PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help With Multiclassing a Character

DoctorSputin
2018-05-21, 08:38 AM
So, I'm starting a new campaign soon, in which I'm playing a half elf (+2 Cha, +1 Dex, +1 Wis) Rogue Swashbuckler/Hexblade Bladelock wielding knives, a rapier, and a Flintlock pistol. However, I can't decide how many levels of each class to take. I started out with 15 of rogue and 5 of warlock, but thinking about it further I'm simply not sure. Thematically, really any way would work. My only issue is that I don't want his warlock aspects to overpower his melee swordplay and the kind of finesse he has in combat. If I were to take more warlock levels, a lot of the spells would focus more on buffing himself and some control and debuffs, focusing more on his own personal combat, since his out of combat utility comes with his very high charisma and dexterity and proficencies in both of those skills. His personality is kind of that piratey overconfidence and suaveness. Imagine Will Turnerfrom Pirates of the Caribbean combined with Wesley from The Princess Bride. His Ability Scores are these:

Str - 12
Dex - 18
Con - 13
Int - 13
Wis - 16
Cha - 20

The spells I'm taking (levels 1-3 and cantrips) are Lightning Lure (adds some cool combat control and flavor), minor illusion, and friends for cantrips. For Level 1, I'm taking Hex and Hellish Rebuke. For level 2, I'm taking Suggestion and Mirror Image. Finally, for Level 3 spells, I'm taking Blink and Hunger of Hadar. These are optimized for some outside of combat utility (possible infiltration with Blink for teleportation through walls and Suggestion, even Hex if I want to debuff outside combat) and some in combat utility (Mirror Image and Blink for defense, and Hunger of Hadar for crowd control).

So, in summary, I'm wondering what levels in each class I should take in order to focus mostly on physical combat with his rapier and pistol by supplementing it with defensive features, and add outside of combat utility with spells that allow for manipulation and some minor deception. Also, just as a by the way, the campaign will have heavy story to it along with combat, so RP and outside of combat utility is pretty important. Thanks!