PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo; Witch Doctor (Character) PEACH

Climowitz
2018-05-23, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone, i'm looking foward to build a character with a voodoo theme. It should be a debuffer with the ability to make poisons and potions both magic and mundane, and be focused on debuffs, also it would be awesome if it could cast Bestow Curse at level 5 like a cleric. Can you help me with classes prestige and feats or even acf or variants.

So the Thread started like this. Now i present you my build, it has a workaround with the DM to change a couple of things, including a custom Bloodline Feat. What do you think of it?

Now i would love some help and ideas around items, either magical or mundanes, that give a voodoo flavor, i mean, even Salt on pockets is a valid idea.

Witch Doctor, Voodoomancer
LevelClassBABFortRefWillFeature**** DieSkill PointsFeats
1Dread Necromancer0002Rebuke Undead, Curse (Hexblade), Focus Staffd44 + IntDreadful Wrath, Voodoo Bloodline ,Spell Focus Necromancy, Fearsome Necromancy
2Dread Necromancer1003d44 + Int
3Dread Necromancer2113Brew Potiond44 + IntLife Leech
4Dread Necromancer3114Advanced Learning, Mental Bastiond44 + Int
5Dread Necromancer3114Aura of Despaird44 + Int
6Mindbender4316Telepathyd42 + IntSickening Grasp
7Alchemic Savant4516Efficient Alchemy, Poison Used42 + Int
8Alchemic Savant5616Brew Spellviald42 + Int
9Dread Witch5618Master of Terror, Unnatural Willd42 + IntBlessing of the Godless
10Alchemic Savant6629Efficient Alchemy 2/Dayd42 + Int
11Alchemic Savant6729Create Alchemical Mixtured42 + Int
12Dread Witch77210Absorb Feard42 + IntDark Speech
13Dread Witch78310Fearful Empowerment 1/Dayd42 + Int
14Dread Witch88311Delay Fear, Greater Master of Terrord42 + Int
15Nightmare Spinner88313Bonus Spells, Inmunity to Fear, Inspire Feard44 + IntDark Whispers
16Nightmare Spinner98314Nightmare Phantasmd44 + Int
17Nightmare Spinner99415Spirit Chilld44 + Int
18Nightmare Spinner109416d44 + IntGreater Spell Focus Necromancy
19Nightmare Spinner109416Deadly Nightmared44 + Int
20Alchemist Savant119416Brew Universal Potion, Efficient Alchemy 3/Dayd42 + Int

Race is Unseelie Fey Human, with the Flaws: Murky Eyed and Shaky.
Base Stats (Before Template) will be:
STR: 16
DEX: 7
CON: 16
WIS: 9
INT: 14
CHA: 17

We're still trying to come up with something to use as voodoo dolls, however with this build i kind of have what i wanted to play. I will probably start at level 5, so full build is just so i can project it.

Voodoo Bloodline
Prerequisite
Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation,

Benefit
Benefit: Your ancestry gives you a bonus spell known at each spell level, starting at 1st, from the following list.
1st— BLindness / Deafness
2nd— Touch of Idiocy
3rd— Bestow Curse
4th— Touch of Years
5th— Oath of Blood
6th— Mass Contagion
7th— Greater Bestow Curse
8th— Death Pact
9th— Laeral's Crowning Touch

Special
If a character takes this feat any time after 1st level and has already learned any of the spells on this list in the class to which she applies this feat, she gains no additional spells known at those spell levels. This restriction does not apply if she learned any of these spells as a member of another spellcasting class.

Characters with this feat cannot learn or cast spells that boost attributes, saves or skills, and all such spells are removed from the spells lists of all their spellcasting classes.

A character may choose only one base bloodline feat.

Venger
2018-05-23, 03:25 PM
could you be more specific? you may well use a cleric chassis.

what level are you starting at?
what books are allowed?
what's the power level/ op level of your game?
are you rolling human or do you want something weird?
any particular theme/mechanic you want to incorporate?

libris mortis's master of shrouds could be good.

Falontani
2018-05-23, 04:11 PM
from the warcraft series of d20 books we have a lovely prestige class for trolls called the Witch Doctor. Magic and Mayhem page 55 notables:

Requires troll (duh)
Craft Alchemy 7 ranks
Brew Potion
2nd level arcane spells
Benefits:
Half bab, good fort and will saves, spellcasting progression every even level (so we're not doing great for a class here)

It adds 29 spells to your spell list including the various cure spells, inflict spells, and Heal (among others) a few of these spells if ported over are basically like World of Warcraft's Totems (It is a warcraft class)

You get a class feature that boosts your totems

Level 2 they get an ability that allows them to spend an extra 5 xp/spell level to maximize created potions. Or add +5 to the DC of a crafted alchemical item to maximize that

Level 3 they can create voodoo dolls if they have a material component from the person (like simulacri). They can then channel touch spells up to third level through the doll as if they were touching the creature as long as they are on the same plane of existence. The creature is considered flat footed for reflex saves and you no longer need to roll to hit. They may also channel compulsions through the dolls. Whenever a spell being cast this way ends the doll is destroyed

Level 4 he can prepare a simple wooden weapon with alchemical ingredients (costing 1k GP) and a month. Once per day afterwards they can bestow a temporary +1 enchantment on the weapon as a standard action. The enchantment lasts for your class level in rounds.

Level 5 he can spend a full round action to cause people within 60 ft who fail a save to become shaken. Concentration effect to continue the ability

Level 6 the best ability here imo, when creating a potion you may spend 1.5* the normal xp cost to create two of them. You don't even have to pay another thing of gold cost, so your potions are effectively half as expensive as they already were, and you only spend an additional xp per 2 you already spent.

