PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What if Dragonmarked Sorcerer added off-list spells?

Nifft
2018-05-23, 04:27 PM
Dragonmarked Sorcerer is a feat from Dragon #351. You must be a Sorcerer of a dragonmarked race & house to take it.

Here's the benefit:

Benefit: Add all sorcerer spells from your dragonmarked house's least, lesser, and greater dragonmarks to your list of known spells, even if you are too low of level to cast them yet (you cannot cast these spells until you are of the appropriate level to do so). You also gain a physical dragonmark, although this does not provide you with spell-like abilities. Initially, this resembles the least dragonmark of your house. When you gain the ability to cast a spell replicating the power of a lesser or greater dragonmark, your mark changes to the appropriate shape and size.

Here's a list of SLAs broken out by Dragonmark: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1072.0

Some dragonmark SLA lists have good overlap with the Sorcerer list; others do not.

Would anything in specific be overpowered or broken if this feat gave the Sorcerer access to all the spells on the Least / Lesser / Greater Dragonmark SLA list? (Not Siberrys, and not the Visionary / Adept / etc. stuff.)

Troacctid
2018-05-23, 04:30 PM
I think it would be fine. To be honest, I kind of read it that way already.

retaliation08
2018-05-23, 04:31 PM
Are you asking if the feat could add spells known according to their chosen mark, and, in addition, add spells from all the standard dragonmarks to the Sorcerer spell list?

Edit: NVM, after a reread I see what you are saying. I assumed the offlist spells would be added by default as well.

Nifft
2018-05-24, 04:32 PM
I think it would be fine. To be honest, I kind of read it that way already.

Yeah it seems a lot more equitable across the different 'marks to give them all the spells.

Addendum: should there be a feat to grant (some of) the Prodigy / Adept / Visionary spells?

retaliation08
2018-05-24, 05:48 PM
I made a feat that allowed you to do just that, assuming you had those feats.

Nifft
2018-05-24, 05:57 PM
I made a feat that allowed you to do just that, assuming you had those feats.

I think you can't have those feats if you take Dragonmarked Sorcerer.

retaliation08
2018-05-24, 06:03 PM
"Special: Once you take this feat, you may not take Aberrant Dragonmark, Greater Dragonmark, Least Dragonmark, Lesser Dragonmark, nor may you take this feat if you already have one of these. "

Oh yeah, because the prereqs are blocked.

Well, we didn't use action points, so my feat was basically made to emulate Unlock Dragonmark and fuel it with spellslots instead. Not sure if that idea does anything for ya. Its kind of what you have already.

I think it depends on how you interpret "...to use any of the powers of the least mark..."