PDA

View Full Version : When a character becomes a magic mini-mart

ZorroGames
2018-05-21, 09:57 AM
The 5th level GWF Earth Genasi was supposed to be a short experiment. Normally in OD&D days I would retire him but he seems to be a magnet for magic items and has been a source of trades on the FB trades page. 😳🤭

Current inventory is:

Weapons:
Unique +1,+2 versus plants (Beware Evil Shrubbery 🙄) that would be no loss if he retires since it cannot be traded.
+1 Battleaxe. Waiting for more downtime days to trade this to one of my other characters.

Armor:
Mariner’s Plate if he retires he needs more downtime days to trade this to yet another character of mine.
+1 Chainmail waiting more downtime days so I can trade it to yet again another of my characters.

Bottom Line - He is not a bad character to play, he just developed a “life of his own” as the experiment ran. I begin to understand what writers mean about characters that change their story...

My question to you - my quandary is should I retire him to the archives, set him up as a “merchant in magic” (semi-retire except for mining downtime days and other assets from my DM activities,) or play him just to earn downtime days to trade his stuff off?

Gracias in advance.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-22, 09:36 AM
There is something I'm missing here since I don't do AL I think.

Simply I'd say if u like playing the character go ahead. It sounds likt you don't but the fella works well for you and always seems to be in the loot. Any modifications to his personality or build to keep a similar character who would appriach investigation the same way?

Unoriginal
2018-05-22, 10:41 AM
I thought you could only trade magic items for other magic items, in AL.

So you'd end up losing magic items anyway, no?

ZorroGames
2018-05-22, 10:55 AM
I thought you could only trade magic items for other magic items, in AL.

So you'd end up losing magic items anyway, no?

The thing is that he had items that my Other characters could trade for but he lacks downtime days so he needs downtime days. I can apply my DM rewards to him and put him on ice with items my current characters use/value less or I can adventure with him to earn downtime days or I can bag all the that neat stuff.

Of course in 5e AL a player is only retired permanently if they die and cannot be recovered.

ZorroGames
2018-05-22, 10:58 AM
There is something I'm missing here since I don't do AL I think.

Simply I'd say if u like playing the character go ahead. It sounds likt you don't but the fella works well for you and always seems to be in the loot. Any modifications to his personality or build to keep a similar character who would appriach investigation the same way?

He is okay and an adequate Battle Master in a gaming world locally full of squishies. It is the downtime days to assist by trades my other characters that also could use the DM rewards. Resource management choices.

LordEntrails
2018-05-22, 11:14 AM
Does it add fun to your game playing him? Sure you can keep playing him so that you can trade his items away, but if instead you played those other characters, they would be earning their own magic items...

So really, does it matter long-term? Not in my view, therefore play the character(s) you enjoy playing the most or need for party diversity or level.

ZorroGames
2018-05-22, 01:05 PM
Does it add fun to your game playing him? Sure you can keep playing him so that you can trade his items away, but if instead you played those other characters, they would be earning their own magic items...

So really, does it matter long-term? Not in my view, therefore play the character(s) you enjoy playing the most or need for party diversity or level.

That may be why he saw so much play through Tier 1 - “We really need a fighter...”