PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis is the best super power, someone prove me wrong.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-24, 10:54 AM
Every time someone asks what's the best super power I always say "Telekinesis is the best super power" without thinking twice.

Why?

Well, it's a great power to be a super hero but it's also an awesome power to just be an ordinary lazy person.

The tv remote is too far? Tk it away.
Can't find the remote? Tk to change the channel.
Too lazy to move? Tk to float away.
Some tries to hurt you our rob you? Tk them to space.
And so on...

It's just very practical and has a lot of utilitarian uses.

Besides with it you can mimic other powers.

Who don't want to fly? That's mankind’s dream since forever, but if you choose flying as a power you can do nothing but that. With telekinesis you can fly and do a bunch of other stuff.

Want to be super strong? Tactile Telekinesis got you covered.
Super lucky? Subconscious telekinetic field.
Burn stuff? Move the molecules very fast.
Freeze stuff? Do the opposite.

So to me telekinesis is the best super power hands down (no pun intended).

Bastian Weaver
2018-05-24, 11:13 AM
Eh. Reality Manipulation beats it with one Power Stunt tied behind its back.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-24, 11:19 AM
Reality warping can bite your own ass. Gopd luck fixing the fabric of space and time after you undone it.

Chen
2018-05-24, 11:21 AM
Stopping time also blows telekinesis out of the water. Forget even the time travel aspects of it, just being able to stop it.

The Eye
2018-05-24, 12:58 PM
It may be the most versatile and most useful but it's not the best nor the most powerful.

Xuc Xac
2018-05-24, 02:34 PM
A telekinetic can do a lot of things. They'll also do those things whenever a telepath wants them to. A telepath can mentally dominate the telekinetic (and anyone else with useful powers) and use them like a toolbox.

JNAProductions
2018-05-24, 02:38 PM
Stopping time also blows telekinesis out of the water. Forget even the time travel aspects of it, just being able to stop it.

Yeah, Imma vote Time Control. (I mean, obviously Reality Warping is BEST, since it can do anything, but I assume we're limited in what we can choose.)

Need more time to take a test? Stop time. Need to make money? Go in the future, Google stock histories, go back and get rich. Need to better the world? Go a hundred years in the future and bring back buttloads of medical technology.

Edit: Also, you're apparently assuming you have microscopic levels of control over your Telekinesis. I find that a touch unlikely, if for no other reason than that it's impossible for the human eye to see or otherwise observe individual molecules unaided.

Bicorn
2018-05-24, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Imma vote Time Control. (I mean, obviously Reality Warping is BEST, since it can do anything, but I assume we're limited in what we can choose.)

Need more time to take a test? Stop time. Need to make money? Go in the future, Google stock histories, go back and get rich. Need to better the world? Go a hundred years in the future and bring back buttloads of medical technology.

Edit: Also, you're apparently assuming you have microscopic levels of control over your Telekinesis. I find that a touch unlikely, if for no other reason than that it's impossible for the human eye to see or otherwise observe individual molecules unaided.

Aren't you afraid of causing paradoxes? Or getting stuck in time loops?

Besides isn't the key of mind powers not using your eyes but letting your mind take control? I don't think anyone needs to see stuff to affect it with mind powers.

Some Android
2018-05-24, 06:41 PM
A telekinetic can do a lot of things. They'll also do those things whenever a telepath wants them to. A telepath can mentally dominate the telekinetic (and anyone else with useful powers) and use them like a toolbox.

Not to nitpick but do you mean mindcontrol? I thought telepathy could only communicate mentally. Someone could in theory try and ignore the commands unless it's absolute mindcontrol.

Although I could be wrong. Is there a distinct difference between mindcontrol and telepathy. Also what's Donquixote Doflamingo's specific devil fruit power again? I feel like I've seen him control other people's bodies.

Tvtyrant
2018-05-24, 06:56 PM
The best superpower is being happy.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-24, 10:43 PM
Vulcan's energy manipulation can mimic telekinesis and telepathy and does cool energy manipulation stuff so... I think it wins.

DataNinja
2018-05-24, 10:50 PM
Look, I think if anyone here could prove you wrong, then they wouldn't be posting about it on an internet forum. Instead, they'd be having fun with their awesome superpower. :smallamused:

gooddragon1
2018-05-24, 11:27 PM
With reality warping, telekinesis, and other powers activated by will... what if you don't have complete control over your will. You think of something idly and it happens.

Peelee
2018-05-24, 11:29 PM
Every time someone asks what's the best super power I always say "Telekinesis is the best super power" without thinking twice.

Why?

Well, it's a great power to be a super hero but it's also an awesome power to just be an ordinary lazy person.

The tv remote is too far? Tk it away.
Can't find the remote? Tk to change the channel.
Too lazy to move? Tk to float away.
Some tries to hurt you our rob you? Tk them to space.
And so on...

It's just very practical and has a lot of utilitarian uses.

Besides with it you can mimic other powers.

Who don't want to fly? That's mankind’s dream since forever, but if you choose flying as a power you can do nothing but that. With telekinesis you can fly and do a bunch of other stuff.

Want to be super strong? Tactile Telekinesis got you covered.
Super lucky? Subconscious telekinetic field.
Burn stuff? Move the molecules very fast.
Freeze stuff? Do the opposite.

So to me telekinesis is the best super power hands down (no pun intended).

Ok, you assume a HELLUVA lot here.

First, you assume telekinesis requires no expenditure of effort at all. Which is, frankly, silly. Your telling me that the effort to telekinetically float yourself around takes less effort than just getting your ass up and walking? Or that you can launch a guy 100km up without breaking a sweat? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Second, you assume ridiculous level of control. Move molecules very fast? How in the hell is your telekinesis fine tuned enough to move molecules? You literally cannot comprehend how small a molecule (any molecule) is. The human brain just isn't equipped to handle numbers of that magnitude. Why would you be able to telekinetically move molecules any better than you are able to move molecules with your hands?

