PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Celestial Warlock Backstory Help!

Skuxintux
2018-05-23, 03:53 AM
Hey everyone. I've been having trouble coming up for a backstory for my Human Warlock. I have a character concept ready but I'm feeling uninspired at the moment. Any suggestion is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Human with wizarding ties (Magic Innate)
Has a celestial patron (A LG solar or empyrean)
has a pet owl
Has a bow with rune writings that fires magical arrows (Reflavored Tomelock, arrows are ranged cantrips like Vicious Mockery)
I was originally thinking having him being part of a secret Harper-esque org

Unoriginal
2018-05-23, 05:34 AM
PC was a student in a magic academy, but while they enjoyed researching power they really had little to no interest in the standard training and going step-by-step and the tedious memorizing. They wanted to study what interested them, and didn't care how mad the teachers were about them.

Then, one day, they opened a book on runic lore and decided to try out a ritual inside. It made them appear in front of Dararad, Empyrean and Guardian of the Runes of Heaven. The Deva could sense that the PC had the potential for good and for greatness, but that they were likely to fall for temptation if left to their own device, so the angel made a pact with the PC, before sending them back.

Asmotherion
2018-05-23, 05:44 AM
Hey everyone. I've been having trouble coming up for a backstory for my Human Warlock. I have a character concept ready but I'm feeling uninspired at the moment. Any suggestion is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Human with wizarding ties (Magic Innate)
Has a celestial patron (A LG solar or empyrean)
has a pet owl
Has a bow with rune writings that fires magical arrows (Reflavored Tomelock, arrows are ranged cantrips like Vicious Mockery)
I was originally thinking having him being part of a secret Harper-esque org

Wile the Bow that fires cantrips would be solid for a Hexblade, I feel it lacks depth of concpet for your character.

Perhaps build a bit more around that concept? What makes that bow able to drow arcane power and inscribe it? Is it a special connection to you (passed down from generations)? Symbolic to you, as in, are you making a character concept who must have a symbolic bow (perhaps you are trying to make Cuppid or Orion?).

On the other hand, you might want to disreguard this information completelly. Just giving my views on how I'd personally improve your character concept, but again, my first rule is "there is no right or wrong in character creation".

Mercurias
2018-05-23, 07:12 AM
Your character could have been a one-time aspiring wizard who was a little too charismatic at the wrong time. The nail that sticks up gets the hammer, and so you were ejected from your training into a world which was largely indifferent to your plight.

You would spend time outside during the night, trying desperately to coax what you remembered of your education into an Arcane talent that would help you through life, but nothing ever came of it.

One evening, as you were staring at the moon, an owl flew by and was pierced through the wing by an arrow. You watched it tumble from the sky and ran to where it landed. For some reason, the animal didn’t seem to be afraid of you, and it allowed you to approach and pull the arrow from its wing.

The arrow, and the own, began to glow with an unearthly light, and in your hand you felt the presence of a mind from...Elsewhere. It was a shard of a great being, and as it offered you, a virtuous and compassionate soul, the power you’d sought (in exchange for whatever, if you’re doing the bargain thing), the arrow twisted, elongated, and took the shape of a bow etched with celestial Runes (I’d personally just say the bow is an Arcane focus or possibly a nimbus and gesturing component of your spells unless you’re going to shoot arrows from it too for some reason).

With your god’s messenger on your shoulder, and bow in hand, you strolled out to meet the world. Who knew grabbing an animal’s shaft could be so rewarding?

Vogie
2018-05-23, 08:22 AM
I'm confused - are you a tomelock or Chainlock?

Another thing to focus on is how you want the boring fights to go. I like that you're choosing Celestial Patron
If your "normal attack" is:

Psychic damage - a Tomelock to grab VM, weave in some Mind Spikes in there... mix that in with your innate healing abilities, perhaps your patron is a Guardinal?
Fire-based - A tomelock to grab Fire Bolt or Produce Flame. Perhaps your patron is an elemental Avatar?
Radiant damage - Since you're celestial, you have Sacred flame as a damage cantrip, that could be your core (using other ways to restrain the target, such as slow), perhaps your patron is an Archon?

Mercurias
2018-05-23, 09:28 PM
I was thinking they were a Tomelock since Pact of the Chain with an owl would be...Well it’d sure be something. Easier to take it as a tomelock ritual, and it would have more of that Arcane caster background flavor.