PDA

View Full Version : Is the Crimson Mantle Really a Mantle?

kpenguin
2007-09-06, 12:57 AM
Is it just me, or does the Crimson Mantle not look like a mantle? Is it a misnomer?

Setra
2007-09-06, 01:04 AM
It doesn't really look like one.

More like a cape.

Though it could just be what's left of it?

Theodoriph
2007-09-06, 01:15 AM
man·tle /ˈmæntl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[man-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tled, -tling.
–noun
1. a loose, sleeveless cloak or cape.

It seems to fit the bill perfectly :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2007-09-06, 02:59 AM
Yeah, but it isn't really crimson. It's more like scarlet. :smalltongue:

wojonatior
2007-09-06, 05:43 AM
i think its a cape

kpenguin
2007-09-06, 05:44 AM
Perhaps it was originally a mantle, but years of wear and tear have worn it down to a cape.

Zeb The Troll
2007-09-06, 05:59 AM
Isn't mantle just a fancy word for cape? Like crimson is a fancy word for red?

Caffeine Addict
2007-09-06, 06:24 AM
I always wonder if the crimson mantle goes on the burgundy wall over the scarlet fireplace...

But then I'm English / tired / weird...

<small>Fecking idiot with stupid fecking typos...</small>

Theodoriph
2007-09-06, 09:10 AM
Perhaps it was originally a mantle, but years of wear and tear have worn it down to a cape.

man·tle /ˈmæntl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[man-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tled, -tling.
–noun
1. a loose, sleeveless cloak or cape.

A mantle IS a sleeveless cloak or cape. You're wrong. You must come to grips with that. :smallbiggrin:

Goofy
2007-09-06, 09:34 AM
A crimson mantel, however, would be placed over a fireplace.

chibibar
2007-09-06, 09:54 AM
A crimson mantel, however, would be placed over a fireplace.

Heh.. it is a relic and it probably won't burn.

WalkingTarget
2007-09-06, 01:35 PM
I always wonder if the crimson mantle goes on the burgundy wall over the scarlet fireplace...

But then I'm English / tired / weird...

You may be English/tired/weird, but you're also funny (at least, I got a chuckle out of this).

Saithis Bladewing
2007-09-06, 01:39 PM
Isn't mantle just a fancy word for cape? Like crimson is a fancy word for red?

Crimson is not a 'fancy word for red', crimson is a specific shade of red.

Theodoriph
2007-09-06, 02:56 PM
Heh.. it is a relic and it probably won't burn.

A mantel is:

man·tel /ˈmæntl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[man-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a construction framing the opening of a fireplace and usually covering part of the chimney breast in a more or less decorative manner.

I thought I'd post that. I wasn't sure if you understood his joke :smallsmile:

Kgw
2007-09-06, 03:00 PM
Crimson is not exactly red, but somewhat darker.
And a mantle is usually wider tan a cape, or a cloak.

In Spanish we got the same dilemma.

kpenguin
2007-09-06, 04:48 PM
From Merriam Webster online:

Main Entry: 1man·tle
Pronunciation: 'man-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mantel, from Anglo-French, from Latin mantellum
1 a : a loose sleeveless garment worn over other clothes : CLOAK b : a figurative cloak symbolizing preeminence or authority <accepted the mantle of leadership>
2 a : something that covers, enfolds, or envelops b (1) : a fold or lobe or pair of lobes of the body wall of a mollusk or brachiopod that in shell-bearing forms lines the shell and bears shell-secreting glands (2) : the soft external body wall that lines the test or shell of a tunicate or barnacle c : the outer wall and casing of a blast furnace above the hearth; broadly : an insulated support or casing in which something is heated
3 : the upper back of a bird
4 : a lacy hood or sheath of some refractory material that gives light by incandescence when placed over a flame
5 a : REGOLITH b : the part of the interior of a terrestrial planet and especially the earth that lies beneath the crust and above the central core
6 : MANTEL

The relevant part is bolded. The Crimson Mantle does is not worn over clothers. A quick Google brings up images that show how a mantle is worn over the clothing. Redcloak does not wear a garment that is worn like a mantle.

Also, crimson is a dark shade of red. The Crimson Mantle does look like crimson, not scarlet or the generic red color.

Tenebrous
2007-09-06, 05:31 PM
Personally I'm an adept of the theory that people (men anyways) are like old computer monitors: they (we) register only 16 colors, 14 are the same for everyone and the last 2 depend on the person.

Thus, the same way, purple, dark pink, lilat and fuschia are de facto the very same thing, so are red, crimson and scarlet.

Well...I can't tell the difference anyways =P

kirbsys
2007-09-06, 06:06 PM
But what is in a name? Elan by any other name would be as dumb, would he not?

wojonatior
2007-09-06, 06:06 PM
what year was your moniter made tenebros?

Tenebrous
2007-09-06, 06:13 PM
what year was your moniter made tenebros?

