PDA

View Full Version : 40k eBook Help

Celticbear
2018-05-21, 08:32 PM
So, I'm starting to get back into 40k tabletop, and decided to get eBooks instead of hardcovers cause they're cheaper. I've used all my normal ePub reader stuff, though all of the pages are all scratched up and warbled. Any suggestions on ePub readers that can read 40k Codexes? Codicies? Codi?

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-05-21, 10:54 PM
The official ones are in ePub3 format, however they are pretty crisp and clear in anything that won't return an invalid file error, which just flat out won't render at all. The fact that you are getting bad copy typically indicates something that was not obtained directly from GW.

If you haven't, you need to go to the legitimate online vendor (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=2562756967+2768981021&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_ US_gw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+ %3C%3D+1526935980000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+15 26935980000%5D&Ns=sku.price%7C0) to obtain your material. Anything else is... probably not legitimate, and shouldn't be trusted.

DaedalusMkV
2018-05-22, 02:39 AM
The official ones are in ePub3 format, however they are pretty crisp and clear in anything that won't return an invalid file error, which just flat out won't render at all. The fact that you are getting bad copy typically indicates something that was not obtained directly from GW.

If you haven't, you need to go to the legitimate online vendor (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=2562756967+2768981021&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_ US_gw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+ %3C%3D+1526935980000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+15 26935980000%5D&Ns=sku.price%7C0) to obtain your material. Anything else is... probably not legitimate, and shouldn't be trusted.

Much as it's usually the case, GW's ePub format books tend to be... Really freaking wonky. Standard issue ePub File Reader displays them as a garbled mess more often than not, and I can confirm that this is the case with the official versions downloaded straight from the Black Library site. I swear they really just don't care about making the non-iPad version readable on most devices.

To the OP, unfortunately I haven't found a free file reader that displays the ePub codexes perfectly. Aldiko does better than everything else I've tried, but any time you get big fonts the whole thing falls apart, and a lot of the text boxes are pretty messed up with serious spacing issues, but the actual rules you need to play the game are readable enough to get the job done. That said, if you don't have both an iPad and a willingness to shell out for the Enhanced Edition books I really recommend sticking to paper copies of your 40k books. Your opponents won't appreciate the terrible job GW does with their ePubs any better than you have so far.

Celticbear
2018-05-22, 08:58 AM
Much as it's usually the case, GW's ePub format books tend to be... Really freaking wonky. Standard issue ePub File Reader displays them as a garbled mess more often than not, and I can confirm that this is the case with the official versions downloaded straight from the Black Library site. I swear they really just don't care about making the non-iPad version readable on most devices.

To the OP, unfortunately I haven't found a free file reader that displays the ePub codexes perfectly. Aldiko does better than everything else I've tried, but any time you get big fonts the whole thing falls apart, and a lot of the text boxes are pretty messed up with serious spacing issues, but the actual rules you need to play the game are readable enough to get the job done. That said, if you don't have both an iPad and a willingness to shell out for the Enhanced Edition books I really recommend sticking to paper copies of your 40k books. Your opponents won't appreciate the terrible job GW does with their ePubs any better than you have so far.

Thanks, I am pretty sure I have a Kindle somewhere in my house, and I forgot to try it on that. I did get it off black library, so it is legit.

All else fails I'll give citadel another 40 bucks for a hardcover.

LansXero
2018-05-22, 01:17 PM
So legitimate, paid for ebook versions sometimes work worse than pirated scanned .pdfs? thats some awful quality control there.