For that matter, third off: why is your telekinetic power so much stronger than your muscular power? You're assuming mental super strength, but there's got to be a limit on how much telekinetic strength you can have, and there's no reason to think that you would be able to effortlessly lift cars with your mind. Again, why would your ability here be significantly increased compared to your normal ability?

Your idea of telekinesis isn't one power, it's a bunch of powers that you're just calling a single power. Which is why you're so easily able to rationalize away how you can do so many things with it; it's way more than just telekinesis, but you're ignoring that because it's convenient.

QED.

ETA:

I cannot agree hard enough with Tvtyrant.

AmberVael
2018-05-25, 06:01 AM
I dunno that nitpicking about the level of power being assigned to an imagined superpower is very useful, guys. Yeah, it sounds like really high power, really fine control telekinesis. Arguing that its too much... too much compared to what? All our real superpowers? The ability to control time or alter reality? Both of those sound really high power and require fine control with senses we don't really have too. :smalltongue:

For my part, I settled on shapeshifting a long time ago. Even assuming you can't just defy physics or biology with it, it opens up a lot of possibilities. You might even be able to avoid aging, which could be cool.

Misery Esquire
2018-05-25, 06:11 AM
The ability to conclusively win arguments, for all time. It can never be brought back up. It is irrevocably resolved in your favour. Even if your opinion changes at a later date it is retroactively and unassailably correct.

Proof ; with this ability no one could disagree about telekinesis being the best.
Secondary proof ; despite the paradoxical nature of the above statement interacting with the superpower of winning arguments being the best, everyone is still unable to do, say, or think anything contrariwise.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 09:33 AM
I dunno that nitpicking about the level of power being assigned to an imagined superpower is very useful, guys. Yeah, it sounds like really high power, really fine control telekinesis. Arguing that its too much... too much compared to what? All our real superpowers? The ability to control time or alter reality? Both of those sound really high power and require fine control with senses we don't really have too. :smalltongue:

As opposed to arbitrarily assigning powers unlimited abilities? I don't think it's unreasonable to say, for instance, super speed doesn't mean you can run around the world five times in a single sprint, it just means you can move incredibly fast, and you'd need super endurance in addition if you want to be like Flash.

Without debating reasonable limitations, then it's a pointless thought exercise. Why, my mind control is the best power ever, because I can mind control everybody at once and also tell where they are in the world and also it has unlimited range so I can tell if aliens exist because I can feel their minds and control them as well and since I have access to their minds I can understand their language and create all the technologies they have and also I have the ridiculous telekinesis power described because I can control that person as well.

Or we could agree to reasonable limitations and not have a bunch of nerds trying to outdo each other with more perfecter powers that can do everything.

JNAProductions
2018-05-25, 10:24 AM
Peelee, I have a question!

What does ETA mean in the context of your first post? Because the only initialism I know for ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 10:27 AM
Peelee, I have a question!

What does ETA mean in the context of your first post? Because the only initialism I know for ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival.

Edited To Add. The vast majority of my edits are either typo correction or minor rewording, so when I add anything substantial I tag it.

JNAProductions
2018-05-25, 10:32 AM
Edited To Add. The vast majority of my edits are either typo correction or minor rewording, so when I add anything substantial I tag it.

Ah. Oki.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 10:34 AM
Ah. Oki.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Anytime! That's my superpower.

Arutema
2018-05-25, 12:19 PM
Having been bedridden with a fever the last few days, I think Wolverine-style healing/disease immunity/immortality might be the best superpower.

Goaty14
2018-05-25, 12:52 PM
The ability to steal somebody else's superpower.

1: Find the guy with telekinesis
2: Steal his telekinesis
3: *Evil Laugh*
4: ???
5: Profit
6: When you get bored/telekinesis turns out to suck, go get a new superpower.

Stealing Superpowers is the best superpower, somebody prove me wrong.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 12:54 PM

What if you're the only one with a superpower?

Tvtyrant
2018-05-25, 03:02 PM

Everyone else on the planet's superpower is not having one.

Amazon
2018-05-25, 03:45 PM
I believe that girl from that Stephen King book was able to set things on fire with Telekinesis, maybe that's where S@tanicoaldo got the idea. But I agree setting things on fire with your mind should be another set of powers.

Anyway, to me mind control is disgusting and unethical, anyone who thinks that's a great super power to have should really consider their moral compass.

I think teleportation is the best super power, I would love to have a power like that movie "Jumper" It's a bad movie but the best example of how fun and overpowered teleportation can be.

Constant happiness may be pathological, imagine how curse like would be someone who can feel nothing but happiness.

And that's why reality warping is so dangerous someone could use their powers to make the entire universe nothing but happy people, this may seem noble but that would be terrible, other feelings are important too.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 03:55 PM
Anyway, to me mind control is disgusting and unethical, anyone who thinks that's a great super power to have should really consider their moral compass.

I agree, since I only pulled it out to make a point.

Amazon
2018-05-25, 03:59 PM
I agree, since I only pulled it out to make a point.

I was talking about Xuc Xac.

But anyway I belive Jean Grey is able to do all the stuff th OP said in both the comics and the movies. :smallconfused:

Also, just look at what Akira and Tetsuo Shima are able to do, telekinesis is very powerful.

Peelee
2018-05-25, 04:17 PM
I was talking about Xuc Xac.

Whoops! My bad.

Goaty14
2018-05-25, 05:17 PM
What if you're the only one with a superpower?

Everyone else on the planet's superpower is not having one.

