PDA

View Full Version : looking for non-held weapons.

death390
2018-05-22, 11:22 AM
So i just came to the realization that the ubercharger fighter can be broken even further, after leap attack and shock trooper what is to say we can't get TWF in on the action. more iteratives = more damage. if the weapon is considered 1H its even better because PA affects it.

Armor spikes (light weapon) 1d6 PHB
Tail Blade/club (1H [Tail?]) 1d8 Savage Species

Complete scoundrel hidden blades only take -2 when using the blade + any other modifiers.
Boot Blade = Dagger = Light weapon d4
elbow blade = punching dagger = light weapon d4
Knee Blade = short sword = light weapon d6
Sleeve Blade = dagger = light weapon d4

am i missing any other oddball weapons that can be used without hands and that can be used with TWF?

Necroticplague
2018-05-22, 11:36 AM
Using these things in an Ubercharger build runs into the more-than-slight problem that they're all light weapons, and thus don't get PA damage with them.

However, to add the the list:
Armor Razors.
Braid Blades.
Gauntlets
Spiked Gauntlets.
Poison Rings.

Bronk
2018-05-22, 12:25 PM
Mouthpick weapons from Lords of Madness...

You can also make all your natural weapon attacks during your full attack on top of all that (except for unarmed strike).

Darrin
2018-05-22, 12:29 PM
am i missing any other oddball weapons that can be used without hands and that can be used with TWF?

Improved Unarmed Strike probably works best with TWF. It's a light weapon, but works with PA explicitly. If you can't spare the feat, there are three magic items that grant IUS: Bracers of Striking (1310 GP, Magic of Faerun), Ring of Might (4000 GP, Magic of Faerun), or Fanged Ring (10000 GP, Dragon Magic). Or, even cheaper... just use a gauntlet, which still counts as an unarmed attack. In theory, you can change your grip on your two-handed weapon as a free action, so change to a one-handed grip to make a gauntlet attack, then re-grip as a free action.

There are a couple other odd corner cases where you can use a natural weapon as if it were a manufactured weapon... Spiker (Planar Handbook), Osteomancer (Dragon Compendium), maybe Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron), and sometimes shifter claws (Eberron/MMIII).

Most other non-held weapons are considered light weapons. Braid Blade (from Dungeon #...?), I think that was light? The elbow/knee/boot blade stuff from Complete Scoundrel are all light, and carry a -2 attack penalty to boot (pun intended).

Dwarven Buckler-Axe might be good. It doesn't specify if it's a light or one-handed weapon, and it doesn't say if you need an arm free to attack with it... so it might be possible to convince the DM that you can swing a two-handed weapon with both arms and still get a buckler-axe attack as an offhand weapon?

Dragonborn of Bahamut can add Dragon Tail. Add Prehensile Tail and Oversized TWF to wield a one-handed weapon with your tail.

Agile Shield Fighter (PHBII) is interesting, as it *replaces* the TWF penalties with -2 primary/-2 offhand. This allows you to use a heavy shield as your offhand weapon with minimal penalties. It counts as a one-handed weapon, so you can PA with it. If you can convince your DM that Agile Shield Fighter replaces the penalties from Improved TWF and Greater TWF... you could make *all* your primary and offhand attacks with only a -2 penalty. (Good luck with that.)

Exotic Weapon Master's "Uncanny Blow" can be interpreted as giving two-handed damage multipliers with one-handed exotic weapons. You'll want to discuss how exactly you want to parse that ability with the DM.

If you really want to get some books thrown at your head... Totemist 2 to get four arms, grip a pair of javelins two-handed (or four javelins one-handed), and use Tormtor School (Drow of the Underdark) to ignore all attack penalties on your melee javelin attacks. Crank up PA to the max, throw in Combat Expertise/Improved Combat Expertise, and maybe Stone Power for giggles: two-handed PA multipliers, extra offhand attacks, and all your attacks are at full BAB with no penalties.

DarkSoul
2018-05-22, 12:33 PM
Revenant Blade 5 from Eberron treats both ends of a Valenar double scimitar as 2h weapons. If you're going to TWF an ubercharger you should probably start (or finish) there.

schreier
2018-05-23, 08:44 AM
What about a Totemist, with all the extra natural weapons? Would they work? Possibly with some Bloodclaw Master thrown in (for Claws of the beast)?

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-23, 09:07 AM
Did stumpknives ever get reprinted?

I love those things!

Ashtagon
2018-05-23, 10:53 AM
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/33949/how-exactly-do-multiple-attacks-work-in-3-5

Based on the above link, I'd say that you don't get more than one offhand attack just because you have more than one offhand weapon available.

Ellrin
2018-05-23, 11:02 AM
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/33949/how-exactly-do-multiple-attacks-work-in-3-5

Based on the above link, I'd say that you don't get more than one offhand attack just because you have more than one offhand weapon available.

While I'm fairly sure this is true, I believe the point of this thread is to enumerate the possibilities of an offhand weapon that don't make use of an actual hand, so that a two-handed weapon can be used in conjunction with the TWF feats, rather than to arm every possible inch of our theoretical ubercharger and then fling him on the enemy and see what hits.

Though now I kind of want to see a build for that.

The Viscount
2018-05-24, 12:57 PM
Races of the wild has the Foot Spikes, though you need to fly for optimum use.

Falontani
2018-05-24, 01:33 PM
I remember this one crazed player of mine. He chose the D'vati race because "it had more than 2 arms" and thus qualified for multiweapon fighting. He took multiweapon fighting and then used 2 shortswords, 2 boot blades, 2 knee blades, 2 sleeve blades, 2 elbow blades, armor spikes, and a horned helmet. On each D'vati. They would set up flanking and just do this spinning attack thing. Normally this wouldn't deal all that much damage, its that they took a series of feats/classes that allowed them to cause everyone within 30 ft to start running after seeing these guys fight due to fear.

Thurbane
2018-05-24, 03:26 PM
The Dancing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#dancing) and Flying (MoF) weapon enhancements can make any melee weapon "non-held", by technical definition, but not in the manner that OP was looking for (Dancing only for 4 rounds at a time).

darkdragoon
2018-05-24, 04:30 PM
Horned Helm is probably the best option.

Thurbane
2018-05-24, 04:57 PM
I've always meant to make an evil, intelligent Horned Helm that tries to control it's wearer.

https://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-Horned-Helmet-James-Silke/dp/0812538234

...although to be honest, Fiendhelm would probably be a better fit.

mabriss lethe
2018-05-24, 05:05 PM
You can always use an over sized light weapon as a One Hander to get access to power attack. Though there's a penalty unless you are a member of the Bloodbound gladiator organization from Eberron.