PDA

View Full Version : Throwing a teammate

Petrocorus
2018-05-23, 08:43 AM
In a recent session i run, two third of the party (The 3 big guys and the wizard) were blocked by a Flaming Sphere in a room while the Bard and the Druid were fighting the kobold sorcerer and his minions in another room.

The guys would not dare trying to jump over the Flaming Sphere. But then, being the avid Blood Bowl player i am, i thought that the Gauntleted Paladin with his 19 Strength could try to throw the 20 kg halfling Battlemaster over the Sphere to help the others.

So, my question is: How would you rule it, if a PC try to throw another PC over and obstacle?

Harleytrypp
2018-05-23, 08:49 AM
In a recent session i run, two third of the party (The 3 big guys and the wizard) were blocked by a Flaming Sphere in a room while the Bard and the Druid were fighting the kobold sorcerer and his minions in another room.

The guys would not dare trying to jump over the Flaming Sphere. But then, being the avid Blood Bowl player i am, i thought that the Gauntleted Paladin with his 19 Strength could try to throw the 20 kg halfling Battlemaster over the Sphere to help the others.

So, my question is: How would you rule it, if a PC try to throw another PC over and obstacle?

Rule of Cool... Set a DC for the Strength check for the Pali.... Set a DC for the Acrobatics check for the halfling... let the dice fly :smallbiggrin:

Kurt Kurageous
2018-05-23, 08:56 AM
Rule of Cool... Set a DC for the Strength check for the Pali.... Set a DC for the Acrobatics check for the halfling... let the dice fly :smallbiggrin:

Ditto. But may I add the consequences of failure or critical success?

Consequence of failure on the Pally is disadvantage on the halflings save vs fire damage. Consequence for failure on the acrobatics for halfling is land prone and stunned for the rest of the turn they were thrown.

Crit success Pally is advantage on the save, crit success halfling lands hidden (if possible) granting possible advantage next attack, or unnoticed if could not be hidden.

Including the consequences then makes the die roll a lot more interesting...

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-23, 09:01 AM
That's how my DM usually rules it (though he usually lets the throwee choose between athletics or acrobatics). This happened at least 3 times across different characters and campaigns with me and my barbarian mate (with me being the throwee). Heck I got no doubt that should he play an halfling sorcerer and me a minotaur fighter with a permanent enlarge effect on, he would still try to throw me. :smallbiggrin:

JackPhoenix
2018-05-23, 09:08 AM
Dead goblin counts as improvised weapon. Improvised weapons can be thrown with range of 20/60.

There's no reason why the same shouldn't be true of a live, yet cooperating halfling (grapple checks should be involved if the halfling isn't cooperating).

He should propably take falling damage, though, especially at long range.

Tanarii
2018-05-23, 09:27 AM
Why is it that Barbarians and Fighters always want to engage in Halfling-tossing? I've seen it over 5 editions now. At this point, they just need to write the rules into the PHB. :smallamused:

I just allow it as an Action. Throw the character 10ft, same distance as a jump for a Str 10 character. Str check to throw further.
Edit: this assumes the Halfling won't land on their feet or make an attack at the end of the throw.

Petrocorus
2018-05-23, 09:41 AM
Why is it that Barbarians and Fighters always want to engage in Halfling-tossing? I've seen it over 5 editions now. At this point, they just need to write the rules into the PHB. :smallamused:

Rule of Cool, probably.
Though in this case, i was the one to came up with the idea and both players were rather cold about it. The halfling one, notably.

I'm all for having a rule about it in the PHB. :smallsmile::smallwink:

IIRC, this was also antic of Colossus and Wolverine in X-Men.

I just allow it as an Action. Throw the character 10ft, same distance as a jump for a Str 10 character. Str check to throw further.
Edit: this assumes the Halfling won't land on their feet or make an attack at the end of the throw.
This makes sense. The improvised weapon range seems a bit too good.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-23, 09:46 AM
Slightly off-topic, but if the Flaming Sphere was per the spell, then you could just walk through it. You only take damage from it if it rams you or you end your turn within 5 feet of it.

I know that ruins the fun and ignores the point of the thread, though. :P

Vogie
2018-05-23, 09:48 AM
IIRC, this was also antic of Colossus and Wolverine in X-Men.

Ah, yes, the Fastball special. Also talked about here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535334-Fastball-special-mechanic).

And more recently, from Thor Ragnarok, "Get Help!"

Tanarii
2018-05-23, 09:56 AM
Slightly off-topic, but if the Flaming Sphere was per the spell, then you could just walk through it. You only take damage from it if it rams you or you end your turn within 5 feet of it.

I know that ruins the fun and ignores the point of the thread, though. :P
Flaming sphere occupies it's space. You can't actually go through it.

You can certainly walk past it or be thrown right over the top of it though.

Petrocorus
2018-05-23, 10:03 AM
Ah, yes, the Fastball special. Also talked about here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535334-Fastball-special-mechanic).

And more recently, from Thor Ragnarok, "Get Help!"

Oh my... I need to implement this in my game.

I remember at least one instance where The Beast took Colossus' place in this process. I found this a bit odd.

Requilac
2018-05-23, 10:33 AM
I once DMed a one-shot where a Firbolg Druid tried to throw a Gnome WMS into the center of a pack of wolves so he could cast Thunderwave on them, which would immediately trigger a Wild Magic Surge afterwards.

The way I played it was that the Firbolg thrower had to a make Strength (Athletics) check to throw the gnome at a point in space up to 20 ft away. If the total was below 5 the Firbolg dropped the gnome, if the total was between 5-9 the Firbolg threw the gnome 10 ft away, if the total was between 10-14 the Firbolg could throw the gnome up to 20 ft. away, if the total was between 15-19 the Firbolg could throw the gnome up to 40 ft. Away and if the total was above 60 he could throw the gnome up to 20 ft away.

Said gnome would then would need to succeed on a dexterity saving throw or land prone and take 1d6 bludgeoning damage. The DC of this save would be equal to 30 minus the total result of what the Firbolg’s strength check was. (EX: if the Firbolg rolled a 14 for their strength check , the save DC for the gnome’s dex save would be 16).

_____

For those of you who where interested in how that turned out, the Firbolg managed to throw the gnome up to 60ft away to a spot right behind the wolves. All four wolves them somehow succeeded on the check, as our gnome friend became immune to alcohol for about 20 something days. The gnome got knocked below 0 HP and was making death saving throws throughout the fight but was healed after the battle.