PDA

View Full Version : Discussing the nature of shadow blade.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-05-23, 07:55 AM
Hello GitP I would like to discuss with you the properties of the spell shadow blade. What I was wondering does it count as a spell or a magical weapon? Lets say im fighting a creature that has magic resistance and I hit it with the sword does the resistance affect the blade or not. Another thing I would like to ask is if I am up against someone with a ring of spell turning and I roll to attack and roll a nat 20 then they roll a nat 20 on there save does the sword hit me? (I know that the ring only works on saves im just speaking theoretically).

RSP
2018-05-23, 08:03 AM
Hello GitP I would like to discuss with you the properties of the spell shadow blade. What I was wondering does it count as a spell or a magical weapon? Lets say im fighting a creature that has magic resistance and I hit it with the sword does the resistance affect the blade or not. Another thing I would like to ask is if I am up against someone with a ring of spell turning and I roll to attack and roll a nat 20 then they roll a nat 20 on there save does the sword hit me? (I know that the ring only works on saves im just speaking theoretically).

Doesn't Magic Resistance only work on Saves as well (Advantage against)?

The Spell creates the weapon. I'd say it's a magic weapon but I wouldn't apply Magic Resistance to that anymore than I would any other magic weapon.

In essence, it would work just like summoning a creature. Does that creature's attacks interact with defensive abilities of their target? If so, SB probably interacts the same way.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-05-23, 08:06 AM
One other thing. If you are an eldritch knight with TWF or duel wielding feat can you cast it multiple times and bond with it so when you throw it it comes back to you automatically without using a bonus action?

RSP
2018-05-23, 08:19 AM
One other thing. If you are an eldritch knight with TWF or duel wielding feat can you cast it multiple times and bond with it so when you throw it it comes back to you automatically without using a bonus action?

No to both. It's a Concentration spell so no other Concentration castings while it's up, to include a second casting of the same spell.

As for bonding it, I believe that requires a Short Rest (1 hour in duration) to occur and the duration of SB is only 1 minute so it would never last long enough for the boding to occur. Either way though, the EK ability requires a bonus action to summon anyway.