PDA

View Full Version : magic item designing philosophy

Amdy_vill
2018-05-22, 04:44 PM
so the magic weapon workshop thread gave me this idea. what is you philosophy on making magic items for you party. i want to know everything and why you think that.

for me i make magic items in several whys. first importing a classes abilities. if i have a sorcerer in my party by 20th level that sorcerer will have some access to extra sorcerery points. for a paladin or cleric some more channel divinity access. things like weapons that act as if a specific channel divinity(most of the time it is one they don't have or for clerics more turn undead) had been activated on the enemies it hits. i also like to give them small limited access to abilities outside of there class. but they will never get access to a classes ability that is from a class in the party. these are my opinions on legendary items.

for non legendarys items i like them to be +1 of +2 and work by adding a spell and extra damage to a weapon or armor. think things like darts the when thrown split into a number of extra darts that deal force damage. for staffs robes and armor i just like to take on a few spell and call it a day.

i think this is the right why as it add versatile to characters for legendary items and expands there options for non legendary items. i also tend to try and make most of there items non attuned so most of there attunement slots are filled by legendary items of ac boosts

Specter
2018-05-22, 06:09 PM
I make items when I want to give a personal touch to the loot. A Tempest Cleric in the game would like a shield? Bam, now it's a +1 shield that gives him immunity to lightning and thunder, and also lets him jump higher for coolness. The Bard wants an item? Bam, now he's got the Badge of Valor, that lets people reroll the inspiration he gives and use a reaction to move when they use it. Much better than something generic.

MrStabby
2018-05-22, 09:33 PM
So some is context specific.

I will NEVER give class abilities of a different class that is being played at that table. That is someone else's stand out strength and it should remain that way.

Secondly I don't want to make a class better at what it is good at if it is the best class at that thing already. For example paladins are arguably the best class at nova damage. This means I am more likely to give a paladins an item that adds d4 damage per smite die used on the following turn than I am to add to damage on the current turn. Still paladins are arguably best at killing single targets so I would be even more likely to make that d4 splash damage to other enemies.

Then I try to find the narrow band left and find something in the players style that might appeal to them. An in-your-face martial cleric might get a weapon attack boost (not enough to compete with a true martial class) or a wizard might find an enhanced version of a particular spell they favour (if that spell isn't topping out the power curve)

mephnick
2018-05-23, 11:31 AM
I'll never go above a +1 bonus to start and 90% of my magic stuff is +0 with a neat effect. I like adding spell like abilities that don't get chosen much, like speak to animals, jump, etc. Once had a +0 magic spear whose blade could be used to write illusory script and "draw" dancing lights in the air. Stuff like that adds some real fun to martial characters especially and add magic weapon damage at the same time