PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a Dragon - can it get Pounce or an equivalent?

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-24, 04:00 PM
I'm looking for Feats for a Silver Dragon who isn't a Loredrake and can't have any class levels. They're a Wyrmling but may well return later in the campaign.
I was thinking Flaws: -2 to ranged attacks and -1 AC, and then 5 feats: Entangling Exhalation, Power Attack, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, and Draconic Knowledge (for plot reasons).
Is there a way to get Pounce with a feat, or something equivalent?

If yes then I'll be giving him Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, of course.
If not then I suppose that this Dragon will be taking Flyby Attack, Flyby Breath and metabreath feats.

Venger
2018-05-24, 04:28 PM
shape soulmeld (sphinx claws) and open lesser chakra (hand) grants pounce with natural attacks, which should suit you fine.

schreier
2018-05-24, 04:42 PM
The chakra route depends on the DM ruling ...RAW probably doesn't work: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?175953-Question-on-Open-Chakra

Older dragons can take epic feats, and there is an epic feat for pounce ... But that's all I know about. There are some items that mimic pounce:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement

Venger
2018-05-24, 04:47 PM
The chakra route depends on the DM ruling ...RAW probably doesn't work: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?175953-Question-on-Open-Chakra

Older dragons can take epic feats, and there is an epic feat for pounce ... But that's all I know about. There are some items that mimic pounce:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement

You are mistaken. Open chakra gives you a bind that you can only use on that chakra.

If a dragon with no other meldshaping ability takes shape soulmeld (sphinx claws) and open chakra (hand) then it has one bind slot that can only be used for the hand chakra.

custserv ≠ RAW

If your gm doesn't know how incarnum works and refuses to listen to reason, you can burn 3 feats on martial study for pouncing charge, depending on how many hd you have.

Nifft
2018-05-24, 04:53 PM
Building on the above, Pouncing Charge is a Tiger Claw maneuver, so a dragon in Eberron can take the Wyrm of War sovereign archetype and get access to it in place of a spell known (plus other spells known to accomodate the prereqs).

DarkSoul
2018-05-24, 04:57 PM
If it's got more than 20 HD give it Dire Charge. You might be better off giving it the Rapidstrike feats though, just because full attacks will likely be easier to set up than charges.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-25, 09:31 AM
If you can deal with short bursts there is always travel devotion. It's not charging, but swift action moving 1/day for 10 rounds is nice.

rrwoods
2018-05-25, 01:55 PM
Travel Devotion is a decent pounce imitator.

ShurikVch
2018-05-25, 03:17 PM
If your Dragon is able to rage somehow, then how about the Snow Tiger Berserker (Unapproachable East)?

Doctor Awkward
2018-05-25, 03:39 PM
You are mistaken. Open chakra gives you a bind that you can only use on that chakra.

If a dragon with no other meldshaping ability takes shape soulmeld (sphinx claws) and open chakra (hand) then it has one bind slot that can only be used for the hand chakra.

custserv ≠ RAW

If your gm doesn't know how incarnum works and refuses to listen to reason, you can burn 3 feats on martial study for pouncing charge, depending on how many hd you have.

Additionally, CustServ is incorrect with their interpretation of the feats themselves.

They claim that Open Chakra grants you the ability to bind to the chosen chakra but does not grant you an "available chakra bind" as the incarnum classes do.

Even if such a rule did exist, an "available bind" is not necessary, as the Shape Soulmeld feat would provide an exception to that (nonexistent) rule:

Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose a soulmeld from
any class’s soulmeld list. You can shape that soulmeld using
the normal meldshaping rules (see page 49). Once chosen,
the soulmeld granted by this feat can never be changed. Your
meldshaper level for this soulmeld is equal to one-half your
character level.
If you have essentia, you can invest essentia in the soulmeld
as normal. See Table 2–1: Essentia Capacity on page 19 to
determine the soulmeld’s essentia capacity.
If you have the ability to bind a soulmeld to a chakra, you
can bind this soulmeld to any chakra available to you (as long
as the soulmeld can be bound to that chakra).

As Open Chakra explicitly grants you the ability to bind a soulmeld to chakra, you can freely bind any soulmeld granted by the Shape Soulmeld feat to that available chakra, regardless of any other factors.