PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help with Mechanus

Lupine
2018-05-22, 09:51 AM
(First post, please forgive if I mess up community formatting.)

I am running a campaign for a lv7 rogue, lv7 monk, lv6 cleric, and lv6 bard, who are about to explore the tomb of a warrior that is also a temple. The place has a bunch of mechanics and clockwork (powered by mechanus. Theres a planetary gate), and I'm stumped on ideas for clockwork themed ideas and encounters. Can I get some aid with ideas?
Undead are also welcome, though they would be fighting against the mechanics. There is also an item that the players are searching for, and some fire cultists (invaders in the temple) who oppose them.
Its a holy item, and already is on a pedestal. For that one, I only terrain, because the item is the interesting thing in the encounter (it zaps people who get too close...)

Thanks in advance

Unoriginal
2018-05-22, 10:45 AM
Are the PCs allowed to be in this temple?

If not, modrons. Lots of them.

Mechanus is not a plane of imagination, representing (most of) its inhabitants' creative sterility is important.

Mr_Fixler
2018-05-22, 01:57 PM
How about a medium sized room with huge gears in front of the doorways. One of the teeth on the gears is missing so when that section is at the lowermost point, it would allow access through the doorway. PCs would need to wait for the alignment.
Time and gears really jive with Mechanus.

And of course you put something really dangerous in the room during the countdown. "7 rounds left until the doorway is open."

Grear Bylls
2018-05-22, 02:32 PM
Mordys time has some good construct minion things. Check it out, I say

Lupine
2018-05-22, 05:47 PM
Are the PCs allowed to be in this temple?

Not exactly, but they aren't forbidden either. the location of the temple place is, or was, rather unknown, and hidden underneath an asylum. The staff knew of it, but due to the culstist invaders, no longer maintain control of it. The whole area is kept under secrecy, becuase the tomb is the resting place of a holy religeous figure, and also houses a very dangerous item. The PCs have gained entry from one of the staff, if they agree to take out the cult (The murder hobo PCs then killed the staff member, and intend to take the item to try to stop a disastor.)

Naanomi
2018-05-22, 06:09 PM
Mathematical puzzles; powerful constructs that are easy to outsmart because they have limited ‘programming’; complex fights where combatants are forcefully moved because they are standing on giant moving gears

Cespenar
2018-05-23, 04:14 AM
A classic would be a chess-based encounter, maybe with some very heavy hitting opponents which can only attack like their respective chess pieces would do.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-23, 05:44 AM
If they're in to fight an occupying cult, Modrons would help them.
WOULD.
Then they killed that staff member.
So...
Modrons. ALL the Modrons.