PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Wand Chamber Alternative

Gale
2018-05-22, 08:43 AM
I asked my DM if it was possible for me to put a wand chamber in my character's lance, but he declined as this campaign is strictly core only; we only have access to the DMG, Monster Manual 1, PHB, and PHB II.

I was wondering if there was some alternative solution within core that would allow me to get the same effect as having a wand chamber. I need a means of utilizing my character's wand while her hands are currently preoccupied with a two-handed weapon. The wand needs to be accessible every turn if possible.

Darrin
2018-05-22, 09:47 AM
Hmm. Core + PHBII.

Best I can come up with is Quick Draw. As per PHB p. 142, wands are considered "weapon-like" objects:

"Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands."

The Quick Draw feat makes it a free action. Changing your grip or taking a hand off a two-handed weapon is typically considered to be a free action. (If it isn't, then drawing arrows out of a quiver wouldn't work.) So:

1) Free action to take your hand off the lance.
2) Free action to draw a wand.
3) Cast your spell from the wand, which is likely a swift or standard action.
4) Free action to drop the wand on the ground.
5) Free action to regrip your lance.

If you have an unseen servant or familiar handy, then you can have them pick up your dropped wands.

Speaking of familiars... if your familiar can speak (such as the raven), have your raven carry around a wand and activate it.

If you have access to the MIC, a Least Crystal of Return costs 300 GP and can be attached to a wand to give you the equivalent of Quick Draw for that weapon.

So... possibly another way to get access to wand chambers. Dropping wands obviously isn't so optimal. So ask your DM if you can attach it to a cord tied around your wrist, belt, bracer, etc. Most DM's knee-jerk reaction to this is to create some rules for this, maybe with a chance that the cord will break, get tangled, and so forth. You will naturally respond with some mechanical improvement to avoid any negative consequences. For example, "Ok, I want to design a bracer with a cord that's spring-loaded so it will automatically retract when I'm done with it." There will be a bunch of back-and-forth over how to design the clockwork mechanism, maybe a check or a table if the bracer gets broken. There may be a sidequest to find a clockmaker or to hunt down some obscure materials. You will propose another fix to improve the mechanism. The DM will come up with some other mechanical disadvantage, and this cycle will go back and forth. While you're burning up game time arguing about coil springs versus spindle springs, shopping around for various materials or artisans, plot has completely ground down to a halt. DM is cranky because he can't get to his story, players are bored and looking at their phones, nothing interesting is happening except you keep droning on about this stupid clockwork wand bracer thing. After several weeks of arguing about this, you could say: "You know, this would all be a lot simpler if you just let me spend 100 GP on a wand chamber."