Then obviously 1) You're not looking hard enough or 2) You're also immortal, having sucked out everybody else's superpowers now that nobody has one.

In a discussion about superpowers, I'm going to assume this isn't the 1/1,000 time you're the only guy with it. Even then, you're doing pretty good in the other 999, right?

Not really. There are plenty of good actions that can be done via mind control (for starters, you could cure addiction, "convince" people out of suicide, and probably rid the world of evil by making your way around like ghandi). However, yes, there are plenty of evil ways to use mind control, but what sets the good/evil applicability away from any other superpower?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-25, 05:30 PM

Moral compass is considered. Moral compass is functioning adequately. Conclusion: Mind Control is an amazing power to have. Subtle and effective, although I would highly recommend adopting an a-typical moral system or simply embracing amorality entirely.

Amazon
2018-05-25, 05:38 PM
Not really. There are plenty of good actions that can be done via mind control (for starters, you could cure addiction, "convince" people out of suicide, and probably rid the world of evil by making your way around like ghandi). However, yes, there are plenty of evil ways to use mind control, but what sets the good/evil applicability away from any other superpower?

No, just no. You can't force someone to be good. That's just wrong.

Addiction, suicide and evil are just symptoms of deep psycological problems, if you take that away you won't solve the real problem, you will just cripple people doing unauthorized mental lobotomies with your powers.

However, yes, there are plenty of evil ways to use mind control, but what sets the good/evil applicability away from any other superpower?

No, there are only evil ways to use mind control since they go against freedom and consent.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-25, 05:49 PM
No, there are only evil ways to use mind cotnrol sicne they go againts freedom and consent.

Jailing a criminal is done without the consent of the criminal and restricts their freedoms. Issues are not easily boiled down to sound bites.

Strigon
2018-05-25, 05:56 PM
No, there are only evil ways to use mind cotnrol sicne they go againts freedom and consent.

A statement which is only true if we take freedom to be the highest moral imperative, above not only the individual's life, but the lives of everyone around them as well. Certainly, there are some who believe this, but many who do not.
If there were someone who was about to commit mass murder, and I mind controlled them to not do that, and convinced them that they want to go home and rethink their life, I would sleep very well that night.

Amazon
2018-05-25, 05:59 PM
A statement which is only true if we take freedom to be the highest moral imperative, above not only the individual's life, but the lives of everyone around them as well. Certainly, there are some who believe this, but many who do not.
If there were someone who was about to commit mass murder, and I mind controlled them to not do that, and convinced them that they want to go home and rethink their life, I would sleep very well that night.

And where do we draw the line?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-25, 06:10 PM

I just said moral problems cannot be distilled down to sound bites. For a more formal answer look up the Sorites Paradox.

Elanasaurus
2018-05-25, 06:21 PM
I think Xuc Xac's moral compass is fine. He was just saying "Mind Control beats Telekinesis" because "Mind Control User beats Telekinesis User".

Maybe a rule for Mind Control would be to use it in such a way that lives are saved as a direct(immediate?) result, or to stop someone from doing evil to someone else. So maybe it wouldn't be used against addiction.
:elan:

Strigon
2018-05-25, 08:05 PM

I don't know. Nor, frankly, do I care; we don't have to know exactly where the line is to identify that a person's right to not be killed horribly is more important than a person's right to want to kill people horribly.

Xuc Xac
2018-05-25, 11:18 PM
I think Xuc Xac's moral compass is fine. He was just saying "Mind Control beats Telekinesis" because "Mind Control User beats Telekinesis User".

*stares intensely at Elanasaurus while whispering* Good. Good. Now tell them how handsome I am...

Goaty14
2018-05-26, 12:17 AM
No, just no. You can't force someone to be good. That's just wrong.

You're mischaracterizing my imaginary super-hero-y self. I wouldn't force anybody to be good, I'd just force them to not be evil. If a random citizen goes through their entire life as is without spite, but also without doing good deeds, that's A-OK. Please enlighten me as to how removing mortal taint from society is "wrong".

Addiction, suicide and evil are just symptoms of deep psycological problems, if you take that away you won't solve the real problem, you will just cripple people (by) doing unauthorized mental lobotomies with your powers.

Sure, stopping a single person from committing suicide/murder/whatever won't stop the root of the effect (however, stopping others from causing the root, such as bullying, may stop it in a minority of cases). I'll admit that such a superpower might not be perfect or as far-reaching as a utopia-like environment would have it, but the effects would be entirely positive, no?

No, there are only evil ways to use mind control since they go against freedom and consent.
Maybe from your chaotic point of view...
Somehow I am to believe that stopping evil from ever existing (mind you, without forcing people under my will, nor giving them the mental capabilities of a robot) is an evil deed because stopping them from pursuing evil acts is restricting their free will?

Specifically, tell me the worst thing that could happen due to everybody being unable to commit evil deeds.

Peelee
2018-05-26, 01:13 AM
Then obviously 1) You're not looking hard enough or 2) You're also immortal, having sucked out everybody else's superpowers now that nobody has one.

In a discussion about superpowers, I'm going to assume this isn't the 1/1,000 time you're the only guy with it. Even then, you're doing pretty good in the other 999, right?

Nope, nope, and nope. At least in response to me. I specifically asked about that 1 in 1000 chance.:smalltongue:

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 02:06 AM
How about having a segment of your brain that can think like a computer, has limitless storage capacity, and regularly updates its software as you sleep?

+Perfect reflexes for the puzzle and dragons game
+Easily learn almost anything
+No memory degradation over time

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-05-26, 04:35 AM
Omipotence is the best superpower, but it would get beaten out if there was a word that said "omnipotence and also omniscience". (Godhood doesn't quite cover it, between all the different forms that concept takes.)

