PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 1 Melee Druid multiclass ideas

KeilFX
2018-05-24, 11:35 AM
Session 1 with this character starts this evening, and I'm super psyched for it. A lizardfolk, L/E (because Lawful/Mean isn't an alignment in 5e) Druid. "Survival of the fittest" type of mindset.

My main plan for him is to go Circle of Spores, to grab Shillelagh (because Shillelagh) and that dank Symbiotic Entity feature; expend a use of wildshape for 3xDruid level temp HP and +1d6 poison damage tacked onto all weapon attacks (which lasts 10 minutes). So thats 1d8+1d6+Wis at player lvl2. This is pretty powerful in terms of long-term damage.

Now, I have been spending some time looking at other classes, and I think power and flavour-wise, Ranger (Gloomstalker) and Monk (Open Hand) would be great for the next few levels. Here's a rough level breakdown.

Druid (Spores) 2
> Ranger 2
>> Monk (Open hand) 5
>>> Druid 8
>>>> Ranger (Gloomstalker) 4
>>>>> Monk 6
>>>>>> Druid10

So by lvl4, Ranger2 gives us Hunter's Mark. Now, we could choose to forgo Ranger entirely (if we value Druid14 over Druid10) and instead take the Magic Initiate (Warlock) feat for Hex, but I like what those 4 lvls of Gloomstalker gets us. Hunter's Mark also serves double duty, as it can help us if/when we decide to wildshape in or out of combat.

Monk (whether or not we get the movement/stunning strike while in wildshape) gives us a tonne of useful stuff, with features at every level. Flurry of blows and extra attack puts our +2d6 /per hit through the roof. Additional movement, stunning strike, better AC, and other stuff is a huge boost to our non-spellcasting utility and aggressive strategy.

After taking our last levels of GloomStalker and OpenHanded monk, we wrap up with Druid levels for better spellcasting, and everything else wrapped up in the Druid utility belt.

So it should be understood that (at lvl9), with the collection of Shillelagh, Symbiotic Entity, Hunter's Mark, and Flurry of Blows, this plan takes two turns to get online (an Action, and 2 Bonus actions) before we start really beating face (turn two we can still take an Attack/Extra attack for 2d8+4d6+Wis+Wis, not shabby!). Turn 3? 2d8+10d6+Wis+Wis+Dex+Dex. Two attacks + two unarmed strikes, +2d6 for each hit. Thats like a lvl9 fireball every turn to the face.

Of course, this is magical christmas land, and likely won't happen each combat, so my question is...

*what are your thoughts?* level breakdown, spellchoice, recommendations, or corrections to rules? I'd like to think this evil Druid can make for a great utility partymember with a surprising strength in melee.

I will also say that, I understand that Barbarians, Fighters and Paladins are strictly better Crit-machines. I chose Ranger/Monk for their SAD Wis, and for roleplaying dynamics :)

2D6GREATAXE
2018-05-24, 11:44 AM
Point buy or are you rolling for stats and if so what did you roll.

KeilFX
2018-05-24, 12:03 PM
Point buy or are you rolling for stats and if so what did you roll.

I rolled. I don't have the char sheet infront of me, but I had a +1 STR +1 DEX +2 CON +1 INT +4 WIS -1 CHA. i imagine all ASIs will be devoted to bumping WIS, DEX and CON.

ZorroGames
2018-05-24, 12:10 PM
I rolled. I don't have the char sheet infront of me, but I had a +1 STR +1 DEX +2 CON +1 INT +4 WIS -1 CHA. i imagine all ASIs will be devoted to bumping WIS, DEX and CON.

Don’t you need a 13 in WI to multiclass in or out of Druid?

-1 is probably not a 13.

KeilFX
2018-05-24, 12:15 PM
Don’t you need a 13 in WI to multiclass in or out of Druid?

-1 is probably not a 13.

Ah, you misunderstand how I wrote my stats. It's a +4 (18) Wisdom. The -1 (9) is in Charisma :) I believe everything but STR, INT and CHA are at or above 13.

ZorroGames
2018-05-24, 12:17 PM
Ah, you misunderstand how I wrote my stats. It's a +4 (18) Wisdom. The -1 (9) is in Charisma :)

Got it.

Carry on.

