow with XBE and SS is the most synergistic use of the race with its dex bonus. So Fighter, Ranger, and/or Rogue seem the best options. Eldritch blast builds get an honorable mention despite the lack of cha boost, since you can shoot a crap ton of them with sorcerer and warlock via quicken.

I like the fighter build since it can get two ASIs by level 6 and then MC into ranger and or rogue or stay for more attacks.

Sigreid
2018-05-21, 11:02 AM
Beastmaster ranger could be interesting. Pick a wolf. Both of you always have advantage, use a short bow for range, wolf does melee fighting, stealth enhanced by pass without trace, and mounted combat to protect your wolf. I think you could be amazing.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-21, 12:09 PM
You could go Moon Druid and your str does not matter. Or could try dex Barb, someone had a kobold Barbarian guide somewhere....

Though I like archery the best, either Ranger/Rogue/Fighter and get Sharpshooter.

Haha, yeah that's me. The link is below. I agree though that this build doesn't match exactly what the OP seems to be going for. Still, it's a great crit fishing build if you focus on optimizing that. Might be worth dipping to 3 at least to get the first Wolf Totem if you decide to go melee instead of ranged.

It's funny to me how much attention Kobolds are getting on the forum right now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wOj-ca3T7q36rYkqiF9NLHn7rp-TCiqk0ewIzzFL84/edit

Theodoxus
2018-05-21, 12:27 PM
Nice guide!

One thing I'd note, provided you have a melee partner, sunlight sensitivity isn't that bad. It reduces your always on advantage to just regular attacks... A decent trade I'd take all day, every day.

I built a barbarian, but around a hill dwarf (because even more HP!!!) but I might swap it to kobold, because I really like roleplaying kobolds. "I'm a dragon, damn it. A small one... you ever see a small dragon bub? Not until today! Someday, I'll grow up to be a Dragonborn, and then, eventually, a Half-dragon, and one day, waaaay in the future, I'll be a full grown ancient wyrm. Prove me wrong, bub! Ow! ow! ok, I kid, I kid, stop hitting me, pleeeaase?!?!?"

Boverk
2018-05-21, 12:38 PM
Nice guide!

One thing I'd note, provided you have a melee partner, sunlight sensitivity isn't that bad. It reduces your always on advantage to just regular attacks... A decent trade I'd take all day, every day.

I built a barbarian, but around a hill dwarf (because even more HP!!!) but I might swap it to kobold, because I really like roleplaying kobolds. "I'm a dragon, damn it. A small one... you ever see a small dragon bub? Not until today! Someday, I'll grow up to be a Dragonborn, and then, eventually, a Half-dragon, and one day, waaaay in the future, I'll be a full grown ancient wyrm. Prove me wrong, bub! Ow! ow! ok, I kid, I kid, stop hitting me, pleeeaase?!?!?"

You could have a fun delusional party:

Conquest Paladin Kobold who swears they're a dragon, and all will cower before them
Glamour Bard Centaur who swears their bottom half is a unicorn, and you can't prove otherwise
Stout Halfling Barbarian with a fake beard who claims to be a dwarf
Goblin with a curly wig who claims to be a halfling
a druid (or warlock with disquise self invocation) who just isn't sure what they are any more

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-21, 12:48 PM

Makes me think of this!

https://78.media.tumblr.com/7628029836c81472cf818c1d201d4fd7/tumblr_nciy8deBft1rwfctbo1_1280.gif

“I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu.”

apepi
2018-05-21, 02:11 PM
Haha, yeah that's me. The link is below. I agree though that this build doesn't match exactly what the OP seems to be going for. Still, it's a great crit fishing build if you focus on optimizing that. Might be worth dipping to 3 at least to get the first Wolf Totem if you decide to go melee instead of ranged.

It's funny to me how much attention Kobolds are getting on the forum right now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wOj-ca3T7q36rYkqiF9NLHn7rp-TCiqk0ewIzzFL84/edit

I love kobolds, they might be my favorite race. They have such a iconic personality, which is very fun to play, unlike many other races.