I think that's kind of the problem with the general "which superpower is best" question. It counts as one superpower if you can describe it as a single concept. It's ultimately for a large part a semantics discussion.

We could try different categories based on different aspects of the superpower

When using weight classes based on total energy expenditure telekinesis is pretty sweet. The mechanical energy used is less than what the movement would have cost you if you had walked over there. I ones did some back of an envelope calculations that for instance shape shifting costs the caloric equivalence of an entire December in one sitting per shift. If you have a shifter and a kineticist that can properly use up the same amount of energy per second my money is on the kineticist.

Classed by plausibility telekinesis is probably somewhere middle of the pack, maybe short of that depending on what else you're listing. Super strength comes from muscles, structures we know exist and structures that can provide strength. The mechanism for telekinesis is rather vague. The effect is clear, picking things up is obviously possible, but a good mechanic by which individual objects can be singled out for manipulation from a distance is a little tricky.

And then we could try narrative potential, or stuff like that.

Anyway, omnipotence.

Manga Shoggoth
2018-05-26, 06:49 AM
You're mischaracterizing my imaginary super-hero-y self. I wouldn't force anybody to be good, I'd just force them to not be evil.

So, you'd Google them?

Goaty14
2018-05-26, 12:43 PM
So, you'd Google them?

I'm not quite sure what you're implying here :smallconfused:

Peelee
2018-05-26, 12:47 PM

IIRC, Google's mission statement is "don't be evil."

ETA: Huh, apparently it was just in their code of conduct. And, more interestingly, it's been removed. Funny, that.

Manga Shoggoth
2018-05-26, 02:04 PM

IIRC, Google's mission statement is "don't be evil."

ETA: Huh, apparently it was just in their code of conduct. And, more interestingly, it's been removed. Funny, that.

Yes, indeed - it is a reference to the 'ol motto. Removed in April 2018, apparently - although I was of the impression it had been removed earlier.

Thrawn4
2018-05-26, 05:42 PM
Healing.
While everybody has fun flying or being invincible, I give people a second chance and erase the suffering around me.

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 06:00 PM
Healing.
While everybody has fun flying or being invincible, I give people a second chance and erase the suffering around me.

Hope you're immune to diseases that could instantly debilitate you and that you have a strong stomach for seeing certain things because if you're handing that out for free everyone's going to want in on that action.

Conversely, the computerized mind segment allows surgical precision and quick learning of medical techniques. So you could be a doctor if you wanted to.

Shamash
2018-05-26, 06:54 PM
Moving stuff your mind is very rad, but this is my counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/Spsu46q9vek?t=31s

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 07:05 PM

Going to need a lot of secondary powers for that one (too much profanity, imo, on the cracked.com article so I won't link it):

Super Speed

Hey Guys, Check This Out!

So let's settle for a lesser super power. How about super speed, like the Flash? Outrun bullet trains, bullets and/or bullets being fired by trains. You can get anywhere you need to be faster on foot than most people can drive.

Oh Snap...

You may have noticed after your little impression of the Flash that your whole body's wreathed in fire. It's the friction of your body rubbing against a whole bunch of air molecules. The rest of us mortals aren't bothered by that because we move at the pace of a narcoleptic snail compared to you.

So this is the Flash, but fire burned his costume. The fire also gave him a mustache, somehow.

But, hey, maybe you've got some kind of fireproof suit. But Newton is still going to find a way to mess you up. And if you thought friction was a bear, wait until you hear what inertia is going to do to you. Let's say you hear about a totally awesome party across town and there's a girl there who likes you. Zoom, off you go. But wait, what's that gooey stuff on the ground behind you?

That, my friend, is your internal organs being liquefied from approximately 25 Gs and pushed out through your pores. Not that you'll care because the moment you do your immediate, Flash-like stop, your brain will go slamming into the front of your skull.

OK, so maybe you've got a special suit that is both fireproof and somehow overcomes the forces of inertia. For super speed to be of any use to you, your perception would have to be sped up as well. Otherwise the landscape will go blurring past and you'll wind up pulverizing yourself on the nearest wall like a fly on a windshield.

OK, so fine, let's say you've got super sped-up senses to go with your super speed. Now your problem is that when you're functioning at normal speed, the rest of the world will seem impossibly slow to your super-fast brain. You watched The Matrix, right? Of course you did, don't play that game. Well, imagine what it would be like if you were in bullet time all the time. Thanks to your sped-up perceptions, everything takes place in super slow motion, including the waiting room at the dentist.

Shamash
2018-05-26, 07:36 PM
Going to need a lot of secondary powers for that one (too much profanity, imo, on the cracked.com article so I won't link it):

You are assuming that superpowers need follow the rules of physics... Maybe they just don't have to :smallsmile:

Still I would gladly accept all those secondary powers! :) Is there a rule that I can't?

Besides I think that ALL super powers need secondary powers don't they?

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 07:44 PM
You are assuming that superpowers need follow the rules of physics... Maybe they just don't have to :smallsmile:

Still I would gladly accept all those secondary powers! :) Is there a rule that I can't?

Besides I think that ALL super powers need secondary powers don't they?

Probably, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd say the meta-problem(?) of having people aware of you having the power in question at least requires secondary powers.

Goaty14
2018-05-26, 08:28 PM
Yes, indeed - it is a reference to the 'ol motto. Removed in April 2018, apparently - although I was of the impression it had been removed earlier.

Oh yes, though that'd have problems with moral subjectivity so while "don't do evil" would be a catch-all for citizens with the good ideals, "how about you don't do X" done a bunch of times would probably work better.

