PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sorcerer Hexblade Can Kill The Whole Party!

NitroMouthpiece
2018-05-21, 04:51 PM
Hex blade 2/ Stone Sorcerer 6

So I played a short campaign not that long ago with the intention of playing a sort of jedi so i thought it would be cool to play the Hexblade, but i hate having little spell slots so I took a look at sorcerer only to discover Stone Sorcerer is THE perfect match so here is the run down.

Human Variant

Cha 20
Con 18
Dex 13
Str 9
Wis 8
Int 12
(rolled for stats)

My average attack turn went something like this
Long sword 1d8
Booming blade 1d8
Searing Smite lv 4, 4d6s

Then I would twine booming blade for
8d6s and 4d8s +5 total for 8 rounds

and it overcomes resistance

That tops out at 85 dmg per round not only that you can use darkness and devils sight combo for you being the only one who can see and take repelling blast to in case someone gets to close. Not to mention other spells in the arsenal or the 19 in ac with a shield and war caster feat

All in all it could DECIMATE enemies and my DM killed me off because Holy Crap.

JeffreyGator
2018-05-21, 04:59 PM
Doesn't twin require multiple opponents?

Why does the searing smite get doubled?

Theodoxus
2018-05-21, 05:15 PM
So your DM allowed for UA stuff that's not official and then killed you for using UA stuff that broke the game?

I'd allow it, but I know how to challenge powerful characters in a fun and meaningful way without resorting to 'rocks fall'.

Your DM should stick to core only - or accept that broken classes synergize with other classes in unexpected ways and leave little to either entice or confront said character.

Errata
2018-05-21, 05:16 PM
Why do you have a 4th level spell slot at that level? Warlock has a different spell progression system which doesn't stack with normal casters. You have 3 level 3 spell slots from level 6 Sorcerer, plus some level 1 slots from Warlock.

Searing smite only applies to one hit, regardless of how many attacks you get, so it isn't doubled.

Are you just assuming that you hit 100% of the time, and if so why? You haven't mentioned anything about your build that would give you an exceptional chance to always hit. You can twin booming blade for a second attack, but that's just two chances to miss.

You need 2 separate opponents both standing in range of the booming blade, since twin spell doesn't do the same target twice. That can be hard to set up, and easy to defend against after the first round where enemies see you do it.

You can twin a cantrip 6 times per day, not 8. But you don't have 6 max level spell slots, so they won't all be equally good.

So you go all out using up your resources and decimate one encounter. Then what? You should have multiple other encounters throughout a typical adventuring day. Any spell caster who uses all their resources in a single fight can dominate it, but then they're relatively useless in all the other fights. If you only ever have 1 fight per day, then having a long rest between each encounter greatly advantages spellcasters over other classes. Yes it's unbalanced, but the fault is not with the class but with the DM who isn't structuring their campaign in line with the way the game is balanced.

Your character would have better burst damage than an ordinary fighter, as is normal for a caster, but much worse staying power. You can attack twice for basically one fight, while a fighter or barbarian at that level can attack 2 or often 3 times, all day long.

It sounds like you had to violate a lot of rules even to get a short burst of damage.

suplee215
2018-05-21, 05:20 PM
And this is why I never allow UA to be multiclass.

Errata
2018-05-21, 05:25 PM
And this is why I never allow UA to be multiclass.

Stone Sorcerer's constitution to AC does have some strong multiclassing synergy, so I can see disallowing it, but it's not nearly as strong as the OP suggest if you actually follow the rules of the game while playing it.

jaappleton
2018-05-21, 05:30 PM
I believe only the extra damage from Searing Smite gets an additional 1d6.

Not the initial damage.

Contrast
2018-05-21, 05:44 PM
As others have said you don't have level 4 slots.

So that's 2d8+3d6 (plus a potential additional 2d8 if you twin).

Or an average of 19.5 or 28.5. And you're burning 3rd level spell slots and sorcery points to do so - even if a fireball only hits two people and they both pass the save you're doing the same damage and saving yourself the sorc points.

Meanwhile a bog standard rogue is sneak attacking for 17.5 damage at no resource cost. A fighter is GWMing for 34 or Sharpshootering for 29 at no resource cost. These also don't require you to be in combat with two people to pull off.

The build is good (great even given your insane stat rolls and the dubious balance of stone sorc) but you've chosen to brag about the least impressive part of it :smalltongue:

Malifice
2018-05-21, 08:49 PM
Hex blade 2/ Stone Sorcerer 6

So I played a short campaign not that long ago with the intention of playing a sort of jedi so i thought it would be cool to play the Hexblade, but i hate having little spell slots so I took a look at sorcerer only to discover Stone Sorcerer is THE perfect match so here is the run down.

Human Variant

Cha 20
Con 18
Dex 13
Str 9
Wis 8
Int 12
(rolled for stats)

My average attack turn went something like this
Long sword 1d8
Booming blade 1d8
Searing Smite lv 4, 4d6s

Then I would twine booming blade for
8d6s and 4d8s +5 total for 8 rounds

and it overcomes resistance

That tops out at 85 dmg per round not only that you can use darkness and devils sight combo for you being the only one who can see and take repelling blast to in case someone gets to close. Not to mention other spells in the arsenal or the 19 in ac with a shield and war caster feat

All in all it could DECIMATE enemies and my DM killed me off because Holy Crap.

Searing smite only works with one attack. You're doubling it for some reason. It also doesn't stack with Darkness (both spells are concentration).

At 8th level you're toe to toe in melee with a GWM Fighter (BM) 3 /Barbarian (Frenzy) 5.

Want to have a look at the damage that guy spits out with a similar nova strike? It tops out at 8d6+4d8+68. For the benefit of the doubt I'm assuming he rages on turn 1 (meaning he cant also make use of his Frenzy bonus action attack for his nova strike)

His at will damage is also much (much) higher than you as well.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-21, 09:12 PM
<Creates account to brag about OP build>

<Tears apart build>

Welcome to the forums, Nitro.

samcifer
2018-05-22, 10:27 AM
I still like the concept of this build. With Toughness and a +3 CON mod you can get 10 hp per each level gained, which makes for a rather durable melee character imo.

Consensus
2018-05-22, 10:33 AM
lmao from the title I thought this would be another build of the nameless king

Armored Walrus
2018-05-22, 11:18 AM
Nah, it's not in all caps.

GlenSmash!
2018-05-22, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forums, Nitro.

We're helpful like that! :smallsmile:

lmao from the title I thought this would be another build of the nameless king
I thought the same thing.