PDA

View Full Version : Size Change Stacks in Pathfinder

erasedisknow
2018-05-22, 12:09 PM
So, I've been considering making an Alchemist who focuses primarily on size manipulation abilities for a while, but there's one thing I haven't really been able to find a good ruling on.
Said thing is whether an Enlarge Person extract would stack with the size increase from taking the Growth Mutagen from the Master Chymist's Advanced Mutations, resulting in a Huge character, or if they wouldn't overlap at all, due to being the same type of effect.

In addition, if I used a permanence effect (like Eternal Potion) to make an enlarge person on my character Permanent, whether that size increase would carry over to the Mutated form of the Master Chymist.

Segev
2018-05-22, 01:32 PM
Enlarge person does expressly state that it doesn't stack with other size-altering effects. However, if you could find a way to make it do so, it being permanent would mean it's on you no matter what form you took. As long as you were a valid target for it, it would apply its effects.

Psyren
2018-05-22, 01:49 PM
1) Paizo have ruled (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t5u) that you can stack one real size change + one effective size change, regardless of source, and that's it. Growth Mutagen and Enlarge Person are both real size changes and thus don't stack. But you could for example stack Growth Mutagen + Strongjaw.

2) Even without this rule, Growth Mutagen has the effect of Enlarge Person, so it would not be possible to stack Enlarge Person with Enlarge Person.

erasedisknow
2018-05-23, 08:47 AM
Enlarge person does expressly state that it doesn't stack with other size-altering effects. However, if you could find a way to make it do so, it being permanent would mean it's on you no matter what form you took. As long as you were a valid target for it, it would apply its effects.

1) Paizo have ruled (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t5u) that you can stack one real size change + one effective size change, regardless of source, and that's it. Growth Mutagen and Enlarge Person are both real size changes and thus don't stack. But you could for example stack Growth Mutagen + Strongjaw.

2) Even without this rule, Growth Mutagen has the effect of Enlarge Person, so it would not be possible to stack Enlarge Person with Enlarge Person.

So, basically, RaW: No, but in practice, ask the GM and see if they're willing to house-rule it for the sake of rule of cool?:smallwink:

Psyren
2018-05-23, 10:54 AM
So, basically, RaW: No, but in practice, ask the GM and see if they're willing to house-rule it for the sake of rule of cool?:smallwink:

Basically yeah.

If you want your Alchemist to reach Huge size via RAW means, Monstrous Physique III is a 5th-level extract :smallsmile: Kinda odd to me that they didn't also get Giant Form II but eh.

erasedisknow
2018-05-25, 04:47 PM
Basically yeah.

If you want your Alchemist to reach Huge size via RAW means, Monstrous Physique III is a 5th-level extract :smallsmile: Kinda odd to me that they didn't also get Giant Form II but eh.

Well, Really the third level of ANY of the extracts that let you turn into a specific creature type do the trick. :xykon:

Psyren
2018-05-25, 05:25 PM
Well, Really the third level of ANY of the extracts that let you turn into a specific creature type do the trick. :xykon:

Indeed though I assumed you might want to do humanoidy things still (e.g. drink more extracts.)