PDA

View Full Version : getting a level 5 wand?

Generic PC
2007-09-05, 11:32 PM
ya. that describes it all. I would like to find a way to get a wand of Revivify, preferably for cheap. Yes, i realize that wands in the DMG only go up to thrid level, but i am sure i have seen a way to do this. if not, then please post telling me so and then ignore this post as ramblings.

MrNexx
2007-09-06, 01:00 AM
Technically, wands can only hold spells of up to 4th level. For a spell containing a 5th level spell, you need a staff.

Caewil
2007-09-06, 01:23 AM
Or an artificer.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 02:07 AM
Keep in mind that for a Wand of Revivify, you have to pay 50x the material cost of Revivify. Didn't it require something fairly pricy in the way of a material component?

Reinboom
2007-09-06, 02:10 AM
Keep in mind that for a Wand of Revivify, you have to pay 50x the material cost of Revivify. Didn't it require something fairly pricy in the way of a material component?

1000 gp worth of everyone's favorite last-forever materials is the cost.

Aside, go with an eternal wand (MiC) if you can.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 02:26 AM
1000 gp worth of everyone's favorite last-forever materials is the cost.

So 50 * 1,000 = 50,000 just in material costs before even starting with how much it would actually cost to enchant the thing, and the xp cost, and everything else associated.

Pretty pricy item there. You plan on your friends dying enough times for this thing to be worth it?

tannish2
2007-09-06, 02:35 AM
ya, staves level 5+ are called wands, i know, its annoying that they made them seperate feats, but the material componet would be 50k+normal item cost.... even MY group wouldnt do that (someone dies every combat, save or die villian, stupid ****up, sleeping player, natural one on a few too many saves) and were not a terribly low level.

SCPRedMage
2007-09-06, 02:42 AM
Or an artificer.
Artificers can't get around the spell level 4 limit that wands have.

Like everyone has been saying, to put a level 5+ spell in a spell trigger item, it needs to be in a staff. Or, if you're playing in Faerun, have Lost Empires of Faerun, AND have ranks in Knowledge (History), you can take Craft Scepter at level 9. Scepters are basically a middle-ground between wands and staves; they hold two spells of level 7 or less, drawing from the same charge pool.

Generic PC
2007-09-06, 08:15 AM
So, How much would a Staff with Revivify cost?

Mewtarthio
2007-09-06, 08:18 AM
Or you could be epic level. I think the "Craft Epic Wand" feat gets around the spell level cap.

SCPRedMage
2007-09-06, 08:25 AM
So, How much would a Staff with Revivify cost?
67,175gp market price, 58,438gp 675xp and a masterwork stick... er, quaterstaff to make. That is, if Revivify is the only spell in the thing; I've never seen a staff with just one spell...

That 1,000gp material component gets spendy when making spell trigger items...

Darrin
2007-09-06, 08:32 AM
ya, staves level 5+ are called wands, i know, its annoying that they made them seperate feats, but the material componet would be 50k+normal item cost.... even MY group wouldnt do that (someone dies every combat, save or die villian, stupid ****up, sleeping player, natural one on a few too many saves) and were not a terribly low level.

You could also just create a Wondrous Item with 50 charges that just happens to look like a stick. Same cost, no spell level cap.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-06, 09:07 AM
You could also just create a Wondrous Item with 50 charges that just happens to look like a stick. Same cost, no spell level cap.

Wondrous items that don't take up a body slot cost X2. I could imagine it as a syringe with a glowing green liquid inside that you inject into fallen people.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-06, 09:51 AM
Or you could be epic level. I think the "Craft Epic Wand" feat gets around the spell level cap. There's no such feat, nor is there a "Brew Epic Potion". If the spell exceeds the level cap you can't put it in a wand or potion. But then there's no difference between making a wand and making a staff in terms of cost or time involved; just a different crafting feat. So Craft Staff is what you need.

Larrin
2007-09-06, 10:54 AM
There's no such feat, nor is there a "Brew Epic Potion". If the spell exceeds the level cap you can't put it in a wand or potion. But then there's no difference between making a wand and making a staff in terms of cost or time involved; just a different crafting feat. So Craft Staff is what you need.

...and since i can't find any requirement on size you could just craft yourself a tiny staff and have it look like a wand :smalltongue:

Funkyodor
2007-09-06, 10:57 AM
Just make it an Oil, or Elixer (like the other elixers listed under Misc Magic Items instead of potions). Unction of Revivification: Recommend 10 minutes to fully apply this unction upon every inch of an individual. If used on a slain creature, this unction acts as a Raise Dead spell has been cast. Thank you for purchasing this Radiant Pelor product. "If it ain't Pelor, then you ain't comin' back!" Cost 7,250g.

If any player wants to purchase "Life Insurance" they can get the Unction. If not then they have to rely on their wits, or on a friendly player to give them a Raise.

I am very surprised that 3.X does not have an item that accomplishes this included within their already abundant Core + Splat book magic item collection.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-06, 10:59 AM
If you aren't allowed to make a tiny staff, just cast shrink item on it.

Karsh
2007-09-06, 11:19 AM
Unction of Revivification: Recommend 10 minutes to fully apply this unction upon every inch of an individual.

Problem: The spell must be cast within one round of the target's death or it doesn't work.

Funkyodor
2007-09-06, 01:07 PM
Problem: The spell must be cast within one round of the target's death or it doesn't work.
Um, since the spell takes longer than one round to cast, I highly doubt that.

Sorry, also I also need to put a clause in it that it can bring people back that have been killed via a Death Effect (like Arrows of Slaying and such). Raise Dead doesn't cover that, for some reason...

mostlyharmful
2007-09-06, 01:13 PM
Not Raise Dead, Revivify. Different kettle of beans, its a clerics only spell compendium mojo that tlets you get your friends back without that pesky level loss so long as it's cast within 1 round of their death, still costs 1000 gp though

Mewtarthio
2007-09-06, 01:30 PM
Not Raise Dead, Revivify. Different kettle of beans, its a clerics only spell compendium mojo that tlets you get your friends back without that pesky level loss so long as it's cast within 1 round of their death, still costs 1000 gp though

As a side note, the psionic version is in the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicRevivify.htm).

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 01:59 PM
You could get a Scepter, if your DM'd allow. It's a magic item that falls between wands and staves, with up to 7th level spells, and it can store 2 different spells, though both draw on the same 50 charges. Spells of levels 5+ draw 2 charges per use, however.

Craft Scepter is located in Lost Empires of Faerun, a very good, but underrated book.