KeilFX
2018-05-25, 09:53 AM
So after 1st session I am realizing that my original level breakdown and Stat spread will make my attacks *very* Shillelagh dependant (both STR and DEX are +1, WIS is +4. And with Druid2, Ranger2, Monk 4, I wouldn't be getting an ASI for 7 more levels!).

So I'll asking my DM if I can switch stats around, so I have a bit better DEX. I will also adjust my leveling chart.

Druid (Spores) 2
> **Monk 2**
>> Ranger 2
>>> Monk (Open hand) 5
>>>> Druid 8
>>>>> Ranger (Gloomstalker) 4
>>>>>> Monk 6
>>>>>>> Druid10

That Monk1 at level 3 is key, as I now can use Dex for my non-Shillelagh sweetness. Monk 2 Flurry of Blows seems ultimately more important than Ranger 1, so we'll be doing that!

Unoriginal
2018-05-25, 10:08 AM
Why Monk, though?

Flurry of Blow doesn't work with the Shillelagh

KeilFX
2018-05-25, 10:50 AM
Why Monk, though?

Flurry of Blow doesn't work with the Shillelagh

Correct, but Shillelagh is just a low-level Attack roll bonus for us, and not actually helping us do loads of damage.

Symbiotic Entity (Spore Druid lvl2) is +1d6 poison damage on each weapon attack. Hunter's mark (Ranger lvl2) is another +1d6 weapon damage. Both of these stack with Flurry of Blows, as unarmed strikes are considered simple melee weapon attacks :)

So when we get Hunters Mark, we'll skip Shillelagh. With 1 action + 1 bonus action to settup, turn 2 will be 12d6+(Dex ×4). Turn 2 of those d6s into d8s if you're two-handing that staff.

Tubben
2018-05-25, 01:36 PM
If you plan to play an Druid to lv 20, i would not recommend to multiclass. Archdruid is just to good.

Archdruid: At 20th levei, you can use your Wild Shape an unlimited number of times. Additionally, you can ignore the verbal and somatic components of your druid spells, as well as any material components that lack a cost and aren't consumed by a spell. Vou gain this benefit in both your normal shape and your beast shape from Wild Shape.

Plus at lv 18 you are able to cast in beast form.

I think i almost never used elementals before lv 20. After hitting 20 i am in almost every fight an elementar. Imune to so many conditions, resistent vs most dmg (depending on the elementar).

KeilFX
2018-05-25, 01:43 PM
If you plan to play an Druid to lv 20, i would not recommend to multiclass. Archdruid is just to good.

Archdruid: At 20th levei, you can use your Wild Shape an unlimited number of times. Additionally, you can ignore the verbal and somatic components of your druid spells, as well as any material components that lack a cost and aren't consumed by a spell. Vou gain this benefit in both your normal shape and your beast shape from Wild Shape.

Plus at lv 18 you are able to cast in beast form.

Yes Druid 18 > 20 get insane damage sponging, spellcasting and wildshape shenanigans... But I don't know if I'll even get to lvl20 in this campaign. The multiclassing are relatively deep dips, but I havr the session time to choose to shallow them out.

Session 1 was last night, and session 2 is next week. Who knows what this Evil Druid is going to become!

CTurbo
2018-05-25, 01:48 PM
The problem with these fancy tri-class builds is that they take forever to come online good. If you go Druid 2, Ranger 2, then Monk 2, at level 6, you're going to be weaker than the rest of your party. You're going to be "behind" the curve for most of the middle levels which is where you'll spend your time for a long time.

My best advice is to add the 3rd class really late. Most campaigns never make it anywhere near level 20. Most campaigns don't even make it into the teens.

It's a fun idea though for a level 20 character.

RickAsWritten
2018-05-25, 02:46 PM
The problem with these fancy tri-class builds is that they take forever to come online good. If you go Druid 2, Ranger 2, then Monk 2, at level 6, you're going to be weaker than the rest of your party. You're going to be "behind" the curve for most of the middle levels which is where you'll spend your time for a long time.

My best advice is to add the 3rd class really late. Most campaigns never make it anywhere near level 20. Most campaigns don't even make it into the teens.

It's a fun idea though for a level 20 character.

Agreed. Just take either Ranger or Monk to level 5 for Extra Attack and jump back to Druid. Ranger is more compatible as it will net you more spell slots, but Monk works as well(though it seems a bit redundant with your Lizardman scales).

KeilFX
2018-05-25, 10:18 PM
So upon extensively pouring over the classes, and considering the party-roleplaying atmosphere (my character will be doing extensive growing and expanding horizons / capabilities, by becoming friends with the party Monk and Paladin)....
Druid (Spore)8, Monk (Open Hand)5, Ranger (Gloom stalker)4, Paladin (Vengeance)3.

I'll post a proper level breakdown later, but the Melee DPS is pretty important to him early on, and the roleplaying opportunities that open up for him are more important and outweigh going straight Druid20 (if we even get that far).

I will do a level breakdown of other such multiclassing options (or straight druid) on my own in the next few days, so I can properly visualize what I'm missing :) thank you all for your recommendations!

bid
2018-05-25, 11:31 PM
Druid (Spores) 2
> **Monk 2**
>> Ranger 2
>>> Monk (Open hand) 5
You do realize that extra attack is way stronger than hunter's mark, don't you?

KeilFX
2018-05-26, 07:44 AM
You do realize that extra attack is way stronger than hunter's mark, don't you?

Yes I did actually (please pardon that earlier judgement call, I have not played this kind of character before).

So as promised, here is my final idea for the L/E Lizardfolk Melee Druid.

12 STR, 14 DEX, 15 CON, 9 INT, 18 WIS, 13 CHA.

Spore Druid 2 (Symbiotic Entity, Wildshape)
> O.H Monk 5 (Flurry, d6 M.arts, ASI +2 DEX, Extra atk)
>>Veng. Pal 3 (Smite, Vow o.Emnity, Hunter's Mark, Great Weap. F)
>>> Ranger 2 (Tunnel Fighter,
>>>> Druid 4 (lvl3 spellslots, War Caster feat, Swim Wildshape)
>>>>> Gloom.S 4 (+Wis initiative, Umbral Sight, ASI +2 DEX)
>>>>>> Druid 8 (Fly Wildshape, Fungal Infestation, 26 spells prep, lvl6 spellslot)

At lvl10, Symbiotic Entity + Hunter's Mark, stacking on Attack / Extra Attack / Flurry of blows, will be 2d8+10d6+14 every turn.

At lvl20, if I never roll my Hit die and only take the mid number, he'll have 154 HP. Symbiotic Entity will grant +24 temp HP twice a day.

Definitely not the typical image of a Druid, casting spells as a bear and ****.

bid
2018-05-26, 11:05 AM
Also, I'm not sure why great weapon fighting style, since you'd need kensei tradition to use martial arts. You might prefer mariner or dueling style.

Warcaster is weird too. You always have a free hand to cast (even with a 2-hander, btw), you don't have a good spell for OA, and you start with an odd Con.

And you'd need Str13 to MC paladin.

Still, gloom/spore has a powerful RP vibe. I love the concept.

KeilFX
2018-05-26, 12:00 PM
Also, I'm not sure why great weapon fighting style, since you'd need kensei tradition to use martial arts. You might prefer mariner or dueling style.

Warcaster is weird too. You always have a free hand to cast (even with a 2-hander, btw), you don't have a good spell for OA, and you start with an odd Con.

And you'd need Str13 to MC paladin.

Still, gloom/spore has a powerful RP vibe. I love the concept.

OH DAMN I totally missed that I needed a 13 STR for Paladin multiclass. Alright, so the first ASI will go to +1STR +1CON.

Warcaster: the DM is pretty touchy about spell components and requirements, as well as turn actions. He houserules that equipping a shield/weapon requires an action, and that a Somatic spells *must* have a hand free. Without WC, I'd fail to Symbiotic Entity + Hunter's Mark /or/ Shillelagh on the first turn of combat.

Great Weapon Fighting: this -along with Warcaster - is all about action economy. We plan on phasng out Shillelagh for just gripping our staff with both hands, for d8 die on attack/extra attack, without wasting that bonus action. This 2nd bonus action of the combat can be freed up for Tunnel Fighting, or Healing Word, etc. Along with being able to reroll the d8 staff and d6 Hunter's mark dice on your attacks, extra attacks, and AoO (from Tunnel fighter / Sentinel), it's pretty powerful.

If the DM chooses to go easier on the Somatic requirements, theb Warcaster can be dropped for ASI +2 DEX that we lost from me being ****ty at reading the rules of multiclassing :)