Goblin Slayer
2018-05-26, 08:58 PM
Maybe Google decided to be evil and did not want to seem like hypocrite so they stop pitting that on the memo

Peelee
2018-05-26, 10:05 PM
Maybe Google decided to be evil and did not want to seem like hypocrite so they stop pitting that on the memo

I would be very impressed if that line was stopping evil, and removing it permitted evil.

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 10:16 PM
I would be very impressed if that line was stopping evil, and removing it permitted evil.

Reminds me a little of this:
"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape."

Elanasaurus
2018-05-27, 11:55 AM
*stares intensely at Elanasaurus while whispering* Good. Good. Now tell them how handsome I am...
Well, according to your profile, you're a Bugbear, so the most I'm willing to say is that Oona would definitely be attracted to you if she met you.

*ignores the staring by staring intensely at the wall behind Xuc Xac*
:elan:

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-27, 05:03 PM

Wow, I didn't watch this movie because it kind of looked like sh** but this scene is awesome! I may have to watch it now :D

Plus one
2018-06-01, 07:25 PM

Electrical impulses in the brain potentially can be read, modified or stopped by someone with electrical control. Electronic locks can be bypassed, EMF shielding or EMP and basic electrical attacks.
So basically this would combine proffesor X, Magneto and Karkash (the Bolt of Kavia). With some minor additions.

The Fury
2018-06-01, 10:12 PM
Telekinesis is a damn cool power, though it's never the one I'd pick for myself. Chalk it up to personal preference, but I'd go with regeneration. Now I can beat pretty much anyone. By attrition. In a really painful, really un-flashy way. I guess I can be a somewhat successful hero without crippling hospital bills though.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 01:13 PM
My whole point is that I would never be a super hero, just a lazy person with a pratical power.

Besides you still feel pain with regeration, while with tk you can just set up a force field and not get hurt in the first place.

Peelee
2018-06-02, 01:40 PM
My whole point is that i would never be a super hero, just a lazy person with a pratical power.

Besides yous till feel pain with regeration, while with tk you can just set up a force field and not get hurt in the first place.

If the only kind of pain you've ever had was due to external forces, I envy you.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 02:07 PM
If the only kind of pain you've ever had was due to external forces, I envy you.

Can regeneration prevent internal pain?

The Fury
2018-06-02, 02:10 PM
My whole point is that i would never be a super hero, just a lazy person with a pratical power.

I guess that's where you and I differ. For my part, if I got a super power of some kind, I'd at least try hero-ing for a while. Granted, there is a very good chance that I'd actually be awful at it, but whatever.

Besides yous till feel pain with regeration, while with tk you can just set up a force field and not get hurt in the first place.

True, though with a TK barrier you'd probably have bad guys get frustrated enough to keep trying to break through, maybe even escalating things. With regeneration, bad guys might get too grossed out by seeing someone put themselves back together to keep on fighting.

...I assume that it can't?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 02:20 PM
Let's say you have regearation you might get trapped inside a collapsing building or a cave, no way to get out using regearation it may even make you get in a worst position regenerating lost limps whithout space for them.

With tk you can just lift the rocks away.

I guess that's where you and I differ. For my part, if I got a super power of some kind, I'd at least try hero-ing for a while. Granted, there is a very good chance that I'd actually be awful at it, but whatever.

True, though with a TK barrier you'd probably have bad guys get frustrated enough to keep trying to break through, maybe even escalating things. With regeneration, bad guys might get too grossed out by seeing someone put themselves back together to keep on fighting.

You are still in pain! You still got hurt, is that worth?

...I assume that it can't?

I was talking to Peelee. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2018-06-02, 02:30 PM

Depends on the internal pain. A headache, probably not. A slipped disc, probably. Me, I'd care less about regeneration than pain mitigation. Of course, that's probably a result of having chronic pain, so it's not as if things like telekinesis or time manipulation would help much there either.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 02:41 PM
Depends on the internal pain. A headache, probably not. A slipped disc, probably. Me, I'd care less about regeneration than pain mitigation. Of course, that's probably a result of having chronic pain, so it's not as if things like telekinesis or time manipulation would help much there either.

Then, what were going on about with you comment? :smallconfused:

Peelee
2018-06-02, 02:51 PM
Then, what were going on about with you comment? :smallconfused:

Well, you could as, "I find it tiresome that you claim that telekinesis can do practically everything and handwave away things that it likely can't do?" Conversely, you could also read it at face value, in that if you've never had pain caused by non-external factors, then I really and truly do envy you.

Either way is fine, really.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 02:55 PM
No, I get you beign an ass part. I just don't get what I said that gave you the idea that the only kind of pain I've ever had was due to external forces. What does that has to do with anything I said? :smallconfused:

Peelee
2018-06-02, 03:06 PM
No, I get you beign an ass part. I just don't get what I said that gave you the idea that the only kind of pain I've ever had was due to external forces. What does that has to do with anything I said? :smallconfused:

Because what you said:

Besides you still feel pain with regeration, while with tk you can just set up a force field and not get hurt in the first place.
implies that if you do not get hurt by external forces, you do not feel pain.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 03:11 PM
implies that if you do not get hurt by external forces, you do not feel pain.

Not it doesn't, it implies you won't feel the type of pain caused by wounds your regeneration will cure since you won't have wounds in the first place. :smallwink:

Peelee
2018-06-02, 03:28 PM
Not it doesn't, it implies you won't feel the type of pain caused by wounds your regeneration will cure sicne you won't have wounds in the first place. :smallwink:

Mmhmmm. Enjoy your health. Please believe me, not being sarcastic here, it's something you'll miss when it starts to go.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 03:42 PM
Mmhmmm. Enjoy your health. Please believe me, not being sarcastic here, it's something you'll miss when it starts to go.