Davrix
2018-05-21, 06:57 PM
Kobold is best kobold

I play a Paladin / Celestial warlock pact warlock that's now going full Sorc because well nothing is more humerus then watching the redemption paladin kobold walk into battle with his wooden stick and shield, cast shillelagh on it and start beating dragons down and throwing fireballs around. Oh and because of a stupid good treasure roll he's now wearing a Robe of the archmage as his armor so its a little kobold in a white robe that doesn't quite fit him, its coat tails dragging along behind as he beats people with a stick and his shield. He's basically the party mascot at this point.

Theodoxus
2018-05-22, 07:47 AM
My rogue, after one session, also became the party mascot. His name is Vim, and the DM kept pronouncing it by rhyming it with 'him'. And I'd mumble under my breath "Veem" - but only the other players could hear me (I was at the far end of the table). The firbolg druid even offered to let me stand on his back to shoot things from.

I love me some halflings, but Kobold is quickly becoming my favorite. If only I could roll one in a non-AL game so I could be a Redemption Paladin/Celestial Warlock/Divine Soul Sorcerer combination...

strangebloke
2018-05-22, 09:18 AM
Kobold is my favorite small race, mostly because they're the only one with a strength penalty.

And they don't get a Constitution bonus either.

Frocking gnomes.

nsmaniac
2019-08-04, 11:48 AM
Any other fun ways to maximize pack tactics?

There's alot of variables in 5e but I will assume your DM is allowing feats. As a Kobold, a Dex based fighter is a good idea but you can only use a Shortbow (No Heavy Weapons for Small Creatures!), so archers really aren't the best if you are attempting to optimize. Lets for example assume standard stats rolls here: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

You are going to want to stat as so:
STR: 13 (-2 for Race) = 11 (+0 Modifier)
DEX: 15 (+2 for Race) = 17 (+3 Modifier)
CON: 14 (+ 2 Modifier)
INT: 10 (+0 Modifier)
WIS: 12 (+1 Modifier)

In making your fighter you are going to want to Studder Leather Armor only - Never anything else
Grab yourself a Shortbow for ranged (You don't want to use this unless needed)
And you are going to take the Two Weapon Fighting Style - Grab yourself a rapier and a dagger (You're going to swap this out for a 2nd Rapier at Level 4 by taking the Dual Wielder feat)

At Level 1: You can output really decent damage - Obviously you need to play to your Pack Tactics mechanic so having another frontliner in the group is key here, but you do have the potential for 1d8+3 and 1d4+3 both at +5 to hit (For level 1 this means you should be hitting most of the time.)

At Level 3: Go Champion (You are going to be a Crit Monkey) You now crit at 19 for those attacks you are rolling at advantage in the dungeon :)

At Level 4: Take the Dual Wielder Feat - Ditch the dagger and grab another Rapier. Your AC is now 16 and you won't be taking anymore feats. Just dump stat DEX until MAX followed by CON

So at level 4 what kinda damage can you do? In one round of combat with action surge you can do 3 attacks , all three having the potential to CRIT at 19 , and all three possibly at advantage (assuming no direct sunlight). Even if there is direct sunlight you will just be losing advantage rather having disadvantge. Pack Tactics is OP :)

The best part is you just continue to scale from there ! I believe when you get a 2nd fighting style you want to take either:

Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
OR
Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

I personally think the additional +1 to AC is better as you only want to use your ranged option if there's literally no way for you to get into melee.

So level 10 looks like this: Your AC is now 19 because your Dex is now maxed at 20 and you are getting +1 from Dual Weilder and +1 from Defense (Plus Dex bonus)

You can attack 4x in one round with action surge, 3x thereafter all at a +9 to hit , +5 to damage, and a potential to Crit at 19.

And who knows what sorta magic items you may have by then as well ? :) Good luck!