PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class E6 TIII Base Class: Wanderer

Ursus Spelaeus
2018-05-21, 10:17 AM
This class has a couple of very unusual gimmicks.
I started with the idea of an E6 class (aimed at tier 3) that features a full-and-a-half base attack bonus and built around it. I decided that the class needed some kind of special movement (such as pounce, or travel devotion) so that it could fully take advantage of its full attacks, so I gave it a variation on Travel Devotion that scales with class level and CON.
I also decided that if the class would be focused around making multiple attacks per round, then it would want some kind of precision-based damage. I thought about giving it the Scout's Skirmish ability, but I opted for something a little more novel; the Eight Winds ability asks you to pay attention to cardinal directions on the map. This feature promotes an unusual play style where you want to either be surrounded by groups of enemies, or move in circles around a powerful enemy.
To support these features, the class gets an enhancement to speed at 2nd level, and a way around precision-damage immunity for certain enemies. The class gets Power Attack as a bonus feat as soon as it reaches +6/+1 BAB. I capped it off with Freedom of Movement at 6th level.
The class gets out-of-combat utility in the form of a scouting-oriented skill-list. It gets Knowledge (Any) so you can make monster knowledge checks against monsters you have enmity against.

I feel like this class could be more tightly focuses, so please let me know what I should cut or consolidate. Thanks.

With that, I give you:

Wanderer

Class Skills:
The Wanderer's class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal, Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int mod

Hit Die: d8

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+1+0+2+0Eight Winds +1d6, Travel
2nd+3+0+3+0Speed +10’
3rd+4+1+3+1Eight Winds +2d6, Enmity
4th+6/+1+1+4+1Power Attack
5th+7/+2+2+4+2Eight Winds +3d6, Enmity
6th+9/+4+2+5+2Freedom of Movement

Class Features: The following are the class features of the Wanderer.

Proficiency You are proficient with simple and martial weapons, and with shields and light armor.

Eight Winds +1d6 (Ex) When you attack an enemy oriented in one of the eight directions from you (North, North-East, East, South-East, South, South-West, West, and North West) you deal +1d6 precision-based damage on a hit. You can use this ability only once per day for each of the eight directions unless you take a full-round action to regain all uses of this ability.
The damage increases to +2d6 at 3rd level, and to +3d6 at 5th level.

Travel (Ex) You can move up to your speed as a swift action. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wanderer class level plus your Constitution bonus.

Speed +10’ Starting at 2nd level, you gain a +10 feet enhancement to your movement rate.

Enmity (Ex) At 3rd level, choose one type (or subtype) of enemy that is not subject to precision-based damage. These types include: Construct, Undead, Ooze, Plant, Swarm, and Incorporeal. Your attacks can now deal half of their precision-based damage to enemies of the chosen type or subtype.
Starting at 5th level, your attacks deal their full precision-based damage to these enemies instead.

Power Attack (Ex) You gain Power Attack as a bonus feat at 4th level. If you already have Power Attack, you can take any other feat as a bonus feat as long as you meet its requirements.

Freedom of Movement (Ex) Starting at 6th level, you can always attack and move normally even when under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement.

New feats:

Windswept Dodge
Requirement: Eight Winds class feature
You may expend a use of your Eight Wind's ability as a free action at the beginning of your turn in order to gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against all attacks from that direction for one round.
You may count this feat as though it were the Dodge feat for purposes of meeting requirements of feats and prestige classes that require it.

Windswept Cleave
Requirement: Power Attack, Cleave, Eight Winds class feature
When you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop, you can take a 5 foot step and regain one use of your Eight Wind's ability in the dropped creature's direction.

Improved Travel
Requirement: Travel class feature
You gain three additional uses of the Travel class feature per day.

Hardy Traveler
Requirement: Travel class feature
You may spend a use of your Travel ability as a swift action to heal a number of hit points equal to your character level plus your Constitution bonus.

Footwork
Requirement: Dexterity 15, BAB 6+
You can take a 5 foot step as part of each attack made as part of a full attack. For example, if you would make three attacks as part of a full attack action, then you can take a total of three five foot steps as part of that action.