What makes you think it's not long gone by now? :smallsigh:

Peelee
2018-06-02, 03:48 PM
What makes you think it's not long gone by now? :smallsigh:

The idea that you think regeneration is useless if you can have a force field. Makes me willing to bet your cartilage has never gotten thin, you still have your appendix, you've never had a stroke, you've never had an ulcer, you've never....

Well, let's just say that it's a very, very long list.

Durzan
2018-06-02, 03:48 PM
I'd go for some form of reality warping, since its both powerful and versatile (even in its weakest form), and if its powerful enough I can use it to mimic the effects of other super powers.

If I had to specify what kind of reality warping powers, I'd go for a power that is similar to what the main character has in the anime Rewrite. Need to get the remote, give myself telekinesis. Need to get someplace in a hurry, give myself teleportation or super speed, etc. Versatile and powerful without risking the shattering of the bloody fabric of space time every single instance I need to save someone.

Possible limitation could be that I can only alter myself to have a couple powers at a time.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 04:00 PM
The idea that you think regeneration is useless

BUT I NEVER SAID THAT!!! :smallfurious:

I just said that if you are planning on going around being a hero and getting shot, not being shoot sounds like a better idea then being shot and then healing afterwards since that way you won't have to experience the pain of being shot!!!!

Peelee
2018-06-02, 04:13 PM
BUT I NEVER SAID THAT!!! :smallfurious:

I just said that if you are planning on going around being a hero and getting shot, not being shoot sounds like a better idea then being shot and then healing afterwards since that way you won't have to experience the pain of being shot!!!!

My whole point is that I would never be a super hero, just a lazy person with a pratical power.

Why, it's almost as if lazy people with practical powers can still use regeneration.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 04:19 PM
Why, it's almost as if lazy people with practical powers can still use regeneration.

But my point was not in a vacuum.

It was an anwser to this comment:

Telekinesis is a damn cool power, though it's never the one I'd pick for myself. Chalk it up to personal preference, but I'd go with regeneration. Now I can beat pretty much anyone. By attrition. In a really painful, really un-flashy way. I guess I can be a somewhat successful hero without crippling hospital bills though.

The Fury states their desire to be a super hero and beat up criminals, then I say "Well, but that still hurts you, if you use tk you won't even get hurt." I think it's very clear in the context.

Peelee
2018-06-02, 04:36 PM
But my point was not in a vacuum.

It was an anwser to this comment:

The Fury states their desire to be a super hero and beat up criminals, then I say "Well, but that still hurts you, if you use tk you won't even get hurt." I think it's very clear in the context.

It was. And I don't think that regeneration would be terribly good if you were trying to be a hero, which is why I didn't address that part of it. Conversations flow. They can address specific things. If you don't want to address those specific things, you can not take part in the conversation if it gets there. Or you could say "i don't care about that." Or any other number of options. But to pretend that someone can only address what you think they should is a bit much.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 04:39 PM
It was. And I don't think that regeneration would be terribly good if you were trying to be a hero, which is why I didn't address that part of it. Conversations flow. They can address specific things. If you don't want to address those specific things, you can not take part in the conversation if it gets there. Or you could say "i don't care about that." Or any other number of options. But to pretend that someone can only address what you think they should is a bit much.

*rolleyes*

The Fury
2018-06-02, 05:42 PM
Ahem... Uh... Moving along... I think regeneration's relative usefulness comes down to how scary do you find pain. In my case, I'm truthfully more afraid of injuries bad enough that I'll never be able to recover from them. Since regeneration would allow me to recover pretty quickly from just about anything, pain just got a lot less scary for me.

Let's say you have regearation you might get trapped inside a collapsing building or a cave, no way to get out using regearation it may even make you get in a worst position regenerating lost limps whithout space for them.

With tk you can just lift the rocks away.

I'll give you that one. Though this has me wondering, in this hypothetical would I be the only one with a super power? Are there other heroes? Are there hero teams? I ask not just because that would answer for sure whether or not anyone could rescue me from that collapsed building, but also another way I could be an asset to the team. I could draw attacks from villains while someone else finishes them off. Folks would probably want me on their team because I end up making them look good!

Naturally, my hero uniform would have a giant bullseye on the chest.

I was talking to Peelee. :smallbiggrin:

Right, sorry about that.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-02, 05:54 PM
So you want to be a literal meat shield? :smalleek: Oookay each to their own. I'll give that regeneration is very cool and it may even allow you to be forever young or at least age very slowly. :cool:

My original idea while writing this thread was only you get a power but hey it's not set in stone. If other heros were around I would probrably pick gravity manipulation or density manipulation since a lot of people would pick Tk.

~Corvus~
2018-06-26, 04:35 AM
Hmm. I've thought over the years about what would be an amazing set of superpowers. I think one of the coolest ones would be the ability to understand, speak, and write every language and dialect. You could travel anywhere in the world and you could make friends; after all, you can speak like them. You can travel to the Rosetta Stone and confound scholars at their ridiculous mistakes. Travel to the Middle East and understand the Epic of Gilgamesh in the old Sumerian forms, etc. The best parts about this power?

It's useful enough that you'll have a great job(s). It's not so useful that everyone will clamour for your attention. You could become an important person, but you're not going to be a world-known celebrity out of the merits of your job/powers. THEREFORE, your "super power" will also allow you to enjoy a private life, have the things that help you enjoy it, and write fun stuff in places like this.

