PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally Got Too Many Magic Weapons

HMS Invincible
2018-05-22, 03:11 PM
So the dm gave out too many magic weapons. They module stated that+1 daggers are available, which he read as all magic weapons. Now we have to fix this.
A. Increase the CR.
B. Remove magic weapons,
C. Hybrid approach.

We are level 5, and this is tomb of annihilation.
Rogue crossbow, druid/barb1, paladin/warlock1 longsword, fighter with repeat hand crossbow and sword, wizard, and sorcerer.

I'm thinking we refund some of the money but keep a magic dagger for each martial party member. That would be rogue, paladin, and fighter. Reasoning is that ignoring resistance is a bigger help than having the correct damage die, or going from range to melee.
We can buy consumables with the extra money.

ErHo
2018-05-22, 03:28 PM
So the dm gave out too many magic weapons. They module stated that+1 daggers are available, which he read as all magic weapons. Now we have to fix this.
A. Increase the CR.
B. Remove magic weapons,
C. Hybrid approach.

We are level 5, and this is tomb of annihilation.
Rogue crossbow, druid/barb1, paladin/warlock1 longsword, fighter with repeat hand crossbow and sword, wizard, and sorcerer.

I'm thinking we refund some of the money but keep a magic dagger for each martial party member. That would be rogue, paladin, and fighter. Reasoning is that ignoring resistance is a bigger help than having the correct damage die, or going from range to melee.
We can buy consumables with the extra money.

Feed them to Moloch

Spectrulus
2018-05-22, 03:40 PM
Magic daggers can be thrown still as well, your rogue might appreciate that as an option.

WOTC_GM
2018-05-22, 03:45 PM
How did you party receive the +1 weapons? How many +1 weapons does each member have?

Level 5 is about when I would expect to start dropping +1 weapons on my party as a DM, so I wouldn't consider this to be particularly game breaking or anything.

If the DM finds that the party is suddenly breezing past the content, all he needs to do is increase the CR/HP of the monsters you are facing slightly.

HMS Invincible
2018-05-22, 05:56 PM
How did you party receive the +1 weapons? How many +1 weapons does each member have?

Level 5 is about when I would expect to start dropping +1 weapons on my party as a DM, so I wouldn't consider this to be particularly game breaking or anything.

If the DM finds that the party is suddenly breezing past the content, all he needs to do is increase the CR/HP of the monsters you are facing slightly.
We bought them, with gold that we earned from looting the island of Chult...and bounty from pirates. We have 8 magic weapons. We originally wanted 1 range and 1 melee weapon for each martial character, and possibly extra for npc(that are backup characters in case we die)

WOTC_GM
2018-05-22, 07:27 PM
We bought them, with gold that we earned from looting the island of Chult...and bounty from pirates. We have 8 magic weapons. We originally wanted 1 range and 1 melee weapon for each martial character, and possibly extra for npc(that are backup characters in case we die)

Yeah that sounds like a bit much. Having a single +1 weapon per character would be pushing things quite a bit at level 5, let alone a backup and extras.

How much did your DM charge per weapon? Those generally would cost at least a few thousand GP each to start, which should have been what prevents most parties from straight up purchasing them, and that's if your DM even allows you to buy magical items as I know many DM's don't for various reasons.

I would recommend that your DM either retcon's and removes most of the +1 items, so that each party member gets a single +1 weapon and reimburses the difference in gold back to the party, or he should be prepared to buff the monsters for most of your encounters for the next few levels. Slightly more HP and higher saves/AC is most likely going to be necessary, or just tougher opponents in general.

Matrix_Walker
2018-05-22, 07:59 PM
+1 weapons?

I wouldn't worry about it. By this level, I would expect everyone to have their own, and a few backups aren't going to make a big difference. If things seem too easy, add another critter to your encounters now and again.

furby076
2018-05-23, 11:28 PM
whether each party member has 1 +1 weapaon or 10 is irrelevant (except for trades for other magic), since you can only use 1 or 2 at max at anytime (and twf is sucky at best). Just have the DM up the AC of each critter by 1. solved

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-23, 11:47 PM
whether each party member has 1 +1 weapaon or 10 is irrelevant (except for trades for other magic), since you can only use 1 or 2 at max at anytime (and twf is sucky at best). Just have the DM up the AC of each critter by 1. solved

This is not good advice. I'd suggest just letting everything continue on as normal. A +1 weapon isn't going to skew the difficulty too far out of what would be expected and there are plenty of situations where everyone having a +1 weapon is absolutely worthless.

Adding a +1 to monster AC does 3 things wrong:
-It adds Challenge Rating to monsters, potentially skewing balance outside of intended bounds. ToA is already difficult, adding to it thoughtlessly could quickly end a game.
-It makes +1 weapons almost worthless. The +1 to hit portion of magical weapons is much more useful than the damage portion IMO. It's poor form to give someone +X weapon and then just give the big bad +X AC because you made a mistake.
-Casters relying on Spell Attack Rolls are doubled screwed by this change.