PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wood elf forge domain cleric stat focus

Arc-Royal
2018-05-21, 08:58 AM
What stat would you recommend as a primary focus for a forge domain cleric? I'm building a backup character in case my current character dies (at the moment, she'd start at level 9--one level behind my current character--if I had to bring her off the bench).

The basic info:

Rolled stats (base): 16/14/13/13/13/7
Wood elf
Forge domain
Forge Domain seems to lend itself toward a physical stat (STR or DEX) because it has Divine Strike, but I'm not sure how much WIS I can sacrifice and still be effective with my spells. I haven't played a cleric yet in 5e.

For starting stats, I was leaning toward
STR 16 / DEX 15 / CON 14 / INT 13 / WIS 14 / CHA 7
after racial modifiers with ASI #1 being used for +1 DEX/+1 CHA (nature abhors a vacuum bunch of stats with odd values) and ASI #2 being used for Warcaster (mostly for advantage on CON saves to maintain concentration, although given my DM's love for ridiculously high AC on enemies, being able to cast a cantrip that targets a save might be beneficial).

Does anyone have any input on what stat(s) to focus after that? DEX doesn't seem like it'd be a good focus since I'm already past the maximum DEX mod for medium armor and some of the Forge Domain cleric's features require wearing heavy armor (Soul of the Forge and Saint of Forge and Fire), so I'll be switching to heavy armor as soon as possible anyway (had to buy equipment, so heavy armor was too expensive). Concentration limit seems to be the big problem I run into with spell selection, so I'm not in a rush to pump WIS for more spells prepared, but WIS also keys into DCs. Divine Strike is pulling me toward STR, but CON is also good to have.

I'm torn and don't really know where to go from here.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-21, 09:12 AM
You are absolutely right about dex being a poor idea for a forge domain cleric. With that in mind “optimal” would mean being a different race as that +2 dex is wasted. If you are attached to the race, that’s fine though as you rolled well enough stats that you won’t suffer.

Best advice for a cleric is usually don’t get caught up in boosting str, focus on wisdom. Your melee attacks might be as good as a fighters for the first few levels, but once he gets extra attack it’s hard to compete. Keep in mind though that you need at least a 15 str for the best heavy armor to not slow you down.

Arc-Royal
2018-05-21, 09:21 AM
You are absolutely right about dex being a poor idea for a forge domain cleric. With that in mind “optimal” would mean being a different race as that +2 dex is wasted. If you are attached to the race, that’s fine though as you rolled well enough stats that you won’t suffer.

Best advice for a cleric is usually don’t get caught up in boosting str, focus on wisdom. Your melee attacks might be as good as a fighters for the first few levels, but once he gets extra attack it’s hard to compete. Keep in mind though that you need at least a 15 str for the best heavy armor to not slow you down.

I have fluff reasons for going wood elf based on where the party is headed in the campaign, as well as some mechanical ones (+1 WIS, darkvision, weapon proficiencies). If it helps at all, the party currently consists of a barbarian, paladin, monk/sorcerer, gunslinger, witch, rogue/monk, and...I have no idea what the last one is, other than at least one level in rogue.

The 15 STR is already taken care of by tossing the 16 into STR. So you'd suggest just leaving her STR at 16 and pumping WIS?

GooeyChewie
2018-05-21, 09:25 AM
Clerics are casters first and Melee combatants second (opposite of Paladins in that regard). Different domains might be better or worse at Melee, but Forge Domain doesn’t even get access to martial weapons. You can Divine Strike opponent’s in a pinch, but in the long run you’ll do better spells. I would recommend putting your Wisdom highest. I’d go something like this:

Str 13
Dex 13+2=15
Con 14
Wis 16+1=17

The Int and Cha aren’t useful for you class. Overall Cha tends to be more useful, but I’d really base those two on how you want to present the character.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-21, 09:27 AM
I have fluff reasons for going wood elf based on where the party is headed in the campaign, as well as some mechanical ones (+1 WIS, darkvision, weapon proficiencies). If it helps at all, the party currently consists of a barbarian, paladin, monk/sorcerer, gunslinger, witch, rogue/monk, and...I have no idea what the last one is, other than at least one level in rogue.

The 15 STR is already taken care of by tossing the 16 into STR. So you'd suggest just leaving her STR at 16 and pumping WIS?

That would be better in the long run. Since you are already level 9 you can boost wisdom and one point in con to end up with a 16 str, 14 con, and 18 wisdom. Your primary damaging spells are Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon, leaving you to attack as an action.

Casting spiritual weapon as a 4th level spell does 2d8+wis every round and you can attack with it as a bonus action. Your attack will do 2d8+str. But wisdom wins out when you factor in the spell DC for your spirit guardians (and other spells), the bonus to healing spells you might toss, the number of spells you can prepare, etc.

Crgaston
2018-05-21, 09:40 AM
Are those stats set in stone, order wise?

You could start with 14/9/13/13/17/13 and take Con/Wis for one ASI and warcaster for the other and stick with chain mail until you take HAM at 12 to get access to full plate and DR3.

As a higher level cleric you’ll probably be relying more on spells than melee and you want your DC as high as possible.

Boverk
2018-05-21, 09:52 AM
I believe that the only penalty for not meeting the strength requirements for armor is only - 10 speed, right? So if you don't mind being at dwarf speed, you could ignore strength, and use finesse and ranged weapons, since you have the longbow proficiency.

Arc-Royal
2018-05-21, 10:01 AM
Clerics are casters first and Melee combatants second (opposite of Paladins in that regard). Different domains might be better or worse at Melee, but Forge Domain doesn’t even get access to martial weapons. You can Divine Strike opponent’s in a pinch, but in the long run you’ll do better spells. I would recommend putting your Wisdom highest. I’d go something like this:

Str 13
Dex 13+2=15
Con 14
Wis 16+1=17

The Int and Cha aren’t useful for you class. Overall Cha tends to be more useful, but I’d really base those two on how you want to present the character.
I dumped CHA because I envision her as being a bit on the sweaty and gruff side from working a forge and obsessive with perfecting her work over perfecting her people skills (sort of the grumpy dwarf stereotype in an elvish wrapper, which amuses me and seems like it'd help her stick out as a character).

Are those stats set in stone, order wise?
No, they're not set in stone. I just put them in descending order. Like I said, I haven't played a cleric in 5e, so I didn't know whether they're a melee-smacky healbot or what (although I suppose that depends on the domain).