- Sure, it's not the car-stopping, fire-setting, water-bending telekinesis of the OP, but honestly something of this nature would set us so far apart from other people that we'd be news-ified by the papparazzi & news organizations worldwide and you'd have no privacy ever, and if you started killing people/pushing them away you'd be a monster and oh gawd how'd you become a villain and one day you get snipered. No fun.
- It's not omniscience/omnipotence, but knowing everything that was/can/will be or being able to change everything would also require a body and mental consciousness change such that one is no longer human or even moral. Bleh.
- It's not the time-twisting craziness that cause timeline-conundrums and alternate-realities and all sorts of reality warpings that are a little complex to deal with. Any time-manipulation doesn't solve your mortality, however, nor does it help you gain solace/privacy for being a super-awesome powerfulperson

Celestia
2018-06-26, 07:35 AM
I'd love some shapeshifting. I don't care whether or not it's the "best" power (whatever that means); I just like it the most.

Lord Joeltion
2018-06-26, 02:37 PM
Well, given that Magneto can do most of the things already mentioned, if given only ludicrous constraints (like OP's) then Total Magnetic Manipulation is hands down the best.

And not just that, simple magnetic manipulation is dope, because science. You can float yourself, you can manipulate properties of material without much effort, you can be your own generator, and protecting yourself is easy*. Magnetic force is one of the fundamental forces; you just need to read enough science, finding a reliable power source, and basically, the universe is yours to reap. Light interact with magnetic forces. Most matter interacts with magnetic forces in one way or another (ferromagnetism is only one kind of magnetism). Most energies/forces known ARE magnetims in a way. From polarizing light (aka: stealth mode) to manipulating anti-matter... it's just simply way more spectacular than mere telekinesis. And yes, Magneto is a mild telepath bc of his magnetic abilities :smalltongue:

*Even if you can't build yourself a mecha (which is cool in and of itself) because of power level limitations; sensing magnetic fields on the finest scale (which shouldn't be as much energy consuming) is enough to be prepared of virtually any dire situation. Think of it as super-smell for magnetically-interactive materials (which are most)

ETA: Although recently, I just want the power to fry all electronics around whenever I want. Don't ask why.

Peelee
2018-06-26, 02:42 PM
you just need to read enough science, finding a reliable power source, and basically, the universe is yours to reap.

Technically, this is true regardless of superpowers.:smalltongue: TOOLS ARE UNIMPORTANT SHUT UP.

Lord Joeltion
2018-06-26, 02:46 PM
Technically, this is true regardless of superpowers.:smalltongue: TOOLS ARE UNIMPORTANT SHUT UP.

I dare you to find a reliable peer reviewed source on the nature of telekinec forces. Nay, I double dare you :smallamused:

Peelee
2018-06-26, 02:51 PM
I dare you to find a reliable peer reviewed source on the nature of telekinec forces. Nay, I double dare you :smallamused:

Look, the availability of enough science literature is irrelevant.:smallwink:

~Corvus~
2018-06-26, 05:15 PM
Once again, as a counterpoint to the superpower-powers presented big and flashy, none of these can be used in a vacuum. No one could use such a superpower and avoid detection by the ravenous and insatiable media our world has. Magnetic power, telekinesis, mind-reading, time-crawling (like the FLASH?) ...it would be noticed eventually, by other people, and sooner or later, you'd have the same questions posed to you: WHY, if you DO have such awesome powers, DON'T you help the world become a better place? You'll be approached, you'll be jostled, you'll be probed and questioned because of the stellar gift you have as a person. Is that gift, whatever you have, worth the entire stripping away of a private life, being thrust into the public sphere without your will? Say what you want about superpowers, but I myself like to be able to enjoy my alone time, away from kids and away from family, sometimes, too. If you had a mega-power, you'd be in the spotlight, a celebrity of the ages, and never worth leaving alone.

NOT WORTH IT.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-26, 08:00 PM
Once again, as a counterpoint to the superpower-powers presented big and flashy, none of these can be used in a vacuum. No one could use such a superpower and avoid detection by the ravenous and insatiable media our world has. Magnetic power, telekinesis, mind-reading, time-crawling (like the FLASH?) ...it would be noticed eventually, by other people, and sooner or later, you'd have the same questions posed to you: WHY, if you DO have such awesome powers, DON'T you help the world become a better place? You'll be approached, you'll be jostled, you'll be probed and questioned because of the stellar gift you have as a person. Is that gift, whatever you have, worth the entire stripping away of a private life, being thrust into the public sphere without your will? Say what you want about superpowers, but I myself like to be able to enjoy my alone time, away from kids and away from family, sometimes, too. If you had a mega-power, you'd be in the spotlight, a celebrity of the ages, and never worth leaving alone.

NOT WORTH IT.

My whole is this.

With, tk you can just have an odinary life with the bonus of being lazy and able to move stuff with your midn and react in dangerous situation, you don't need to expose yourself.

~Corvus~
2018-06-26, 09:29 PM
You're not describing a "best thing" scenario, you're describing a life of potentially more comfort and ease-of-being. I mean, comfort is all cool and stuff, but where's the happiness?

xxVEG
2018-06-27, 02:18 PM
With probability control you can emulate tk "The probability of astronomically large bodies in space aligning to throw that object I need st that person is %100" plus a slew of other nifty things like never loosing Russian Roulette and increasing the probability you survive a given scenario

Lord Joeltion
2018-06-27, 02:21 PM

NOT WORTH IT.

Unless, somehow, for some reason, humanity decides there is an urgent need to place a lot of magnetic fields detectors/readers*; like those scientist use to prevent seismic events; then I wouldn't worry too much, if I were a magnetopath. I mean, most of those constraints rely on EM almost entirely, which you are assumed to have better understanding/control than the finest available piece of technology. Even with very low-scale capabilities, cell phones, cameras, cable lines and lightbulbs would be sirens for your supposedly magnetically-tuned senses.

That is assuming, of course, that controlling also implies being able to sense magnetic fields. tldr: Magneto can't have a private life only because he is a prick. And all the constant bombing and the cult thingie.

