PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Permanent/Semipermanent Means of Concealing a Scar or Marking

BlackOnyx
2018-05-24, 03:34 AM
As above, what are some methods of concealing a mundane scar, marking, or tattoo in 3.5e?

(Assume the marking itself cannot be healed, re-inked, burned/scarred/removed, or otherwise altered directly. The marking in question may be located on the upper arm, thigh, or torso.)

For the sake of being (A) magically undetectable and (B) long lasting, mundane means are preferred.

I realize a disguise kit & a good disguise check are probably the easiest way to pull this off, but suggestions for any special supplements/compounds/etc. that could boost the effectiveness or duration of said disguise would be much appreciated.

Shadowquad
2018-05-24, 04:36 AM
Assuming the subject can reliably survive a DC 15 fortitude save: Flesh to Ice + Craft(Ice sculpture) check to remove the scar by locally melting and reforming the ice + Ice to Flesh.
The cost would be 900 gp for the spells plus whatever a skilled sculptor would ask. You don't affect the scar directly, and it is permanently removed from your body ; even True Seeing would not pick it up.

Even if the subject dies during the casting of Ice to Flesh, a prepared Revivify spell would fix this for an additional 1450 gp.

edit : Flesh to Ice is even better than Flesh to Stone

Nifft
2018-05-24, 04:46 AM
As above, what are some methods of concealing a mundane scar, marking, or tattoo in 3.5e?

(Assume the marking itself cannot be healed, re-inked, burned/scarred/removed, or otherwise altered directly. The marking in question may be located on the upper arm, thigh, or torso.)

Er... have you tried pants & a shirt?

Or maybe armor?

If you need to go mostly naked, then you could try one of these on: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psychoactiveSkins -- it might not be a magic item, if you're using the variant rule whereby Psionics Is Different.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-24, 05:07 AM
Bloody, painful option: carve away the flesh around and under the scar, removing it whole, then get the chunk of removed flesh regenerated. Cost you a regenerate and the time to find a cleric sadistic enough to perform the procedure.

BlackOnyx
2018-05-24, 05:56 AM
Assuming the subject can reliably survive a DC 15 fortitude save: Flesh to Ice + Craft(Ice sculpture) check to remove the scar by locally melting and reforming the ice + Ice to Flesh.

Bloody, painful option: carve away the flesh around and under the scar, removing it whole, then get the chunk of removed flesh regenerated.

Haha, while I do appreciate the creative approaches, I suppose I should clarify that the intent isn't to get rid of said marking, but only to conceal it. (In other words, a situation where removing the marking is not an option either.)

Er... have you tried pants & a shirt?

Or maybe armor?

While clothes & armor certainly make for a good first line of defense, I was hoping to find something that could conceal a marking in situations where clothing might be temporarily removed (i.e. strip searches, heal checks, changing clothes, and bathing).

If you need to go mostly naked, then you could try one of these on: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psychoactiveSkins -- it might not be a magic item, if you're using the variant rule whereby Psionics Is Different.

Hm...very interesting. I'm not very familiar with psionics, but maybe I'll have to take a closer look.

Wraith
2018-05-24, 07:21 AM
Bloody, painful option: carve away the flesh around and under the scar, removing it whole, then get the chunk of removed flesh regenerated. Cost you a regenerate and the time to find a cleric sadistic enough to perform the procedure.

Would you even need something as comparatively high-level as Regenerate? Ordinary healing spells like Cure Lesser Wounds would probably suffice, so long as you are returned to your hit point maximum and your DM was down with it.

There are rules for causing permanent cosmetic scars in Pathfinder, but in 3.5 it's almost entirely Rule 0'd.

Alternatively, become a 13th level Druid and Thousand Faces it away. Not practical, perhaps, but certainly permanent and non-dispellable. :smallsmile:

Dimers
2018-05-24, 12:30 PM
Art. Scarify your skin in a broader pattern that happens to include the scar. Use the tattoo as one tiny portion of a tattoo masterpiece. This solution is perfectly mundane* but does require that no cultural restrictions stand in the way.

*Tho you could conceivably fabricate tattoo ink into your skin without going through a weeks-long, painful mundane tattooing.

Troacctid
2018-05-24, 12:40 PM
Alternatively, become a 13th level Druid and Thousand Faces it away. Not practical, perhaps, but certainly permanent and non-dispellable. :smallsmile:
More practical would be a single level of Egoist with the Change Shape (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) variant. You could also use the Face-Changer reserve feat, which requires 3rd level spells. Both are supernatural abilities that will detect as magical, but cannot be dispelled.

Nifft
2018-05-24, 02:10 PM
Psionics also has a mobile psionic tattoo (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm) which could cover your scar when you want it to, then move out of the way when you want it displayed.

Lapak
2018-05-24, 07:07 PM
Pump your Bluff check until you can take 10 on "That? It's just a birthmark." and reliably beat most opposed checks.

Goaty14
2018-05-24, 10:45 PM
Make urself invisible. If dey cant see u, dey cant see da mark! :smalltongue: