PDA

View Full Version : Computer Neverwinter Nights Complete Stuck on "Updating Component Registration", Windows 10.

MonkeySage
2018-05-22, 09:41 PM
I'm trying to install the games on my new Windows 10 and it is stalling at this point. Real pain in the rear since the game has 6 product keys that I keep having to retype, hyphens included.

I've looked up suggestions which haven't been any help. And the install wizard is frozen.

How do I install this game on Windows 10?

Shishnarfne
2018-05-22, 11:18 PM
I'm trying to install the games on my new Windows 10 and it is stalling at this point. Real pain in the rear since the game has 6 product keys that I keep having to retype, hyphens included.

I've looked up suggestions which haven't been any help. And the install wizard is frozen.

How do I install this game on Windows 10?

Ouch. I don't remember facing this (I did pick up the compilation via GoG a while back). Hopefully the install wizard can be unfrozen "easily" via reboot on the machine.

I presume that you've tried uninstall reinstall.
Not sure if running the installer in compatibility mode or as administrator might help?

Sorry, but I don't know if I can help more than Google.
I know that I had enough fun with NWN that I hope that you can get it fixed.

MonkeySage
2018-05-23, 05:25 PM
Please, does anyone else know how to install this game on a Windows 10 machine? I keep trying and it keeps stalling. I've even tried to use compatibility mode, but in order to troubleshoot I need to install... and if I could do that, I wouldn't be here.

ArgentumRegio
2018-05-25, 07:57 AM
I got you on this.

First off, what version of the software are you trying to install? Is it from disc(s)? Is it from gog.com? Is it the new NWN:EE from beamdog.com?

MonkeySage
2018-05-25, 12:21 PM
Alright, so the version I was using was a hard copy of the Complete Edition- all expansions from both games included. It took all day but I finally managed to get it working, though I'm not sure how. I had already made repeated attempts to troubleshoot compatibility, and in order to do that I had to install the game. First few times I tried it, I watched the progress bar stall for hours. If I ever got to the second disc, it'd just stall after the swap.

ArgentumRegio
2018-05-25, 01:06 PM
NWN was released at a time when windows xp dominated the market, XP did not support 'file permissions', this came later with Vista and beyond. So, the XP compatable software assumes that it will be treated as 'all powerful administrator' and must be run (the setup.exe) with those flags set in order to write files where it needs to write them.

Some systems additionally need microsoft DirectX 9.0C SDK installed to get all the whistles and bells working right too.

I'm glad to hear you got it running, perseverance pays off!