PDA

View Full Version : Fighter multiclass and downtime, need suggestions

Satsujinki
2018-05-24, 04:37 AM
Thinking for the future of my samurai fighter dwarf. Currently lvl 7, stats as follow:, 18 str, 8 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 15 wis and 9 cha
I was thinking in getting to 8 lvl of fighter and then multiclass forge domain cleric. Suggestion on some other plausible multiclass?
Also, the group will undergo some downtime, anything you think I should ask or try and get from this downtime?

Unoriginal
2018-05-24, 05:09 AM
Well, who is your character? How do you envision them spending their free time?

Satsujinki
2018-05-24, 05:30 AM
Well, who is your character? How do you envision them spending their free time?

A dwarven fighter cavalier of ellenza. On a mission to retrieve a certain man whom turn out to be in league with others whom are willingly trying to wake up the most disgusting divinity ever sealed. Married to a human, he has one child, a boy, at home waiting for him.... If nothing happened to them...

nickl_2000
2018-05-24, 07:02 AM
Thinking for the future of my samurai fighter dwarf. Currently lvl 7, stats as follow:, 18 str, 8 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 15 wis and 9 cha
I was thinking in getting to 8 lvl of fighter and then multiclass forge domain cleric. Suggestion on some other plausible multiclass?
Also, the group will undergo some downtime, anything you think I should ask or try and get from this downtime?

So looking at your stats your choices are
1) Cleric
2) Druid
3) Barbarian

This is all from a pure optimization point.
Levels in Barbarian would net you you very little since, based on your dex, you are clearly a heavy armor user.

Levels in Druid are interesting as it could net you a lot of utility with Wildshapes at level 2, plus some pretty decent out of combat utility in Guidance. That being said, you will have lots and lots of trouble with the Druid armor (sort of) restriction. If you are not allowed to wear metal heavy armor, you need to pick up a full plate made of some natural material. Overall, it won't do a lot to increase your combat utility and probably isn't worth the major pain.

Now we get into the one that makes a lot of sense to me. Cleric. Cleric gives you some sweet out of combat utility with Guidance, Spare the dying to keep friends alive, and most bless (one of the best spells in the game frankly). There are several options here for subclasses that could be good for you.
Forge Domain - Bonus to AC due to magic, crafting at level 2
Grave Domain - Bonus Cantrip from Spare the Dying as bonus action and detect undead
Arcana Domain - Lots and lots of utility cantrips
Nature Domain - 1 Druid Cantrip
Knowledge Domain - Bonus out of combat expertise
War Domain - Bonus action extra attack 2 times per long rest and a decent channel divinity for when you HAVE to hit. This is also extremely flavourful for a traditional anime.

I'm partial to Arcana Domain since you get those out of combat utility cantrips in Mold Earth, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, or shape water, but that is me. From a character persecptive it sounds like Forge or War Domain would make the most sense though and both those are solid choices.

Unoriginal
2018-05-24, 07:17 AM
Does he have any hobby? Somethine he likes to do?

darknite
2018-05-24, 07:23 AM
Something like Fighter 12 / Cleric (Forge) 8 looks pretty nice. You get 3 attacks and Tireless Spirit for your Samurai and some good armor boosts + a d8 of damage for one of your turn's attacks from Forge Cleric. It's tempting to push Cleric to 9th level for the 5th level spell but you lose an ASI. Not sure what kind of weapon you use but you will likely want to consider the Warcaster feat if you use a shield.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-24, 07:40 AM
Sounds like you would spend your downtime with your family if possible, or writing to them, or something.

Check with your GM. Ours is pretty generous with Downtime activities and would grant an inspiration die or two for spending quality time with your family.

Something akin to the religious rights.

That being said, our party loves Downtime. A great chance to build stuff, buy stuff, meet people, and research stuff.

We have a Dwarf who runs a bar during his downtime.

Unoriginal
2018-05-24, 07:49 AM
You could also spend downtime learning about the man you're searching, along with his group and the entity they want to free.

Vogie
2018-05-24, 08:22 AM
You could use the ability to MC a reaction to something that happened in the campaign, Such as:
He witnesses rampant carnage and something snaps on the inside. This could be caused by the BBEG, or something that happened offscreen that the party stumbles on. All of his training didn't prepare him for the savagery, and he MCs into Barbarian to mechanically show this. If you intend to go up to 3 in Barb,
He or the party isn't able to save someone, and he feels like it's his fault. This could be a PC actually dying & having to reroll, or NPC(s) of various levels of importance. His lack of ability to do anything other to destroy causes him to actively seek out clerical training to make sure that doesn't happen again. Perhaps it's a failure of arms or armor (forge), failure to be able to heal (life or grave), the presence of a celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend (arcane), or the presence of a darkness- or obscurity-based enemy (light).