PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on running a "reverse" D&D game

Obscuraphile
2018-05-21, 03:03 AM
So probably not a highly original idea but are there any resources out there that people are aware of for running a D&D game (my preferred edition is 3.5) from the perspective that the Players are the denizens of the dungeon and are attacked by waves of adventurers?

Whoracle
2018-05-21, 03:17 AM
Look at the 2e module aptly named "Reverse Dungeon". It had a sequel that I can't remember the name or edition of, and it shouldn't be too hard to adapt to newer editions.It's also on DriveThru. Sry, on mobile, so no links.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-05-21, 11:31 AM
It's not D&D, but "No Country for Old Kobolds" is a game about playing a village of kobolds trying to survive attacks by various kingdoms trying to exterminate them.

Obscuraphile
2018-05-21, 11:23 PM
Look at the 2e module aptly named "Reverse Dungeon". It had a sequel that I can't remember the name or edition of, and it shouldn't be too hard to adapt to newer editions.It's also on DriveThru. Sry, on mobile, so no links.

It's not D&D, but "No Country for Old Kobolds" is a game about playing a village of kobolds trying to survive attacks by various kingdoms trying to exterminate them.

Hmm, I will have to look into these.

Are there any resources for perhaps running a game where the party is made up of the citizens of a town under siege or something like that? Where they would be rather standard characters but the monsters come to them.

Pleh
2018-05-22, 04:44 AM
I forget where it is, but I know one of my players had a class or PrC that basically made them a dungeon boss and gave them supernatural control of their dungeon and their minions that occupied it.

Obscuraphile
2018-05-22, 03:26 PM
That's one hell of a PrC!

The Insanity
2018-05-23, 07:34 AM
I forget where it is, but I know one of my players had a class or PrC that basically made them a dungeon boss and gave them supernatural control of their dungeon and their minions that occupied it.
Dundeon Lord from Dungeonscape.

Jay R
2018-05-23, 08:25 AM
Flying Buffalo put out the game Monsters! Monsters on this premise in 1976. It's available in pdf form (http://www.warehouse23.com/products/monsters-monsters) today

Obscuraphile
2018-05-23, 03:40 PM
Interesting, although I get the feeling from the description that Monsters! Monsters! is a bit comical for my tastes. Fun as a diversion with friends but unsuitable for an extended campaign.