*which in turn, are required to be able to register events on a ridiculously fine scale to spot you with any amount of reliable precision.

ben-zayb
2018-06-27, 11:23 PM
Hmm. I've thought over the years about what would be an amazing set of superpowers. I think one of the coolest ones would be the ability to understand, speak, and write every language and dialect. You could travel anywhere in the world and you could make friends; after all, you can speak like them. You can travel to the Rosetta Stone and confound scholars at their ridiculous mistakes. Travel to the Middle East and understand the Epic of Gilgamesh in the old Sumerian forms, etc. The best parts about this power?

It's useful enough that you'll have a great job(s). It's not so useful that everyone will clamour for your attention. You could become an important person, but you're not going to be a world-known celebrity out of the merits of your job/powers. THEREFORE, your "super power" will also allow you to enjoy a private life, have the things that help you enjoy it, and write fun stuff in places like this.There's an actual character (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Douglas_Ramsey_(Earth-616)) with that ability.

If I had a superpower, I prefer it to be Semantics-based Reality Warping similar to those granted by jackass genies or demons. Like, if someone wants to have killer looks, I could either change the person's appearance to that of an actual murderer or make mere gaze cause death. It could be very powerful, but more importantly, I'll enjoy justifying the results with terrible puns and symbolisms.

RazorChain
2018-07-02, 07:07 PM
I'll just settle for looking good naked! Oh already got that one.....
Happiness? Got that one too!

I'm good thank you, didn't get my Looking Good Naked power from slouching around using TK to grab the remote control though

EllaCoach
2018-07-03, 05:41 AM
I support you in this opinion.:smile:

Rico
2018-07-03, 09:37 AM
I also think that this all exists,:smalltongue:

S@tanicoaldo
2018-07-05, 08:26 PM
I'm good thank you, didn't get my Looking Good Naked power from slouching around using TK to grab the remote control though

Who needs to look good naked when you can lift someone in the air and fill and their holes with your mind? :smallamused:

Peelee
2018-07-05, 09:44 PM
Who needs to look good naked when you can lift someone in the air and fill and their holes with your mind? :smallamused:

Who needs apples when you have a radio?

I think you're onto something, equating completely different things is kinda fun!:smallsigh:

Tvtyrant
2018-07-05, 09:47 PM
Who needs apples when you have a radio

Johnny Appleseed vs. Tommy Edison, ready fight!

Peelee
2018-07-05, 10:14 PM
Johnny Appleseed vs. Tommy Edison, ready fight!

You mean Marconi or Tesla, right?:smallwink:
Edison suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

dehro
2018-07-17, 12:16 PM
didn't there use to be a forum thread about randomly generated superheroes/villains, that were the result of randomly selected pages from the superpowers wikia?

darkrose50
2018-07-20, 08:45 AM
My vote would be super health.

- You would likely be highly attractive, as how we rate appearance is a basic test of symmetry . . . in order to test for health. It's not perfect, but that is what we have instinctually. People trust and listen to attractive people instinctually . . . the more attractive the more they listen and trust . . . not a bad deal. Get paid gobbs of money to wear clothing or act (perhaps even poorly) . . . not a bad deal at all.

- Self healing powers . . . nice. No more going to the dentist, or the like. Is your blood a healing drug? Go cure cancer!

- Excellent senses . . . eyesight, smelling, tasting, hearing, and feeling . . . all useful.

- Longer lifespan . . . nice. Compound interest really makes one crazy wealthy.

- Immortality . . . nice. Compound interest really makes one crazy wealthy . . . hire super villains to do nice things . . . with that Scrooge McDcuk money. Make the Koch brothers workings look like child's-play and manipulate the world to your liking with great effect!

-----

As for a fun power I would pick dimensional travel. I would spend the weekends going to other dimensions looking for better Star Wars movies. Also crazy money to be had with little effort (import entertainment, ideas, and the like). In this other dimension over yonder (OD&D) $10 (or whatever) is 1/50th of a pound of gold . . . nice!

----

For a transportation power I would pick teleportation. Instant travel would equate to hours more in my day . . . free travel to fun places . . . and lots of money. I could watch some cooking show about some restaurant someplace and go try it out.

darkrose50
2018-07-20, 10:00 AM

I would bet if it regenerated faster than the speed of pain . . . if it is fixed before your nervous system detected that it was busted . . . then yes . . . maybe (?).

I like these kinds of things to very from person to person.

I once played in a LARP where my character was a werewolf. When a werewolf changed their stuff did not change with them . . . unless they were a druid priest . . . my character was . . . I joked that his religion had a magical coat room that held their stuff.

Errata
2018-07-20, 02:13 PM
A lot of evaluations of super powers are based on who would win in a fight. But that's comic book logic. For some reason getting a super power always makes people want to put on spandex and become either a criminal or a vigilante. But in real life how often are you actually going to get in a fight? I always interpret these questions as how useful could the power be for practical uses that don't have to do with fighting supervillains.

If you were always regenerating to a state of optimal health, then most internal pains never would have developed in the first place, perhaps not even the headache. One of the worst parts about pain is knowing how long it's likely to persist and wondering what kind of lasting consequences there may be. With regeneration, any pain would resolve itself much quicker and likely not represent any serious harm, so it would not only occur much less frequently but take much less of a toll when it did.

I think regeneration, of the style where you live a greatly extended lifespan in perpetual good health because aging is an accumulation of gradual damage that can be regenerated away, is among the most practical and underrated powers for actual day to day non-superhero utility. 100 years from now the telekinetic and telepath and most of the rest will be dead, while you'll still be healthy as an ox, getting your 4th college degree or starting another business, and reinvesting dividends from your index funds to grow your small fortune into a large fortune. In 200 years you can have any advantage money can buy, it just takes a little more patience than certain flashier powers that would let you have it right away.