PDA

View Full Version : Wizard multiclass help.

Mydude
2018-05-24, 04:22 PM
A friend of mine is playing a tiefling wizard in her current game and is thinking of multiclassing. Do you have any advice. She is a level four evocation wizard and a abyssal tiefling.
Str:11
Dex:13
Con:14
Int:20
Wis:8
Cha:14
Any ideas would be great.

Sigreid
2018-05-24, 04:26 PM
I'd personally probably go for Hexblade warlock. Medium armor, good weapons, and most importantly cantrips! Though with that charisma I wouldn't bother with any combat cantrips and use it to flesh out the utility cantrips.

Laserlight
2018-05-24, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine is playing a tiefling wizard in her current game and is thinking of multiclassing. Do you have any advice.

My advice is, don't.

I played a Cleric 1/Wiz X and while the armor proficiency, extra spells (Bless) and cantrips (Guidance) were great, losing even one level of "spells known" was notable and annoying. And with that Wisdom score, she wouldn't qualify for Cleric.

For 5e in general, the advice is "if you don't know what you want to gain by multiclassing, don't do it"

CTurbo
2018-05-24, 04:54 PM
WHY does she want to multiclass? What is she looking to gain?

I say don't but if she just wants to, a few levels of Rogue would be great. I would want to bump Dex a couple of times regardless.

JellyPooga
2018-05-24, 05:14 PM
One of the best multiclasses for an Evocation Wizard is into Druid. It gives you access to some great Druid-only Evocations to utilise with your Sculpt Spells (unfortunately, both Empowered Evocation and Overchannel specify Wizard spells) and if you go Land Druid, aren't being held back too much on your Arcane Recovery either because Natural Recovery can pick up some of the slack. On top of that, you get a huge improvement to your out-of-combat utility with both Wild Shape and a bunch of additional Cantrips.

With Wis 8, though, that's not an option.

Warlock gives you some nice additional magical "tricks" and some unique spells, not to forget access to Eldritch Blast...but I would tend to prefer Bard. It offers the opportunity to diversify your character out of the "blaster wizard" stereotype and contribute on a much wider scene; Expertise gives you additional roles outside of combat and Bardic Inspiration gives you the chance to both buff and blast.

Sigreid
2018-05-24, 10:46 PM
In general it is true that unless you know what you want from the multi-class you shouldn't do it. Unless you want something specific, you're most likely going to wind up disappointed.

Vogie
2018-05-25, 09:22 AM
Presumably you'll MC after 6 so you can get the empowered cantrips

If you're finding yourself using a lot of low level spells, a dip or two in sorcerer so you have them refresh on short rest rather than long rest. It'll also give you access to Chaos bolt. You also get strong ribbon abilities, such as:

Shadow - Darkvision, pseudo-Death-Ward
Divine Soul - Access to 1st level Cleric spells & a 2d4 luck /short rest
Draconic - Always-on Mage Armor, more HP
Sea (UA) - Underwater Breathing, +Charisma to Lightning spells, augments to cold and movement spells
Stone (UA) - Always-on Mage Armor, access to Smite spells
Storm - Bonus action flight
Wild Magic - Tides of Chaos of DM-variable usefulness
That second dip gives you the sorcery points, which is just another 1st level spell slot if you don't go to 3.

If you don't have strong out of combat healing, and want to add some utility spells & inspiration, 2 levels in bard will give BI, and Song of Rest.

A single dip in warlock will give you access to their ribbons, some of which are neat - healing in celestial, AOE frighten from Archfey, THP from Fiend, Telepathy from GOO, Hexblades' curse, Sanctuary vs Undead from Undying, and the Raven or Shielding Aurora from the UA product. The second level will give you access to the invocations... although you'd likely only use the EB alterations, super-darkvision, the At-will abilities (Mage armor, disguise self, silent image, detect magic, false life), or things that only make sense with a very specific campaign (Speak with Animals, proficiency in the Deception and Persuasion, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, Bane).

SirGraystone
2018-05-25, 11:15 AM
The first question is why does she want to multiclass, then to what class.

If she's bored of being a wizard maybe it would be better to simply make a new character. If she think she doesn't do enough damage, maybe a look at her spell list can help.

With more information, we can give you better advice :-D

CTurbo
2018-05-25, 01:36 PM
Yeah I'm still waiting to find out why she wants to multiclass at all.

I still think a some Rogue levels would be fun. Expertise, Cunning Action, and some extra damage if you just had to use your dagger.

With an AC that terrible, multiclassing to get Medium Armor and possibly shield would be much worth it IMO. A single level of Fighter would bring her AC up from 11(14 with Mage Armor) to 18 with Breast plate + shield + Defensive Fighting Style, and free up a spell slot. +1 with Half plate.

djreynolds
2018-05-25, 02:23 PM
My advice is, don't.

I played a Cleric 1/Wiz X and while the armor proficiency, extra spells (Bless) and cantrips (Guidance) were great, losing even one level of "spells known" was notable and annoying. And with that Wisdom score, she wouldn't qualify for Cleric.

For 5e in general, the advice is "if you don't know what you want to gain by multiclassing, don't do it"

Very true, don't bother multiclassing