PDA

View Full Version : Natural attacks

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-24, 08:11 AM
I have read the srd and I just want to ask here to make sure my brain has fully wrapped around the idea.

cut from SRD " The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). "

I.e

If I had a char with 4 claws/ 1 Bite/ 1 gore/ 1 sting / 2 slams (wings) /2 tentacles

I could attack at full bab with primary natural weapon/'s 2 claws/tentacles.

the rest then would become secondary attacks taking -5/-2/0 with respected feats to lower the negative down appropriately.

Is this correct or did i misread/understand the srd?

I also have a few questions as well.

What happens when I have 2 sets of natural weapons (claws/tentacles) and the text giving them to me both say they are primary weapons? do I choose the one i want as prim and they both get bab and the other set of prim weapons become secondary?

Darrin
2018-05-24, 08:29 AM
If I had a char with 4 claws/ 1 Bite/ 1 gore/ 1 sting / 2 slams (wings) /2 tentacles

I could attack at full bab with primary natural weapon/'s 2 claws/tentacles.

the rest then would become secondary attacks taking -5/-2/0 with respected feats to lower the negative down appropriately.

Is this correct or did i misread/understand the srd?

Yes. Your primary attack is at full BAB, all your other natural weapons become secondary attacks with a -5 attack penalty and 1/2 Str bonus on damage.

What happens when I have 2 sets of natural weapons (claws/tentacles) and the text giving them to me both say they are primary weapons? do I choose the one i want as prim and they both get bab and the other set of prim weapons become secondary?

It's hard to tell without looking specifically at the text that gave you a primary natural weapon. But yes, you choose one of your natural attacks to be primary, and everything else becomes secondary. Certain pairs of natural weapons, usually claws, can both be primary, but this isn't automatic if the text that gave you the claws doesn't mention it. Same for tentacles... I'd have to see the text that grants them as natural weapons.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-24, 08:48 AM
Deep Spawn from Lords of Madness

The other is draconic template but rereading the section it doesn't state if its primary or secondary

Darrin
2018-05-24, 09:20 AM
Deep Spawn from Lords of Madness

Well, that one's clear enough. Two tentacles as primary natural weapons.

The other is draconic template but rereading the section it doesn't state if its primary or secondary

Hrrmm. The text is pretty dodgy on what's primary and what's secondary. However, it gives you the option to attack with your claws (plural) OR your primary natural attack (the tentacles), so it doesn't explicitly say they are primary but I think that was the intention. It also refers to claw attacks as plural without mentioning that one claw is primary and the other has to be secondary, so I think you can say both claws are primary. So yes, I believe you get to choose: two claws as primary or two tentacles as primary. Once you've chosen which is primary, all your other natural weapons become secondary attacks.