Level 7 he can use any touch spell or compulsion spell through the voodoo dolls

Level 9 we get a weird fun ability; multiply the gold cost (not time or xp cost) of a single potion by 100* to use this ability. For the next 1d4 days after someone drinks the potion you may cast Dominate Monster on them as a free action, and they gain no save. The Dominate lasts for your CL in days. If you EVER use this ability you had BETTER use the level 6 ability with it. (I mean seriously, 3*15*50*100 GP is the most outrageously extravagant Cure Serious Wounds, ever. Even if it is maximized and you get two of them)

Level 10 you can make a focus which costs 2500 GP. Using this focus once per day you can have one of my favorite kill spells as an extraordinary! 20 ft radius, everyone needs to make a fort save DC 15+int mod or die. If they succeed and they have 3 or fewer HD, they die. 4-9 take 6d10 damage, 10+ take 3d10 damage. Its a sonic effect (not a death effect)

The class is definitely not the best, however it encompasses the voodoo feel very nicely I think.

Climowitz
2018-05-23, 04:20 PM
Im sorry. Every book 3.5 onwards. No pathfinder and 3.0 is difficult. Human would be better but is not mandatory. No homebrew allowed. Anything else is possible. No specific level could be level 20 build but should usable by level 7

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-05-23, 04:40 PM
Archivist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) 11 into Hexer from Masters of the Wild would probably be the best class combination for this. The Craft: Poisonmaking skill is in Complete Adventurer. Just pick spells that you think would fit the theme, you can learn any divine spell, including from any domain, and from the Druid, Ranger, and even Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) spell lists. There's even a handy list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445204-Lowest-level-versions-of-spells) for the lowest level you can learn a given spell.

SangoProduction
2018-05-23, 04:58 PM
Damn. No pathfinder means no SoP, which had a pretty much explicit allowance for poison-and-potion-based magic, as well as a simple Alchemy Sphere.

Well, you can look at the 3.5's Artificer. Prestige in to Alchemist Savant and/or Master Alchemist. You can make an item of Curse at around the same time a cleric can cast it without any cheese.

Ellrin
2018-05-24, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that Cleric fits pretty well. Instead of one of the normal Greyhawk deities, have him dedicated to voodoo as an idea, and then pick your appropriate domains (with the help of your DM). Your divine symbol could be a voodoo doll or fetish or whatever.

You might want to pick up the Mother Cyst feat from Libris Mortis to add a few thematically relelvant and highly useful spells to your list.

denthor
2018-05-24, 01:37 PM
I would have you be evil.

You would need the skill of some sort of craft skill:
dolls
Performance dance,
Slight of hand

profession artist

Feat enthrall ritual simply allows you to use the above as a Charisma enhancer to bring it all together or the 2nd level spell

Climowitz
2018-05-25, 02:30 PM
I would have you be evil.

You would need the skill of some sort of craft skill:
dolls
Performance dance,
Slight of hand

profession artist

Feat enthrall ritual simply allows you to use the above as a Charisma enhancer to bring it all together or the 2nd level spell

Sorry but i didnt understand whay you meant

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-25, 02:38 PM
Dragon Magazine has a variant cleric called the Ancestral Speaker. You trade out domains, and IIRC turning and heavy armor, for a bunch of thematic, and spiffy, class features as well as good reflex saves. If you refluff then as communicating with the Loa instead of your ancestors.

Edit: They also get 4+Int skill points and can pick any two skills as class skills so you can grab a lot of flexibility there. Grab UMD to use "magic items" or True speech for "words of power."

Venger
2018-05-25, 02:58 PM
If dragon magazine is on the table then you can also take the voodoo domain

denthor
2018-05-25, 04:08 PM
Sorry but i didnt understand whay you meant

If I was the DM there would be qualifications for the class.

Vodoo dolls, long casting times performance needed to keep your followers (source of power in the proper position to fuel your magic)

Xaotiq1
2018-05-26, 10:46 AM
I think Binder from Tome of Magic would be a great Houngan or Mambo. Binding a vestige can grant most of the powers and flavor you're looking for. You may need to refluff some vestiges, YMMV.

noce
2018-05-26, 01:20 PM
Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends is a Ravenloft 3.5 book.
It's published by Sword and Sorcery, the only owner of license to publish Ravenloft 3.5 material. This is to say that the book is as official as a Ravenloft book can be.

In this book, there is the base class Voodan.
It worships Loas (ancient vodoo spirits), can turn various spirits (elementals, fey, undead...), can cast spells from cleric, druid and bard lists, and to cast them it uses something similar to vodoo dolls, which he can also give to allies to let them cast the spell.

It's a flavourful and powerful base class, I highly suggest it if allowed.

thorr-kan
2018-05-27, 08:04 PM
Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends is a Ravenloft 3.5 book.
It's published by Sword and Sorcery, the only owner of license to publish Ravenloft 3.5 material. This is to say that the book is as official as a Ravenloft book can be.

In this book, there is the base class Voodan

<SNIP!>

It's a flavourful and powerful base class, I highly suggest it if allowed.
I have never played this class, but I have read the book. It is a very interesting read, worth considering.

thorr-kan
2018-05-27, 08:07 PM
If dragon magazine is on the table then you can also take the voodoo domain
Venger,

Gotta cite for the issue? I'm curious.

Venger
2018-05-27, 08:48 PM
Venger,

Gotta cite for the issue? I'm curious.

I think it's 310. I'll double check. its granted power is pretty borked. you fashion a voodoo doll of someone using some of their body and you can cast spells on the doll and treat it as though you were zapping the target at I think up to long range.

Climowitz
2018-05-28, 01:47 PM
Updated the post with the final progression of levels.