PDA

View Full Version : Warlock multiclass help.

Mydude
2018-05-24, 09:08 AM
In my current campaign I'm playing a level four hexablade, pact of the blade warlock aarsamar. I plan on multiclassing soon and am open to any ideas that you guys have on what to multiclass into.

Vogie
2018-05-24, 09:08 AM
What are your stats & overall concept you're leaning for?

Mydude
2018-05-24, 09:26 AM
What are your stats & overall concept you're leaning for?

Str:14
Dex:14
Con:13
Int:14
Wis:11
Cha:18

My character is Hels champion and she's obsessed with money and alcohol. She thinks of herself before others and is just a bitch. And she strives for power.

Vogie
2018-05-24, 11:53 AM
I assume you'll go to Hexblade 5 for extra attack via Thirsting Blade

2 levels in Paladin - Emphasize the "Champion" - Gives Fighting style, ability to heal herself OR stop being drunk, gives more smiting.
If you make it to 3rd level Paladin, you can use Oath of Treachery if Hel is Loki-ish, or Oathbreaker if Hel is more of a 'lord of the dead.' Also, a twisted Oath of Vengeance for a Ghost-Rider-esque character

2 levels in Wizard. This'll give you more spells that you could use that you don't want to cast using Pact magic slots

War, for effortless mini-shield or bonuses to saving throws, and +2 to initiative
Conjuration, giving her the ability to simply create things other than weapons, allowing her to only spend money on things of value
Divination for Super-Pseudo-Advantage, refluffed as something akin to Dark One's Own luck

Rogue may be fun, provided you use a finesse or ranged weapon. You usually would want just a level or 2, but if you do get a third for the Sneak attack damage bump, you can:

Arcane Trickster for more spells and some shenanigans
Scout to be more slippery
Swashbuckler for the +3 to initiative and able to sneak attack loners without advantage

Fighters are the usual dip, going for the Fighting style and action surge, which are universally useful. Other than the "default" BM pick, you could:
If an archer, pick arcane archer. It effectively gives you 2 pseudo-smites per short rest, OR shadow arrow can allow you to get the Darkness-Dark Sight combo briefly, and a Banish is always something useful in your back pocket
Cavalier if you're a tank and/or always in something's face without the Darkness combo giving them an issue.
Samurai for fighting spirit, giving you on-demand advantage & THP, which works regardless of weapon or party role

MephitBlue
2018-05-24, 12:07 PM
I'm currently playing a Swashbuckler Rogue / Hexblade. It's a fun build, but you get the most advantage from it if you take your first level in rogue for the expertise and extra skills. I currently have 3 levels in each class, but plan on taking Hexblade (Pact of the Blade) up to 5 and then the rest in Rogue.

Paladin. Bard, and Sorcerer are classic classes to multi-class with a Warlock since they are all Charisma based. Become a Lore Bard or Valor Bard may open up some interesting spell casting options for you.

Kommissar
2018-05-27, 11:41 AM
In my current campaign I'm playing a level four hexablade, pact of the blade warlock aarsamar. I plan on multiclassing soon and am open to any ideas that you guys have on what to multiclass into.

In the campaign we just started I'm going Hexblade til 5 then swapping to College of Whispers Bard. You can become the ultimate infiltrator with Mask of Many Faces/Mantle of Whispers and you have Psychic Blades for an amazing damage boost when needed. I'm undecided between a Thisting blade/Agonizing blast gish build or an Eldritch smite/Improved pact weapon assassin build.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-05-27, 12:37 PM
In the campaign we just started I'm going Hexblade til 5 then swapping to College of Whispers Bard. You can become the ultimate infiltrator with Mask of Many Faces/Mantle of Whispers and you have Psychic Blades for an amazing damage boost when needed. I'm undecided between a Thisting blade/Agonizing blast gish build or an Eldritch smite/Improved pact weapon assassin build.

take them all. You should be able to have 4 invocations at level 7 warlock. Take the rest as bard.

Kommissar
2018-05-27, 01:01 PM
take them all. You should be able to have 4 invocations at level 7 warlock. Take the rest as bard.

Well, that's just greedy! :wink:

I'm spending 1 EI on Mask and I'd like to hit bard5 by level 10 for the 3d6 psychic dmg and the ability to refresh inspiration on a short rest.

Mydude
2018-05-27, 06:10 PM
So I've thought about it and I'm definitely going paladin. Should I just go to level two and get the fighting styles or should I go further? If so what oath do you think I should take. Thanks for the help dudes.

Composer99
2018-05-27, 08:26 PM
So I've thought about it and I'm definitely going paladin. Should I just go to level two and get the fighting styles or should I go further? If so what oath do you think I should take. Thanks for the help dudes.

The oaths that best fit the character you've described are Vengeance, Conquest, or Oathbreaker, depending upon the nature of Hel and what material you're allowed to use. Treachery might also be appropriate, but only if your DM allows Unearthed Arcana material. With that in mind, I think you should look at those oaths and decide the following:

(1) Is the 15th level oath feature something that appeals to you more than taking that many levels in warlock? If not, don't plan to go that deep into paladin.

(2) Is the 7th level oath feature something that appeals to you? If not, again, don't plan to go that deep into paladin.

(3) Do you find the 3rd level channel divinity options appealing? If not, stick to a 2-level dip for fighting style, smites, and spellcasting. I should say that Conquest and Treachery channel divinity options seem the best thematic fits for a character who desires power and who puts herself before others.

Outside of a 2-level dip, you have some good reasons to hit 4, 8, or 12 - for ASIs. If you go for 12th level, you're also getting 1d8 radiant damage on every hit with a melee weapon at 11th. That might not really fit the Hel's champion thing, though. That being said, if (a) you plan on taking a few levels of paladin and then going back to warlock and (b) you expect the campaign to reach high levels, you might want to stop at 3rd level in paladin, in order to get your 9th-level spell Mystic Arcanum, which is surely worth more than an ASI, especially since your ability scores are already excellent.

If you decide to go past 4th level in paladin, you want to make sure you swap out thirsting blade invocation to avoid the redundancy with Extra Attack, if you've taken it.