Like I said, an OLD monitor!! Some people might not remember, some might never have seen it and some might have chosen to forget, but there was a time when pcs were similar to an overrated calculator.

Windows 3.0 (or was it 3.x), or something to that effect. I remember the time when the most exciting thing that could be done on my computer was to mess arround with paintbrush (not even solitaire).

But I can now read Oots with a very nice LCD screen:smallbiggrin:

wojonatior
2007-09-06, 06:15 PM
ok then. and by the way why dont we just say the cloak redcloak is the crimson mantle and let the thread die.

Green Bean
2007-09-06, 07:56 PM
Is it just me, or does the Crimson Mantle not look like a mantle? Is it a misnomer?

It's a shawl. Or possible a stole. Of course, it could be a gabardine, pelerine, talma, or a capote. Heck, since it's a stick comic, it might even be a pelisse for all we know.

Theodoriph
2007-09-06, 09:45 PM
@kpenguin

Originally Posted by Merriam Webster
Main Entry: 1man·tle
Pronunciation: 'man-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mantel, from Anglo-French, from Latin mantellum
1 a : a loose sleeveless garment worn over other clothes

Thank you for proving my point. Redcloak is indeed wearing a mantle according to your definition.

The fact that there are different styles of mantles and different ways to wear them does not surprise me. There always are with clothing. You see it with underwear, shirts, pants, socks, belts etc.

I searched on google images as you requested.

http://pages.videotron.com/fldelyse/MAR1002-s.jpg
http://pages.videotron.com/fldelyse/MAR1001-s.jpg

They look very similar to the way Redcloak wears his. A good old sleeveless mantle (sometimes called a cape). The female is also wearing a circlet, wimple and veil (they're separate from the mantle).

Here's another...as the website says..."Mantle or Childs' Cape"

http://www.woollycat.net/images/cape.jpg

A few more. Note the different styles.

http://www.fabrics.net/colpics/102/5briton.jpg
http://www.fabrics.net/colpics/102/6byzantine.jpg
http://www.fabrics.net/colpics/102/7italianmed.jpg
http://www.fabrics.net/colpics/102/9spain16th.jpg
http://www.fabrics.net/colpics/102/11england16th.jpg

You're wrong. You didn't quite know what the word meant and made a mistake. We all do at some point. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

DreadSpoon
2007-09-07, 01:04 AM
but there was a time when pcs were similar to an overrated calculator.

You're young. There was a time when PCs couldn't even begin to compare to a cheap graphing calculator, and the pre-PCs could barely match a standard $2 pocket calculator.

kpenguin
2007-09-07, 01:39 AM
BIG EVIDENCE POST

I concede.

How often does that happen on the internet?

Sly Reference
2007-09-07, 02:01 AM
Personally I'm an adept of the theory that people (men anyways) are like old computer monitors: they (we) register only 16 colors, 14 are the same for everyone and the last 2 depend on the person.

Thus, the same way, purple, dark pink, lilat and fuschia are de facto the very same thing, so are red, crimson and scarlet.

Well...I can't tell the difference anyways =P

Don't assume everyone has the same limitations you do. Though Lord knows there are a lot of people like you (like my father and sister), but some of us can distinguish many more colors than that.

I believe that's one of the core reasons why some people don't like visual arts like painting and others do -- many of those who don't like them aren't actually seeing the entire range of colors used, so it's more boring than it is to people who can see a broader diversity.

Hshelton
2007-09-07, 03:37 AM
It's a shawl. Or possible a stole. Of course, it could be a gabardine, pelerine, talma, or a capote. Heck, since it's a stick comic, it might even be a pelisse for all we know.

So does that mean we could possibly, very soon even be reading about the stolen red stole, but no one will know because it's been replace with a fucia towel. Well most of us won't know, but the 2% who see the various shades of red will notice the color is greatly off.

Lissou
2007-09-07, 05:55 AM
Well, to me, "Crimson Mantle" is just "Red Cloak", except it sounds better. It's also more specific, I guess. But, well, it sounds cool. And i'm not convinced the difference between a cloak and a mantle would appear clearly in OOTS style. They're almost the exact same thing. It's a bit like arguing about the Statue of Liberty not being called "the sculpture of freedom" or whatever.

Theodoriph
2007-09-07, 01:40 PM
It doesn't happen! I am literally shocked and awed :smallbiggrin:

I think I might go wander off and buy a lottery ticket. Maybe lightning can strike twice.

NerfTW
2007-09-07, 03:10 PM
Even more disturbing is that someone conceded on this forum, where even if the author himself shows up and says "no, you're wrong", people will just argue that he's lying.

Green Bean
2007-09-07, 03:50 PM
Even more disturbing is that someone conceded on this forum, where even if the author himself shows up and says "no, you're wrong", people will just argue that he's lying.

He has left behind something greater than himself. :smallcool: