PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection

VoxRationis
2018-05-24, 01:06 PM
I'm torn between three spells as I'm leveling up my character, and I was wondering what the Playground thought of the matter. I'm playing a rogue 1/illusionist 9, a character primarily built on noncombat utility and social interaction, but all too often, it's been the case that combat happens anyway and my character ends up doing little to nothing.

Cantrips: Minor illusion, prestidigitation, mage hand, firebolt, and mending.
1st level: alarm, detect magic, magic missile, disguise self, fog cloud, jump, charm person, mage armor, grease, expeditious retreat, protection from evil and good, Tasha's hideous laughter, silent image, cause fear, unseen servant, illusory script
2nd level: magic aura, invisibility, darkness, detect thoughts, spider climb, blur, suggestion, glitterdust (houseruled in from when we were playing 3.5), misty step, crown of madness, mind pide, web, and darkvision
3rd level: sending, gaseous form, vampiric touch, major image
4th level: phantasmal killer, devouring mists of Swethmore(homebrewed spell, battlefield-scale but useless on a skirmish level)
5th level: dream, [unknown]

So my basic analysis is that my character's combat capabilities are both limited and tend to all fall under the same general category of effect, making her vulnerable to opponents that are resistant to that effect (say, by having good Wisdom saves). I consequently wanted a little bit of diversity and some extra punch when it comes to the new 5th-level spell. After a selection process, I'm focusing on a choice between the following three spells: conjure elemental, wall of stone, and synaptic static.

My analysis of these three is as follows:

Conjure Elemental adds numbers to the fray. Moreover, my DM is amenable to coming up with some sort of homebrewed mist elemental, which would be thematically appropriate for my character. However, it's a concentration spell, and if broken (which would be fairly easy to do, as my Constitution save is rubbish), I would be in a lot of trouble (though one of the other party members has banishment).

Wall of Stone provides very solid crowd control and a defensive option no one in the party really can match. Moreover, this campaign could end up building into larger-scale conflicts, and the ability to plop a crenellated wall in the middle of what the enemy thought was an open field could be invaluable. On the other hand, it's almost purely defensive, and I'd still be relying on my party members to be doing all the actual fighting while I try and hold concentration on the spell.

Synaptic Static provides hefty damage in an area of effect and has a saving throw/damage type combination that is generally likely to bypass defenses. It also, unlike many damage spells, lacks visible effects (at least according to my DM's interpretation), and carries a no-concentration rider effect. On the downside, the foes we find ourselves most likely to face in the near future probably have unusually good Intelligence saves; their 3.5 incarnations were rogues, and since their job is to act as investigators, they probably have good Intelligence scores. They probably won't be expecting psychic damage, but they might well just make all their saves.

What do you think?

Sigreid
2018-05-24, 01:23 PM
Of those I would go with conjur elementals since it provides damage and damage mitigation and crowd control all in one spell. My next choice would be wall of stone as limiting the number of people facing your party is huge.

But, my real first pick would be fireball. You don't need to be a big damage contributor a lot, but being able to clear the ground of mooks so your party doesn't have to deal with them or take damage from them can make you MVP for that fight, even if you don't do anything else.

VoxRationis
2018-05-24, 01:35 PM
But, my real first pick would be fireball. You don't need to be a big damage contributor a lot, but being able to clear the ground of mooks so your party doesn't have to deal with them or take damage from them can make you MVP for that fight, even if you don't do anything else.

My party already has a lot of fire damage (including a sorcerer with fireball) and some of our toughest enemies have been demons and the like.

Sigreid
2018-05-24, 01:42 PM
My party already has a lot of fire damage (including a sorcerer with fireball) and some of our toughest enemies have been demons and the like.

In that case I would say lightning bolt. For pretty much the same reasons. But that's just one man's opinion. There's a bit of a saying in MMOs "death is the best crowd control".

If you don't want to do that, I'm back to conjur elementals. If I were your DM I'd be willing to fluff them as shadow elementals, illusionary constructs that are semi-real and made of shadow stuff. It wouldn't have any in game effect and just let you feel all illusiony. 😉