PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Item to find traps

Kish
2018-05-22, 04:03 PM
Is there a magical item somewhere that can help someone who isn't a rogue or similar class find or disarm traps?

It doesn't really matter for this how well it does it, only that that's its purpose and it's not terrible homebrew from dndwiki.

daremetoidareyo
2018-05-22, 04:05 PM
In ghost walk there's a little mechanical creature that you can buy, wind up, and send down a hallway

Thurbane
2018-05-22, 04:53 PM
Wand of Find Traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findTraps.htm)?

It appears on the Jester spell list, so maybe an Eternal Wand?

That's finding of course, doesn't help with disarming.

In ghost walk there's a little mechanical creature that you can buy, wind up, and send down a hallway

That sounds awesome, but I'm struggling to find it?

Nifft
2018-05-22, 04:59 PM
There's a soulmeld for that, so you could make an item which grants...

- a feat (~20k gp) - the feat is Shape Soulmeld (theft gloves)

- a spell or power - the spell is Open Least Chakra / the power is Open Chakra

- combo with an item that gives you some Essentia like that ring from MIC.

It'd be expensive, and it's not a standard item, but it's all within the bounds of the magic item guidelines.

jdizzlean
2018-05-22, 05:07 PM
knock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/knock.htm), or a wand of knock can disable the lock on a trap depending on it's location

you can always go lo-tech and just hurl a large rock at things... just hide behind something when you do in case arrows shoot out :belkar:

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-22, 07:00 PM
Your party members. Just send them in first :smallbiggrin:

Elkad
2018-05-22, 07:06 PM
Your party members. Just send them in first :smallbiggrin:

This. Barbarians have that d12 for a reason.

Nifft
2018-05-22, 07:28 PM
This. Barbarians have that d12 for a reason.

Barbarians also have one of the most delightful trapfinding ACFs at level 3, in Dungeonscape.

retaliation08
2018-05-22, 09:32 PM
You could make a knock and find traps item with magic item creation rules.

unseenmage
2018-05-22, 10:07 PM
With enough gold you could buy a Scroll of Simulacrum of an appropriately skilled rogue.

The Dominate or Monstrous Thrall spells could mind control a rogue for you.

The Leadership feat used with the Power of Faerun book would let you roll dice to attract a specific rogue to your service.

Sadly getting class abilities onto Constructs is one of the few things I was never able to crack otherwise more artificial minionmastery would be my go-to.

Alabenson
2018-05-23, 03:16 PM
There's always an eternal wand of Summon Monster I. Granted, this would help disarming traps in the same sense that a stick helps disarm a bear trap, but the principle would be the same.

Nifft
2018-05-23, 03:24 PM
There's always an eternal wand of Summon Monster I. Granted, this would help disarming traps in the same sense that a stick helps disarm a bear trap, but the principle would be the same.

You could do the same thing all day with a Collar of Perpetual Attendance + a 100 lb bag of sand.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-23, 08:42 PM
Is there seriously no one that's going to say 12 foot stick? It's the most basic of basics. Get it as a collapsible or screw-together thing if you can.

retaliation08
2018-05-23, 10:01 PM
I had a Barbarian character commision a collapsing 10ft pole from some gnomes. He was tired of trapfinding up close.

Thurbane
2018-05-23, 11:38 PM

Would combine well with an Eternal Wand of Find Traps. Check for traps first, then send in your summons to activate it.

Only problem I can see is with traps that have automated resets.

Zaq
2018-05-24, 12:51 AM
Would combine well with an Eternal Wand of Find Traps. Check for traps first, then send in your summons to activate it.

Only problem I can see is with traps that have automated resets.

Also, the worst trap isn't the one that blasts you in the face. The worst trap is the one that triggers an Alarm spell or something equivalent and lets the dungeon's residents know that there's murderhoboes coming through.

Nifft
2018-05-24, 01:00 AM
Also, the worst trap isn't the one that blasts you in the face. The worst trap is the one that triggers an Alarm spell or something equivalent and lets the dungeon's residents know that there's murderhoboes coming through.

DM: "Suddenly a loud and terrible voice echos through the corridor. It's obviously magical in origan, and it's chanting something over and over again. Anyone speak Abyssal?"

Player: "Yeah I got Abyssal."

DM: "The magical voice is chanting: lunch delivery, lunch delivery, lunch delivery, lunch delivery..."

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-05-24, 02:38 AM
Make them an item that give Trapfinding.

Elkad
2018-05-24, 07:08 AM

While dropping a portcullis 60' behind the party. Or in the middle of the party - separating the martials from the casters.
You get those movie scenes where the Barbarian is holding the portcullis up, while the fighter crawls under, fights the ghoul who attacked the wizard, and tries to stuff the paralyzed wizard back under the gate. And the whole time a bunch of goblins are trying to turn the Barbarian into a pincushion with their shortbows and yelling for their friends.

denthor
2018-05-24, 09:07 AM
More simple hire a thief. Just pay double.

Thurbane
2018-05-24, 03:14 PM
Make them an item that give Trapfinding.

I'm honestly surprised that no such item already exists exists.

I supposed Domain Draught of the Kobold domain (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) does the trick, but 3,300gp per day of use is a pretty steep cost.

Venger
2018-05-24, 06:59 PM
I had a Barbarian character commision a collapsing 10ft pole from some gnomes. He was tired of trapfinding up close.
Did he... tie a bunch of gnomes together into a pole? Hardcore.

I'm honestly surprised that no such item already exists exists.

I supposed Domain Draught of the Kobold domain (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) does the trick, but 3,300gp per day of use is a pretty steep cost.

Or you could make an item to grant the feat (20k) catalogs of enlightenment: kobold domain

depending on how many zap traps your gm taxes you with, a bag of tricks might be nice too.

Thurbane
2018-05-24, 07:10 PM
Or you could make an item to grant the feat (20k) catalogs of enlightenment: kobold domain

Good point. If your DM signs off on a custom item, it's paid for itself inside of a week!