PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can I make this better?

jaappleton
2018-05-24, 11:08 AM
So I have this concept, and its been approved by my DM.

Basically, I'm looking to see if this all makes sense for the character, and maybe if my spell selection can be improved.

I'm an explorer, dedicated to venturing into old ruins for long-forgotten lore and items. Very Indiana Jones. My weapon is one such lost item, which is basically a Sun Blade, but turned into a Hand Crossbow with the DMs permission. Though no Sharpshooter shenanigans allowed, but Crossbow Expert has gotten the green light.

I'm dedicated to venturing into old, lost ruins. Nasty things sometimes lurk there. I figured Aasimar would be good, specifically Protector. The Radiant damage boost is always welcome, Charisma lines up, and Wings to help me explore or get out of danger.

Valor Bard is my class. 10th level. Bard in the skald sense, not the musician sense. Expertise in Perception, History, Stealth and Persuasion.

For Magical Secrets, I went with Holy Weapon and Shield. I know there's a bunch of spells worth pilfering, especially Circle of Power, but I figured Shield would help secure some Concentration checks.

Other spells:

Identify, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Thunderwave
Detect Thoughts, Hold Person, Locate Object, Suggestion
Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, Tiny Hut (Gotta have a safe place to rest)
Greater Invisibility
Hold Monster, Raise Dead

Unoriginal
2018-05-24, 11:16 AM
Should take the spell Legend Lore, and the Archeologist Background

jaappleton
2018-05-24, 11:25 AM

Legend Lore is next on my list. I don't know what to take off in favor of it, though.

EDIT: I do also think there's a bit of overlap with that spell and my expertise in History. I think my History checks will hopefully at least point me in the right direction, if I can't make room for Legend Lore.

Davrix
2018-05-24, 01:17 PM
Fun idea, had an artificer in my game that did the IJ thing so at one point I gave him the official hat that was actually a hat of disguise. He had lots of fun with that. Also see if your Dm will let you have a slight upgraded whip to use with crossbow expert. Like say a D6 instead of a D4 because whips are cool.

Specter
2018-05-24, 01:53 PM

This. And maybe Conjure Volley from Ranger.

jaappleton
2018-05-24, 01:59 PM
This. And maybe Conjure Volley from Ranger.

Ok! Here's the thing.

I saw Conjure Volley. Especially love it deals the same damage as my weapon. In this case, that's Sunlight. 8d8 damage of sunlight to an absolutely massive area, as a 5th level spell. And that seems AMAZING.

But. Here's the thing.

How many 5th level slots do I have?

Between Holy Weapon, Hold Monster, and although I hopefully don't use it often, Raise Dead... Well, I suppose I can use Tiny Hut and then Raise Dead...

Hmm. And I suppose I am lacking a big blast.

Specter
2018-05-24, 06:04 PM
Ok! Here's the thing.

I saw Conjure Volley. Especially love it deals the same damage as my weapon. In this case, that's Sunlight. 8d8 damage of sunlight to an absolutely massive area, as a 5th level spell. And that seems AMAZING.

But. Here's the thing.

How many 5th level slots do I have?

Between Holy Weapon, Hold Monster, and although I hopefully don't use it often, Raise Dead... Well, I suppose I can use Tiny Hut and then Raise Dead...

Hmm. And I suppose I am lacking a big blast.

Yep, it's like 4 Fireballs of area.

Well, if you can't take it now then there's more at level 14.

Also, Greater Invisibility is a Valor Bard's best friend.